Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys , I just bought a 21mm Elmarit f2.8 lens (the old one) for my Leica MP Typ 240.

Really enjoyed the lens. I just noticed that its min focus distance is 0.7 while i read on the internet that you can find a version that focus at 0.38.

Any other differences between the two lenses ? Somebody here have experience with the close focus version ?

I took some Street Pictures and wrote a little article for my blog: www.walkingphotographer.net/blog/21mm-street-photography

Thanks for your time !

Eolo
www.walkingphotographer.net

The minimum focus distance of Super-Angulon 21/4 and 21/3.4 (pic) is 0.4 meters AFAIK. Those lenses cannot meter in classic mode and exhibit color shifts on digital Ms. Sharp lenses in the center of the frame and rather soft in edges and corners below f/8. Vignetting and chromatic aberration are said to be important but i have no experience with those lenses. 

Super-Angulon f= 2.1 cm 1:4

21mm f3.4 Super-Angulon

First time i hear of a non-RF version of the Elmarit 21/2.8 from 1979 to 1985. Thanks for sharing. My Leitz catalogues from 1980 and 1982 don't mention it at all. See attached scan. I don't know well the history of 21mm Leitz lenses though. The OP might wish to ask his question on the Leica Collectors & Historica forum if he doesn't find a better answer here.

LeicaM_2128_catal.pdf

Edited by lct

This was my remark about confusing. Surely is is just not coupled closer that 0.7m!

I'm pretty sure that Luigi in the collectors area has both, so that may be the place indeed! A search of his started threads with 21 in the title should reveal all.

Michael

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gwpics
      This was taken before the coronavirus problems we now all have.
      Leica M7 + Fuji Neopan T400CN film commercially processed and home scanned.
      Gerry

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By gwpics
      Continuing my trawl through my archives, I found this from Chinese New Year in London 1998. I had been shooting with my first Leica (a M3) for less than a year at this stage.
      Film was Fuji Neopan 400 and the lens was an old Summicron 50mm f2.
      Gerry

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By gwpics
      Because of the covid-19 lockdown I am unable to go out on to the streets to photograph, not that there are any people around. I am therefore still working through my archives, and came across this image from Paris in 2002. Taken with a Leica M6, 50mm Summicron f2 and using Kodak T400CN film (which I used to love!). I hope you like it.
      I have also been revamping my web site using Adobe Portfolio, which is part of the Lightroom/Photoshop package, and like the results so far, although it is a work in progress. Take a look here
      Gerry

• By gwpics
      I haven't posted for quite some time because being a street photographer when there is virtually nobody on the streets during these crazy times is difficult. This was taken prior to the time when we knew the term COVID-19 in 2017.
      Leica M7 + 35mm Summarit-MM f2.5. Fuji Neopan 400CN (C-41) film commercially processed and then scanned by me.
      Gerry

• By Dennis
      Hi all!

I'm planning to get a new 21mm next month. My ideal FL would be a 24mm, but there is not an option with my $1k budget. So I'm getting (happily) a further 21mm. Now, I know huge differences between the two, mostly for size, weight, and speed. I heard great things about the ZM 25, but I don't want to get another Zeiss for now, except for the incredible IQ and performance, I don't like very much Zeiss lenses.
      I love the idea of a small and light $700 21mm lens, like a pancake. With wide angles (21-24-28), I really like to shoot at f/5.6-8, I never had a fast wide lens, so I never use it less than 2.8 with these FL. 
      But I also like the fact that 1.4 gives about 3 extra stops. What for? Environment portraits with shallow DOP, milky way, indoor low light, etc. It's certainly an advantage, but it comes with enormous size and weight. It's not a lens that you carry all day long, so I'm not afraid about weight and size. I can live with that. I would get of course an external VF. And, by the way, I really love the Nokton lens hood shape 🙂 Beautiful.

My question for you guys, if you can share your feedback, it's how both lenses perform in the f/4-f/8 range. This is what I would love to know. The price difference is not so big, so I'could🤷‍♂️ get the Nokton. But if at these apertures performs a little bit worst than Color-Skopar, I don't care to lose three stops, if I have better quality. I like the modern look and sharp images.
      A minimal background: I own an M10 + 2.8/35 ZM and a 50mm Cron V. I don't have a budget now to get another Leica, so I would love to try out a Voigtlander; it would be my first.
      Thank you in advance for your opinions.