E-82 UVa II Filter on Vario-Elmarit 24-90 ?

profus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those of you who bought 24-90 - do you use any filter on it?

Normally I do not like to put anything on my lens, but it's probably a good idea to do it anyway on more expensive lenses to

protect front element in every day use...

Than again - this Leica UVa Filter costs 280€?! Is it really that good? As UV filter it is not doing really much, but I assume it

is of top quality not affecting lens' basis optic characteristics...

Any thoughts, tnx?

BR / Alex

Age old debate: to protect or not.  

I protect.  

A B&W UV filter is cheaper to replace than the front element of the lens.  Is there a quality loss?  Marginal and probably invisible, especially if you use the lens hood.

Regards

Peter

• Like 3

I protect.  

A B&W UV filter is cheaper to replace than the front element of the lens.  Is there a quality loss?  Marginal and probably invisible, especially if you use the lens hood.

Regards

Peter

+1

I protect.  

Regards

Peter

Yep, I am aware this is an old debate...

I was more wondering about - in my opinion! - extremely high price for this Leica UV filter...are you saying there's a cheaper alternative ( B&W one)?

Thank you again!

Yep, I am aware this is an old debate...

I was more wondering about - in my opinion! - extremely high price for this Leica UV filter...are you saying there's a cheaper alternative ( B&W one)?

Thank you again!

At B&H you can get a Bower 82mm UV filter for $6.50 USD.

Then they range all the way up to one from Tokina that's "hydrophilic" for $420 USD.

The B+W is just above the middle of the range.

Hoya are good quality at a reasonable price. ($150).

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

I don't use a filter. I find the lens hood more than adequate for protecting the front element while carrying around.

Same here. 

I have only one 82mm filter ... a Rodenstock circular polarizer. I've used it twice now. 

• Like 1

I protect.  

Regards

Peter

If we speak of quality loss, this would rather be for the Leica filter and not the B + W. B + W have better coating and are easier to clean. I am not sure who makes the Leica filters for Leica. The UV/IR filters were Japanese.

• Like 1

No lens hood

No UV or other filter

Despite extensive use over 4.5 months there isn't even any dust on the front element ....... no idea what it is coated with but it works wonders......

No ..... I'm not stupid...... I'm just a bit more careful ..... which to be honest you should be with a combo costing GBP 9k .....

Leica UV filter 82mm. Why pay so much for Leica lens and slap on a cheap UV? All your images pass through it.

It is as good as running 4 Kumho tyres on a Mercedes Benz SL.

Not quite. Leica does not make the filter themselves, they buy the filter glass, normally from Schott (AKA B&W).

Not quite. Leica does not make the filter themselves, they buy the filter glass, normally from Schott (AKA B&W).

The source can be the same, the quality control and specification differ! Tell me the source of glass Leica useses is more exotic comparing to Nikon & Canon?

• 2 years later...

I always use a B+W or Heliopan UV filter in front of my 24-90. Particularly when shooting in seaside conditions where salt water spray could land on the front element. Sea water (spray) can be"sticky" and can even become gritty when dry. No sense putting micro scratches on the front from dried salt.  I have never noticed a decline in IQ when using a decent filter.

It says on the box that the Leica 82mm UVa II is made in Japan.

It's a question of ultimate performance which can to some degree be expressed as total light transmission.

I can't remember the exact figures of an independent lab test that was published but many UVa filters transmit ~98%

Good ones get up to 99.5%.  The Leica UVa II transmits 99.9% in the visible spectrum.

Basically there is no flare.  I count this as a small but significant plus.

Lensrentals published the 99.9% light transmission number. They also showed a $70 filter at 99.8% and a $20 filter at 99.5% so it’s not a big difference between the good filters despite big price differences.

They did another test for distortion but didn’t have a big enough Leica filter to include in that test.

Lensrentals has done a lot of filter articles.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2017/06/the-comprehensive-ranking-of-the-major-uv-filters-on-the-market/

• Like 2

Tell me the source of glass Leica useses is more exotic comparing to Nikon & Canon?

Karbe gives a good example with the glass used in the 50 Summilux ASPH...

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/leica-lens-saga-interview-peter-karbe-page-2

An excerpt....

“For example, the glass I chose for lens element 3 is of crucial importance in minimizing the secondary color aberration. This glass, formerly made at the Leitz glass laboratory, was for a long time offered by another supplier who had taken over its production. But they had stopped making it, so I had to “encourage” another German glassmaker to literally reinvent this glass type. Today this glass is extremely expensive. Indeed, the material for this lens element alone costs as much as the glass used in all the other lens elements of the Summilux 50mm f/1.4 ASPH! In short, optical design software, as useful as it can be, will not help in choosing the appropriate glass types, especially those used to minimize secondary chromatic aberration.”

Jeff

Leica UV filter 82mm. Why pay so much for Leica lens and slap on a cheap UV? All your images pass through it.

It is as good as running 4 Kumho tyres on a Mercedes Benz SL.

I agree! A top-quality lens requires a top-quality filter!

Generally I haven't used filters for my M-lenses. But already from the beginning I was considering one for the 24-90 since it is so expensive. In the end I decided to use a B+W protective, not because of the price but in order to put the lens shade away. I am also experimenting with a filter on the 75mm SL to put away the shade and thus reduce the size.

For my photos the potential quality loss is not important but more in my mind. I see it as a minor compromise and a choice between optimal quality and handling.