Colors (DNG)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When the Q first came out I read complaints about the colors using the embedded profile with Lightroom.  Then lightroom added their standard profile for the Q and the complaints seemed to go away.  I just generated a custom profile for the Q and thought I'd share the results.

First up: the embedded profile defined by Leica:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by marchyman

Next is the same image using the Adobe standard profile:

And lastly the image generated when using a custom profile generated by the lightroom plug-in that comes with the colorchecker.

The blues are different.  I also see a difference in the red with the custom profile.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting these differences. I got my Q just before attending a photo festival in Palm Springs this last week, & while there a seminar convinced me to get both the Color Munki for my monitor calibration & the same  Passport Color Checker for camera profiles that you show being used.  Very informative to see how it works & I agree with the improvements you note.  I've calibrated my monitor but now I need to start using the camera color checker like you have.

This is interesting, I have been seeing some strange behavior with DNG conversion also. In fact, I like the JPG colors out of camera the best (but not the contrast...) and they seem the most correct.

A clear blue sky at midday measures as follows in Lab (a and b values only):

Camera JPG: -1, -34  (Excellent)

ACR Adobe standard: -7, -31 (Way too green)

ACR embedded: -4, -38 (better, but stronger blue and still green. More saturated than the JPG?)

Iridient developer standard: -2, -38 (just as blue as embedded, less green. acceptable, but JPG wins)

A skin tone of a slightly reddish person (a little sunburn) in the same photo. In all versions, this seems too magenta, but the in camera  JPG wins by miles...):

Camera JPG: 25, 10  (this is may be too magenta, it looks that way, and b should be higher)

ACR Adobe standard: 32, 9 (this is way off, definitively way too magenta)

ACR embedded: 37, 7 (way off again, even worse than Adobe std)

Iridient developer std: 38, 6 (the most worse of them all)

All conversions WB as shot, no adjustments. WB seems correct, neutrals measure as neutral.

So, interesting results, but the in camera JPG wins by miles and actually looks much, much  better when only taking colors in consideration.

I am going to create a profile with the color checker and follow up, but I have the suspicion that the JPG rendering engine in the camera has knowledge about colors that the RAW converters lack. This is a shame, I would like to see good colors out of the DNG and be able to fully exploit the DR in the RAW file, but with the above results, it is obvious that without major tweaking the DNG colors are not usable. This is a big disappointment for me. 

Bart van Hofwegen

Edited by bartvanhofwegen
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...