Replace M8 shutter or LCD rear screen?

Ernstk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M8 has a badly damaged LCD screen that is unusable. Apart from that, the camera works perfectly.

I've just bought a damaged M8 which is perfect apart from a jammed shutter.

Is it easier to replace my LCD with the one from the 'new' M8 or easier to put my good shutter into the M8 that I've just bought?

My gut feeling is that the screen would be easier. If this is the case, is it something I could do myself? I'm fairly competent with fiddly jobs!

Thanks

Ernst

Thanks both. Yes, you're probably right.

The thing that made me think about DIY was the thread on here 'Anatomy of the Leica M8' http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/21079-anatomy-of-the-leica-m8/page-1 which shows that the entire rear half of the camera is fairly easily removed. I was thinking about simply swapping over the two rear parts.

Ernst

• Like 2

I can see your point Ernst.

By sending it in, you'll get new covering, clean, check rangefinder...and the full servicing with a warranty.

Yes, "Anatomy..." by Mark Norton are famous pages.  I wonder how many people have been temped...then sproing ...a spring lost forever.

Have a go if you're brave enough, and want to save some money.

Let us know how you get on.

all the best Dave S

Dave

What you say makes sense but I really want to do this on the cheap (I've just upgraded my M240 to an M-P, so don't really want to incur more M body expense)

I'm not sure how Leica would react to me sending them 2 damaged M8s and saying "Make me one good one from these"...!

I bought the 'new' M8 for a couple of hundred £££ (Interestingly, it's coming from Lismore,NSW in Australia)so I think I'll have a go at replacing the rear half of my camera with the rear half of the new one (with functional screen)

I'll keep you posted as to how things go...

Ernst

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

wow ernst,

that´s a thrilling challenge, keep us  in the loop.

btw the lcd of the m8 is totally overrated,

if i have the same problem i will mask  the lcd  with some fitting leather   ;)

lambda.

Edited by Guest

wow ernst,

that´s a thrilling challenge, keep us  in the loop.

btw the lcd of the m8 is totally overrated,

if i have the same problem i will mask  the lcd  with some fitting leather   ;)

lambda.

Hi lambda

Yes, the LCD is not that good. I've been using my M8 as a film Leica (or an M60)for a few months and it's quite interesting.

Not being able to view photos just after you've taken them is OK and is actually quite refreshing. However, it's painful not to be able to change any settings.

Luckily, most of the settings were where I wanted them when the LCD got broken.

Ernst

hi ernst,

i always shoot with base iso and pull the iso when i develop the raws.

you will find some threads about this procedure in the forum.

this is( imo) the best way to shoot high iso!

so i really do not need to change my setting.

lambda.

ernst, 

in  fact i often use high iso,

but my camera setting( manuel mode)  is at base iso... who cares!!!

for example:

my camera setting is always @160 ,so my picture is  underexposed because in fact i need iso 800-> my lcd sceen is nearly black when the picture appears  ;)

i push the iso in the raw editor (up to 5stops) .

try it ,works fine!!!!

the quality is better than the normal way (setting the iso at the cam, don´t forget the cam is about ten years old) 

current raw converter do a great job with theses old files ;-)

lambda.

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure how Leica would react to me sending them 2 damaged M8s and saying "Make me one good one from these"...!

If Leica will ever be able to repair two broken M8 into a single operating camera, it might be to be feared that the repair costs will be higher than the second hand price for a well-preserved and especially fully functional third M8.

If Leica will ever be able to repair two broken M8 into a single operating camera, it might be to be feared that the repair costs will be higher than the second hand price for a well-preserved and especially fully functional third M8.

Absolutely! I have all the parts, I just need to work through the disassembly process.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even think Leica would do that (use your secondhand parts from another camera) as they have to give a warranty for their work, and AFAIK the independent repairers won't touch digital M's, so DIY is probably your only option anyway. 

Presumably swapping the LCD is a 'plug n play' type of switch assuming you can take the necessary parts off. 

I don't even think Leica would do that (use your secondhand parts from another camera) as they have to give a warranty for their work, and AFAIK the independent repairers won't touch digital M's, so DIY is probably your only option anyway. 

Presumably swapping the LCD is a 'plug n play' type of switch assuming you can take the necessary parts off.

The M8 body splits into two halves. My plan is to swap over the rear half containing the LCD.

But, as my fellow countryman once wrote "The best laid plans of mice and men..."

Ernst

ernst, 

in  fact i often use high iso,

but my camera setting( manuel mode)  is at base iso... who cares!!!

for example:

my camera setting is always @160 ,so my picture is  underexposed because in fact i need iso 800-> my lcd sceen is nearly black when the picture appears  ;)

i push the iso in the raw editor (up to 5stops) .

try it ,works fine!!!!

the quality is better than the normal way (setting the iso at the cam, don´t forget the cam is about ten years old) 

current raw converter do a great job with theses old files ;-)

lambda.

And if you do the same with the service mode and m8raw2dng sw, the uncompressed raw files work quite a bit better for pushing.

Pity it is so fiddly to set up every time (otherwise the camera forgets and shoots JPEG files only) so not practical, but definitely maxes out the M8's image quality

Edited by padam