28 summilux M on SL

jaay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a new SL and the 50mm APO which I chose instead of the Noct after handling and testing the lenses on the SL.

I'm now considering a 28mm and would love the new summilux but no where has a demo one to try

does anyone know if it performs well in the corners on the SL? Being a recently designed lens I would hope it would be more optimised for digital sensors.

I have a new SL and the 50mm APO which I chose instead of the Noct after handling and testing the lenses on the SL.

I'm now considering a 28mm and would love the new summilux but no where h

Maybe you have heard about Reid Reviews ? Sean Reid is exactly addressing questions like these.

If you can afford these lenses, you can easily afford to access this site.

A short answer: Yes.

+1 , a good read .

If you search for posts by Jono Slack from about 6 months ago, or around the time the SL was released, you'll find lots of discussion and demo shots. Sean Reid also has a detailed test of the 28 Summilux with the SL on his website. 

In short, the 28 Summilux performs better on the SL than it does on the M(240). A remarkable lens. 

I'm now considering a 28mm and would love the new summilux but no where has a demo one to try

does anyone know if it performs well in the corners on the SL? Being a recently designed lens I would hope it would be more optimised for digital sensors.

The 28Lux works fine on the SL (e.g. here and in the following post, plus here); much better than the next-to-new (#11604) 28Cron regarding corner sharpness. It appears that the new 28Cron (#11672) has improved corner sharpness compared to its older sister - so I guess the question is whether the size, weight and cost of the 28Lux triumphs the smaller, cheaper 28Cron #11672. In addition, the new 28Elmarit is reported to work brilliantly on the SL (here and in the following posts). Many options!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

HI There Jaay

do check out Sean Reid - he'll tell you that the 28 summilux is one of the wide lenses which actually plays better on the SL than it does on the M240.

I own one, and use it extensively - I've also done a multi way test of the 28 lenses on both the SL and the M240 (and the Sony A7ii FWIW). . . . . . 28 elmarit Asph (both new and older version) 28 summicron (both old and new version) and the 28 'lux.

Helged asks the question above . . . . and I've answered it to my satisfaction - the 28 'lux is better in the corners than either the new 28 Cron (11672) or the new Elmarit.

I felt that the 28 summilux clearly showed it's superiority, and I'm sure that there is absolutely no downside to it's use on the SL..

. . and my money is where my mouth is!

Sean has also just posted his studio tests on the new 28 Summicron, run alongside the old one, on both M240 and SL.  The new one shows a big improvement.

I confess to really liking the 28 Elmarit-asph for its sharpness and small size, so I bought the new one and flogged the older one (which is a fine lens at f/4 and above), and its Summicron sibling.  I now have the 28 Summilux for the SL and the 28 Elmarit for use on the M[240].  I've spent the past few weeks shooting at 35mm with a very easy-to-use Fuji XPro2, and realized how much more comfortable the 28mm field of view is.

scott

PS: I posted some test shots using the new 28 Elmarit a month or so ago, over at GetDPI forum.  The corners are sharp down to f/2.8 now, and of course f/5.6 for sunny day shots is really perfect.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Sean has also just posted his studio tests on the new 28 Summicron, run alongside the old one, on both M240 and SL.  The new one shows a big improvement.

I confess to really liking the 28 Elmarit-asph for its sharpness and small size, so I bought the new one and flogged the older one (which is a fine lens at f/4 and above), and its Summicron sibling.  I now have the 28 Summilux for the SL and the 28 Elmarit for use on the M[240].  I've spent the past few weeks shooting at 35mm with a very easy-to-use Fuji XPro2, and realized how much more comfortable the 28mm field of view is.

scott

PS: I posted some test shots using the new 28 Elmarit a month or so ago, over at GetDPI forum.  The corners are sharp down to f/2.8 now, and of course f/5.6 for sunny day shots is really perfect.

Scott can you tell us whether the new version of the 28 Elmarit Asph has 10 aperture blades like the old one? I would actually like 10 blades for the sunstars on this lens, but Leica has been using mostly either 9 or 11 lately.

Edited by Steve Spencer

Scott can you tell us whether the new version of the 28 Elmarit Asph has 10 aperture blades like the old one? I would actually like 10 blades for the sunstars on this lens, but Leica has been using mostly either 9 or 11 lately.

10 Blades  (Leica knows your secret wishes ...)

https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-M/M-Objektive/Elmarit-M-1-2,8-28-mm-ASPH2/Downloads

Edited by steppenw0lf

Sorry, but I am traveling now, taking only the SL, and I see that you got your answer just above.

scott