M9 Sensor Corrosion and Option for Free Replacement or Voucher

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It appears my sensor has the corrosion. I called Leica NJ and they said send it in for inspection and if corrosion is confirmed they'll either issue a voucher toward a new model or replace sensor for free and that would take about four months. I have had the M9 for a few months and so I'm not an expert on what i can and can't do with this model. Have many people opted for the voucher and bought a new M or M-P? If so, what tipped the scale?
BTW, I bought the M9 for about $2,000, it had about 1,500 clicks, and is in my opinion very clean with no blemishes.

If I went the voucher route I'd get the M-P. Biggest factor is stealthiness and sapphire LCD. Live view would be nice but I don't need (or want) the video feature. 

I'm new to the forum so please forgive if I posted this in wrong section

Thanks.

Edited by jaapv
made legible

4 months is probably accurate. I sent my M9P in in late January. Received the notice a sensor replacement was in order and I should have it back around April 5 and have heard nothing since. I'm calling today to obtain a status, but mid-May would be 4 months.

As to what you should do, well, if it is a case of needing replacement, free new sensor vs. paying the difference on a new model, it's pretty obvious which is the less expensive route if that matters at all, so long as the new sensor is free of the issues with the old one, and that's supposed to be the case. I purchased a new M262 anyway to use alongside the M9P when it returns and love it.

No way around it though, 4 months is a long time while you are waiting it out.

A redundant reply here, the M9 is a wonderful, capable device, and the last of the great CCD cameras.  If you are patient, I would stick with the M9 and await the M11 this fall for subsequent purchases.  Your depreciation will be very small.

Eric

• Like 1

I bought a M 8.2. for a very good price for the time the M9 was in repair. I always can sell it with not much loss. It was the best option in my view. 

I found the upgrade offer not attractive as M 240 is at the end of it´s production cycle M 240  and bodies can be found at very reasonably prices, even with warranty. I decided to skip all current models based on the M 240 sensor, including the 262. Next generation might hopefully have an improved sensor and an integrated EVF.

Stefan

I have an M-E (purchased exactly one-year-ago today) and an M Monochrom (CCD).  I sent my MM in for sensor issues in December 2014, and it was returned to me after 30 days with a note that it only needed cleaning.  I sent it back a few months later with the same spots, and this time they acknowledged corrosion and told me four months.  Almost a year after I originally sent it I was still in the queue for a new sensor and just emailed Dr Kaufmann directly.  A brand new M Monochrom (CCD) was sent to me along with a receipt showing my new serial number as a replacement for my old serial number.  A year was a very long time to wait, but I'm satisfied now with a brand new camera.  My old one was three years old, had over 40,000 clicks and a lovely shine where I'd worn away some of the black finish, and the new one still has the original type sensor, but no spots.

My M-E went in for spots in early June 2015 when it was only 6-weeks-old, and sure enough, it took four months to get it back.  Sadly, my sensor was replaced before the new type sensor was out and I got a new original type.  Still, Leica provided me with an M240 loaner (since they had my Monochrom as well) while I waited for my M-E and my M-E so far has no spots or any other issues.

The way I see it, I have a lot invested in the CCD generation and I've got a nice workflow with them that is fast and easy.  For my style of photography the CCD produces very nice results even in low light where I like to capture the darkness rather than turn it into light as many SLR shooters do.  If my sensors need replacing again, I'll send them again (one at a time this time) and not upgrade to the M240 platform.  In my opinion, its too late in the M240 life cycle to start investing in the platform now.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to everyone for your insight.  Given my budget I'll probably wait a while and then re-evaluate.  Image quality with little cropping is still good and spots are fixable with LR.  Looking on the bright side, knowing I have less leway with cropping will cause me to pay more attention to composition.  My DSLR's 30+ megapixels have been a crutch I use too much.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What is the best way for me, who lives in the USA, to get my M9-P's sensor replaced? I've heard that Leica will put you on a waiting list and you can hold on to your M9 until your new sensor arrives.

Contact Leica USA in New Jersey.

• Like 1

You go online, fill out the service form and send it in. That's the best way to get started. You will have to wait, probably up the same 4 months I did. Sent it in late January and got it back mid May.

They will send you a slip within 3-4 weeks as to what they found, what they are doing and the person's name and phone number will be on the form.