Firmware-Update Leica M240 / M262 / Monochrom 246

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello members!

Need HELP!

I tried to update my M-P  M240 and messed up something....after SD format on my Leica I could not install update "M240 2030.FW"

my Mac cannot open application, scrolling in to SD card doesn't do anything....message is that card doesn't have any files.

now I have empty SD card and I am with out any info .....

thanks

ETOR

Can you still format a card in your M? If so format a fresh card, re-download a fresh copy of the .FW file and copy to the root directory of that SD card. If you have another formatted  card, that you have used in your M, you can use that instead. Just copy the .FW file to the root directory, insert and hold down info button as you switch on. Make sure you are using a freshly charged battery. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

Excellent - for information, as the update wipes your preferences it can be convenient to export these to SD card and keep this card to one side (or copy to a computer).  You can then go ahead and follow the firmware update instructions. Once installed, you can import your settings and get back to where you were before the update. I've just done this myself and it works...

Hope this saves a few people a bit of time and frustration.  

I use a slightly different approach -- not necessarily better but it works for me.

I scroll through each of the menu items on the back LCD of the camera and use my phone to take pictures of each.  Then, after the FW update, I go through the menu again and compare to my pre-update screen shots and adjust as required.

Great, but how does one export the settings?

I use a slightly different approach -- not necessarily better but it works for me.

I scroll through each of the menu items on the back LCD of the camera and use my phone to take pictures of each.  Then, after the FW update, I go through the menu again and compare to my pre-update screen shots and adjust as required.

Set button.  Scroll to User Profile.  Hit the info button.   Scroll to "Manage Profiles".  Hit the Info button.   Import from card and Export too card are two of the options.  The advantage is that ALL profiles are changed.  Camera pictures will only show the currently used profile (unless you take the time to load each profile and repeat the pictures and hope you don't confuse the images between profiles).

Look at your manual for full instructions.  The above is what I do on my 262... the 240 might be slightly different.

• Like 1

Hello members!

Need HELP!

I tried to update my M-P  M240 and messed up something....after SD format on my Leica I could not install update "M240 2030.FW"

my Mac cannot open application, scrolling in to SD card doesn't do anything....message is that card doesn't have any files.

now I have empty SD card and I am with out any info .....

thanks

ETOR

Start over by formatting the sd card. When you have downloaded the file (make sure it's not the information file) where it says to save the Firmware file at the top level of the card,  it means the bottom of the list of files on your SD card reader. You can just drag the "M240 2030.FW" from downloads to  the Leica M card file.

Edited by jprabbitt
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Refraining from saving profiles doesn't make sense with respect. I would always keep a copy of the profiles file on a hard disk or elsewhere, it will save you a lot of time you can trust me.

Refraining from saving profiles doesn't make sense with respect. I would always keep a copy of the profiles file on a hard disk or elsewhere, it will save you a lot of time you can trust me.

Not that I don't trust you but I am constantly fiddling with my profile so maybe if I am ever firmly to committed to a particular profile I will take your advice.

Thanks, I did all that but after press in and holding INFO and turning ON, Screen on M-P said: File not Found,insert card with correct firmware file.....?

Either you have a corrupt .FW file, in which case re-download and copy to SD card, having deleted original corrupt .FW file or you have not copied the file to the root directory of the SD card. This is the lowest directory you can access on the SD card. If you have copied it for example to DCIM directory/folder, the camera cannot find the file. 

Wilson

• Like 1

By the way, I use whatever card that is currently in my M.  Save my profiles to it.  Take it out and put it into my computer.  Drop the .FW file onto the SD card icon.  Reinsert in M and turn on with INFO button.  I never format or reformat.  The card is already formatted (and contains a bunch of pictures).

Then import profiles off of the card.  The camera starts numbering from where I left off.  No need to complicate the whole thing.

Rick

• Like 3

By the way, I use whatever card that is currently in my M.  Save my profiles to it.  Take it out and put it into my computer.  Drop the .FW file onto the SD card icon.  Reinsert in M and turn on with INFO button.  I never format or reformat.  The card is already formatted (and contains a bunch of pictures).

Then import profiles off of the card.  The camera starts numbering from where I left off.  No need to complicate the whole thing.

Rick

When you say "drop the .FW file onto the SD card icon", does it matter precisely where you put it on the file?

I have never yet performed a FW update that hasn't been a problem at some stage.

I hate them because the benefits of the update, when eventually executed successfully, are never great enough to outweigh the enduring humiliation of the very practical and predictable demonstration of my own incompetence.

• Like 1

I am pretty low in the scale of IT literacy but have never had a problem (touch wood). I haven't a clue what some of the talk about file levels mean. What I do know is that Apple's were designed to work on 'drag and drop'. Download FW file to desktop, load formated card to desktop, open Finder to see FW file and drag FW file over SD card and when green + flashes, drop. Most testing part of job done.

Edited by pedaes

Greetings to you,

congrats cfor this update...    However.... Doesn't work for me/my 240 M-P.

Did everthing according to the book...

"FILE NOT FOUND, PLEASE INSERT MEMORY CARD WITH CORRECT FIRMWARE FILE".

What did I do wrong?

Help requested. Thanks.