My last post

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

with this old Summaron

It's just too soft, I'm afraid.

Unless you want to take really retro looking shots, which are quite fun to do, (but this isn't one of them), but aren't really there any more, this one is not for you. I wish I'd never sold the 2.8 version...

T-Max again

If anyone wants a curiosity, they know where I am. :)

Andy,

Was this taken with Summaron 35 f3.5? My Summaron 2.8 works wonder every time. It's being replaced more and more by the Summilux 35 ASPH for its versatility. But the Summaron 2.8 is still part of the equipment in the toolbox.

Chris

i like the "look" of the lens as you used it. I am kind of in the same boat with my summarit. low average on good shots but....waiting to use it on m8(md,md8???). I think it will be better when we can shoot-chimp-shoot-chimp, and get it just right....b

I think it's a great shot Andy and took some skill to catch the dog in focus in the right place!

I recently bought an old summarit which is currently in Milton Keynes for a CLA as the focus ring was a little sticky; I haven't used it yet but was interested in trying some retro style shots for fun - any advice?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Andy,

Was this taken with Summaron 35 f3.5? My Summaron 2.8 works wonder every time. It's being replaced more and more by the Summilux 35 ASPH for its versatility. But the Summaron 2.8 is still part of the equipment in the toolbox.

Chris

Chris

This is a very early f3.5 Summaron, but without the specs. According to the database, it's from 1954 and it doesn't bring up the 35mm frame line in the M2 viewfinder.

It looks the part, when attached to the front of the body though ;)

As I said before, I should never have sold the f2.8 one...

I think it's a great shot Andy and took some skill to catch the dog in focus in the right place!

I recently bought an old summarit which is currently in Milton Keynes for a CLA as the focus ring was a little sticky; I haven't used it yet but was interested in trying some retro style shots for fun - any advice?

Thanks

My advice would be to stick with real silver black and white (although I do have a roll of Astia in the camera now - it will be interesting to see what that makes of the lens)

In retrospect, I think the lens still has its place, but really as a curiosity piece, rather than something to do anything really serious with.

Thanks Andy,

I have several rolls of Tri-X 400 in the freezer which might do the trick; I've tended to use the chromogenic films (recently Kodak BW400CN) for convenience but I have the changing bag and developing tank sitting in a drawer somewhere, so ought to get my finger out and develop my own films again ;-)

Dan

Yes Andy..these "older lenses" have this look and don't have the visual perfection we look for in modern lenses. All older lenses..like my Dads older lenses are like this, I still use his camera equipment and I am always surprised how beautiful the shots turn out..so it helps like with any camera and lens system to know its weakneses and to work within them.

I like this shot..personally..it doesn't have the "clinical" precision of the newest M 50mm F1.4. ASPH....

Thanks for sharing

Cheers, JRM

By the time the dog had licked the front element, it was most certainly "soft focus" John.

:D

It is surprising how "old fashioned" these images look, even though they are using modern film and developer.