12V power inverter for SL battery charger?

dgktkr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Has anyone used their SL battery charger when it was plugged into an inverter that produces 110VAC from their 12V car cigarette lighter?

Was the inverter of the "modified sine wave" or the "pure sine wave" type?

What's a good brand that will do the job? There seem to be a good number of inverters that might be appropriate, but it is not easy to judge reliability from the reviews.

dgktkr

Hi,

Has anyone used their SL battery charger when it was plugged into an inverter that produces 110VAC from their 12V car cigarette lighter?

Was the inverter of the "modified sine wave" or the "pure sine wave" type?

Who cares as long as it works? Why not tell us why it matters? My Toyota has 115V and a full-time 12V outlet (it is live when the ignition is off), and they do the same job for charging my Leicas.

Who cares as long as it works? Why not tell us why it matters? My Toyota has 115V and a full-time 12V outlet (it is live when the ignition is off), and they do the same job for charging my Leicas.

True. As long as it works and doesn't drastically reduce reliability. Some electronic devices, such as battery chargers (I presume what is meant is car battery chargers) are reported to not work well with modified sine wave inverters. I have no experience with 12VDC to 110VAC low power inverters. That's why I'm asking.

You're fortunate that your car has 115VAC. Mine doesn't.

dgktkr

Edited by dgktkr

For instance, check out http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/128365/could-a-modified-sine-wave-inverter-destroy-damage-the-ac-adapter-for-a-laptop

dgktkr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a cheap inverter that I have had for a couple of years in the car. I can't even remember what type (it fits into a cup holder and has a couple of 2 amp USB ports as well)  it is but at 100 watts it's more than enough to charge a camera battery or a laptop. It cost me about $50 USD. I've charged my SL batteries several times using it and it's just a handy thing to have in the car. 

Gordon

• 4 weeks later...

I sent a query to Leica USA asking if the SL charger needed a pure sine wave inverter, of whether a modified sine wave (IMHO modified square wave) would do. Their reply was a bit vague, but suggested that the latter would do.

So I bought a Tripp-Lite PV100USB. It cost US$20 + tax and shipping. The AC output waveform looks like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The SL battery charger seems to work fine with it.

dgktkr

Edited by dgktkr

I was going to get one of these https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK652100.html, as I also wanted it to charge my 15" MacBook Pro with an 85W PSU. I have been told that the Apple PSU/Chargers don't like square wave inverters. Anyone got any experience of this? 

Wilson

Word of warning on using inverters - a friend was using one of these on his Jaguar E-Type on a classic car rally I was on, to charge his laptop, phone and camera battery during a lunch stop. He was using it connected via the 12V auxiliary socket (cigar lighter) on the car. The wiring loom went on fire. Luckily there were 100 other competitors around him, all of whom had fire extinguishers  :), so the fire was put out very quickly but he was out of the rally and had a lot of mess from the extinguisher foam to clear up. The 12V socket on most cars is not designed for the sort of current draw these inverters require (over 30 amps for a 300W inverter due to efficiency losses). A dedicated connection to the battery is probably the safest option. 

Wilson

Also likely that an E-type was wired pin negative, as was common at the time. This would most certainly cause problems with high draw pin positive devices. Especially one drawing 300 watts. I once had a Triumph Stag and it also required running a new loom for the stereo and accessories I fitted. In that vehicle a new larger battery and alternator was also fitted because the vehicle just wasn't designed for the power consumption we expect in more modern cars.

I worked my way through University installing high end car stereos and we always ran independent wiring loom in older vehicle because of this. Modern vehicles have no real issues with these devices up to about 120W and are almost all now pin positive as are all modern accessory devices. Also I have not seen a 300W inverter fitted with a cigar plug, from the factory. They are specifically designed for direct battery connections as I have done in my Land Rover, which is connected to an auxiliary battery. It would be a bit silly to modify one to power through a cigar plug, especially as 120 watt would be more than enough for a laptop, phone and camera simultaneously.

I used to run a dedicated connection because I didn't want to take up the only accessory socket in the car. But now my cars all have more than one, from the factory. My Land Rover has 4 sockets. Even a modern Mini has two. And you have to pay extra to get the cigar lighter bit.

Gordon

Gordon, 

I seem to remember that that E-Type is an alternator not dynamo one, so almost certain negative earth, unlike the dynamo models (it was stored in my barn for about two years, so I should remember). I think the main problem is that the auxiliary circuit on an E-Type from memory, is protected by a 35 amp fuse, which is considerably in excess of what some of the circuits could handle - another bit of genius design from the British car industry. 

Wilson

I was going to get one of these https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK652100.html, as I also wanted it to charge my 15" MacBook Pro with an 85W PSU. I have been told that the Apple PSU/Chargers don't like square wave inverters. Anyone got any experience of this?

Wilson

The one you linked is a pure sinewave model so you should be fine.

My old 15" macbook pro spent most of its life charging from a cheap 150w inverter, and my current 13" has been charged maybe a dozen times from it too.

No issues so far

Perhaps a more explicit warning than Wilson's is in order here. The 300W pure sine wave inverter should do just fine for the Macbook Pro charger, but you would be well advised to think through the 12V connection.

The inverter Wilson refers to has a 35A fuse on the 12V input. If you plan to connect it through your car's cigarette lighter, it would make sense for you to verify that its current carrying capacity is compatible. My car, for instance, has a cigarette lighter circuit rated at 15A.

dgktkr

Edited by dgktkr

• 2 years later...

I have 4 pairs of 12volts, 125watt polycrystalline solar panels and an inverter of 12volt 1.2kva with the intention of powering total loads of 450 wattage. I also had charge controller of 30 amperage, and was able to access sunshine for 8 hours.

Edited by jaapv
link to commercial site removed

• 1 month later...

By using direct current from a battery during power outages and recharging those same batteries seamlessly when utility alternating current is available an inverter charger will give you a worry free solution to regular power losses.

13 hours ago, AZN said:

Or you could get a Nitecore SL battery charger which runs off a powered USB port:

https://www.nitecorelights.com/products/ulsl-travel-charger-for-leica-sl-series

I have one of these and it has replaced the standard Leica charger which came with the SL.

Bought it thorugh an eBay dealer and saved a few $s.

I have this charger as well and really like it.  I can charge from a computer or a rechargeable battery that I carry with me while I travel.  Either works well.