LEICA Q FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0??? WISH LIST!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica SL is now getting a major update 2.0!!! WIll the Q be NEXT for major update soon???  Since both cameras share the same sensor, will the SL updates be enhanced also in the Q?

The updates include: by Mike Tomkins ADORAMA

Leica SL (Typ 601)

We've seen some significant firmware updates over the years, but the new Leica SL (Typ 601) firmware version 2.0 update really takes the cake. (And once again, there's an excellent rundown of the new features from the good folks at the Red Dot Forum, so we'll just hit the high points here.)

Perhaps the key area of focus for the firmware update (pun definitely intended!) is to be found in the Leica SL's focusing system. Both autofocus precision and tracking capability are said to have been improved, and the 1-point AF function now has a much finer granularity, providing access to 529 AF point locations, up from just 49 in the previous firmware release.  You can also now set the number of AF points used by the camera to just five or one if you prefer, rather than the default 49 or lower-density 37-point options of earlier firmware. Additionally, focus peaking now has two sensitivity levels, and an on-screen icon indicates the currently-selected peaking color. Also, the autofocus frame is now shown even in continuous low / medium-speed operation. And finally for the focus-related tweaks, a bug in focus point size when using single-point mode and a magnified view has been squashed.

The Leica SL's exposure system has also received a rethink, with quite a few new options. A new Electronic Shutter menu option provides access to shutter speeds as fast as 1/16,000 second, while at the other end of the scale you can also now dial in a manual shutter speed as long as 30 minutes. Exposure compensation, meanwhile, can now be controlled using the top or rear dials (depending on your exposure mode), saving time in the menu system. All Leica flash strobes are now supported, too, and Red Dot Forum notes that TTL and high-speed sync operation have been improved, although it doesn't say how. And flash exposure compensation is also quicker to get to, now that it can be added to the favorites menu or assigned to a shortcut button. As if that wasn't already enough, Auto ISO control can now be given a minimum sensitivity beyond which it will not range.

You might think that was already plenty -- and so do we -- but there is still more! JPEG image quality and the Leica SL's white balance system have both been improved, and you can now adjust JPEG noise reduction levels in three steps. The playback zoom function also now operates even when capturing only DNG raw files. Battery life should also be better if you shoot a lot of long exposures or interval timer series, thanks to more intelligent power-saving functionality. Video format and resolution options are now combined into a single menu, and the optional Leica SCL4 remote control can now be used to trigger video capture.

Throw in support for 20 new UHS-II SD card types -- Red Dot Forum has a full list -- plus support for star ratings that are compatible with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, a new translucent histogram display, the ability to hide lens types you don't own from the list of Leica R or M lenses, and several ore subtle tweaks to operation of the camera, and it's safe to say that the Leica SL is going to feel just about brand-new for a while!

Keeping my fingers CROSSED!  Please give your thoughts and want list.  Maybe Leica will hear US!

Cheers,  

Mengyy

Edited by mengyy

Yes indeed, the amount of changes they did in the update is really phenomenal and never seen before. Some of wish I thought they require hardware change!

Hope to see that in the Q soon.

www.rodriguezahr.com

• Like 1

Not sure if you're looking for building a wishlist. If so, my input would be separating the EVF operation from the rear LCD. I would like the EVF for liveview operation and the rear LCD for image review and operating on menus.

I would second that any day! 

• Like 2

Not sure if you're looking for building a wishlist. If so, my input would be separating the EVF operation from the rear LCD. I would like the EVF for liveview operation and the rear LCD for image review and operating on menus.

Seconded too.

This, and, if that is possible (as mentioned for the SL) some improvement in power use...

H.

Edited by Herve5
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think there already is a wishlist for the Q. German forum members have assembled one.

• Like 2

- allow an option to NAME the user profiles, even if this requires a long setup (done only once) : "default", "museum", "birding"...

- allow to SAVE the global cam setup (including user profiles, prerecorded wifi network passwords etc.) to the memory card, and in a readable text file, that could be re-input back if need be

- any new option, including the above, should be non-intrusive, even, not detectable if not needed

- get a serious index in the manuals, with direct connections in the pdf

- correct the most prominent translation mistakes in the manuals (and start providing a simple way for the owners to send their remarks in this area...)

• Like 2

My wish list:

- allow to use only EVF for shooting and LCD for image review and menu only (like Fuji does)

- allow to shoot DNG only

- allow to bind a function to the video button

- allow to setup auto iso by pressing the ISO button for 1 sec

- allow touch focusing that does not disable arrow buttons

Everything else is perfect.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 5

I recently sent Leica these small suggestions for firmware improvements to an otherwise fabulous camera::

1. Add an option to blank the the rear display except when menus are being reviewed, or when images are being reviewed.  I find that the constant illumination of the display is annoying - and in street work it also lets people nearby see that my camera is "live". However I still want to use the rear display for menus - it seems very unnatural to use the viewfinder for this.

2. May we please have an option (as on the M) to add a prefix to the folder/file numbering. This allows us to ensure that multiple cameras generate unique filenames - and that after a system reset (eg new firmware) we are not reusing old filenames.

3. On the remote control (iPhone) app, please could you:
- allow the shutter to be triggered using a hardware button (eg volume) as this is easier than an on-screen button if taking a self portrait with the phone out of sight
- allow Self-Timer to be locked on.  Often we take a series of self-portraits using the remote control with the camera on a tripod - and after each one we have to fiddle through five presses on the iPhone to re-enable Self-Timer for the next shot
- allow the phone to be rotated into landscape mode for a bigger preview image.

4. It would also be great if you could have an option to shoot DNG-only.  Alternatively, persuade Adobe to offer an import option which only copies DNGs to the computer.  At the moment I have to open each card and manually extract the DNGs before importing to Lightroom, as I do not want the JPGs.

5. Lossless DNG compression (as on the M) would also be helpful, although I understand that this may slow the camera down too much.
  • Like 2

During my first day of being out and about with my Q, this one came to me very quickly.  To me the menus being more of an issue, but review too.  I found it awkward to have to look in the viewfinder to make menu type changes.  

I didn't think I would be alone in this, and in opening this thread I soon found that I'm not! 

• Like 1

1) More assignable functions for programming the 2 programmable buttons.. like the AF mode

2) Some sort of contrast/brightness setting in menu for the EVF

3) Some sort of prefix or start # for the file numbering.. the M now has this.. however I have 1000s of already taken M photos taken with names the Q now collides with

Really not much else, very happy with what I have

• Like 1