Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0 on M9 bokeh

markforce

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shooting at 2.0 or 2.8 in broad daylight on the M9 (not the right thing for a family photo with everyone in focus, I know).

I was looking for thoughts on the out of focus area in this pic?

Thanks,

Mark

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Mark, this is a truly wonderful lens.

What lacks in the photo (and lets the background look rather busy) is simply your choice of background.

This background is indeed a torture test for any lens of any generation or make.

The sunlight through leaves background is difficult - try a less busy background and shoot this Nikkor more in a classic close up portrait situation preferably at f2 - f4 and you will love it!

Also be aware of it's optical design being a true Sonnar lens. It is a lens design notoriously known for both a strong focus shift when stopping down the aperture (gradually shifting towards back focussing when stopping down) and for not really reaching infinity wide open if calibrated for close up performance (the reason why often these Sonnar design lenses are calibrated for best performance at one stop stopped down and not entirely at close focus but rather at ~1.5m).

Check how your lens is calibrated and know how it behaves depending on aperture and distance.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark, this is a truly wonderful lens.

What lacks in the photo (and lets the background look rather busy) is simply your choice of background.

This background is indeed a torture test for any lens of any generation or make.

The sunlight through leaves background is difficult - try a less busy background and shoot this Nikkor more in a classic close up portrait situation preferably at f2 - f4 and you will love it!

Also be aware of it's optical design being a true Sonnar lens. It is a lens design notoriously known for both a strong focus shift when stopping down the aperture (gradually shifting towards back focussing when stopping down) and for not really reaching infinity wide open if calibrated for close up performance (the reason why often these Sonnar design lenses are calibrated for best performance at one stop stopped down and not entirely at close focus but rather at ~1.5m).

Check how your lens is calibrated and know how it behaves depending on aperture and distance.

A nice lens yes. Handling is clumsy though and at times I find that it takes away from the Leica M "experience". I will be able to directly compare it to the Cron 90 E55 pre-asph soon and see if the patience with the Nikkor is worth it....

A nice lens yes. Handling is clumsy though and at times I find that it takes away from the Leica M "experience". I will be able to directly compare it to the Cron 90 E55 pre-asph soon and see if the patience with the Nikkor is worth it....

The handling of these older lenses is very different form modern lenses indeed. You will find the 90/2 E55 a much more practical user lens.

The Nikkor though has something above the Summicron - it is a true Sonnar design, rendering as only a Sonnar lens can do.

It does best for portraits with controlled backgrounds - women love it ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

The handling of these older lenses is very different form modern lenses indeed. You will find the 90/2 E55 a much more practical user lens.

The Nikkor though has something above the Summicron - it is a true Sonnar design, rendering as only a Sonnar lens can do.

It does best for portraits with controlled backgrounds - women love it ;-)

First impressions with the pre-asph Cron E55 compared to the Nikkor:

- larger/heavier yes but it is not a day and night difference;

- focus throw is shorter and for my needs MUCH better controlled/controllable; BIG difference.

- backgrounds considerably less busy in difficult/bright situations;

- the Nikkor is as sharp at 2.0 if/when focus is achieved....but that is a big if, which brings me to a key difference in my initial opinion:

I manage to get 10 out of 10 shots in focus with the Cron, wide open, and test-shots included my little kids moving. Compare this to 3-5 out of 10 in focus with the Nikkor on same objects. I would largely blame this on the focus throw/handling.

So yes, the Cron appears to be a much more practical lens and that makes a world of a difference for me in terms of comfort level, confidence in the outcome, and all. After 18 months of traveling the LTM world to find the right 85-90, I believe I've arrived 'home'.

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1