LEICA Q FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0??? WISH LIST!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To the list for the firmware:

I find it almost incomprehensible that the right side controller button requires a right-side click to save a setting, instead of the central push button, which is used on every other camera I have seen with such a control. I just got the Q and spent 20 minutes trying to save settings by pressing the central button and each time was redirected to the menu.  I actually had to go to the instruction manual!

I'd be interested to find our what prime 42mm lens you have been using as favourite on other full frame bodies. 

Hi:

For a DX sensor my favorite focal length is 28mm, which translate to 42mm in 35mm or FF format.  For my D5500 - IR, I have the Nikon 28mm f/1.8G and for my X-T10 I have the Fujinon 27mm f/2.8. In addition for my D750, I have the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC. It is not 42mm but close enough.

Hektor

Edited by Ramesses
  • Like 1

To the list for the firmware:

I find it almost incomprehensible that the right side controller button requires a right-side click to save a setting, instead of the central push button, which is used on every other camera I have seen with such a control. I just got the Q and spent 20 minutes trying to save settings by pressing the central button and each time was redirected to the menu.  I actually had to go to the instruction manual!

To save a menu setting, you push the center button of the control button.

Birding mode and the remote.

While this feature probably regards a minority of users, it happens the present "birding mode" would be very fine to be used along with a tablet, so as to show the birds (or... the planets, at night) to a larger audience while one is dealing with aiming and focussing on the cam and scope.

This alas won't work at all, because once the Q connects to the tablet, it switches off the rear view. And then, you cannot adjust quickly, dfinitely. These things barely work for picturing stars, because you have plenty of time and are motivated by a fully remote trigger without any vibration -but this just does not work with moving birds...

My take is, there definitely is a significant opportunity to enhance things, and by the way to show the Q in direct action, through allowing both the rear panel AND the remote control at the same time.

I understand it'd be a concern to get commanding from both sides (the tablet + the rear panel) : you don't need to implement that, just showing the image on the rear panel, plus maybe some "remote-controlled" sign will be enough.

I second the 75mm version idea

I've gone through the Lumix GX8 with 42.5 f1.2, the Sigma DP3m, the Sony A6300 with 50mm f1.8 and the Fuji XPro2 with 56mm f1.2 for my second tele body, because I always feel that I can't live with only the Q, yet none of those cameras/systems is as fun to shoot, or as well designed as the Q

With a short tele version of the Q (and cropping for 90/135), in addition to my current Q (and occasional stitch pano's when I need something really wide for landscapes)  I could cover probably 95% of my shooting needs, with a very easy to travel with 2 body solution sharing the same design, interface, battery etc.

Pricey kit for sure, but it would be a cracker

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we'll not see another firmware upgrade for the Q, leastways not this year anyway. Leica has it's hands full trying the make the SL system "professionally" more attractive in terms of an expansion of the present dedicated SL lens options, and then of course there's the continuing rumours of a "new M" announcement said to be due in September.

Leica has never been good at timely product firmware upgrades, when forced they will quickly address some things with new systems as they did with the SL but to add features or firmware modifications to an existing camera system like the Q that now been out in the wild for a couple of years, ( is it two or more years now? ), I believe isn't going to happen. I think for Leica the Q has been "good enough", a good experiment that's paid off very nicely for them and has pointed a developmental direction that may expand down the road, but any further noodling with the firmware I can't see happening which is a pity because for me just a few changes would really make the camera damn nigh perfect……..

Hopefully I'm wrong……...

and I am still trying to sort out the NFC for my iPhone's usage...

There's nothing to sort out.  Apple does not allow access to iPhone NFC to outside developers.  It only works with Apple Pay.  That may change in the future.

Edited by marchyman
  • Like 1

I second the 75mm version idea

I've gone through the Lumix GX8 with 42.5 f1.2, the Sigma DP3m, the Sony A6300 with 50mm f1.8 and the Fuji XPro2 with 56mm f1.2 for my second tele body, because I always feel that I can't live with only the Q, yet none of those cameras/systems is as fun to shoot, or as well designed as the Q

With a short tele version of the Q (and cropping for 90/135), in addition to my current Q (and occasional stitch pano's when I need something really wide for landscapes)  I could cover probably 95% of my shooting needs, with a very easy to travel with 2 body solution sharing the same design, interface, battery etc.

Pricey kit for sure, but it would be a cracker

I also have a Sigma DP3m and i like the 75mm equivalent and almost macro ability but I really hate to use it: too slow, no VF, basically useless display in bright light and dynamic range too limited but once in a while it allows me to make some good pictures. So something so easy to use as the Q with 75mm would be great  (I had a 75mm Summilux and like it too except for its weight), too bad one can not get that through firmware update.

Edited by 40mm f/2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...