LEICA Q FIRMWARE UPDATE 2.0??? WISH LIST!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1) More assignable functions for programming the 2 programmable buttons.. like the AF mode

2) Some sort of contrast/brightness setting in menu for the EVF

3) Some sort of prefix or start # for the file numbering.. the M now has this.. however I have 1000s of already taken M photos taken with names the Q now collides with

Really not much else, very happy with what I have

AF mode is a pain in the butt right now ...... should had it in the quick function assignable button!  

• 2 weeks later...

More setting possibility to the AE Look button. Just hold one time to fix exposure. Now it is impossible to use it, I have to hold down continuously!!!

Yes it is a pain just to hold n shoot!  Ridiculous n hilarious for a modern camera!

In my opinion it would be necessary to correct more effectively the banding in dark areas, which is virtually always known at medium and high iso, especially if pushed. This problem does not seem to have been resolved with the firmware 1.1, and looks truly unworthy for a camera of this level.

Edited by marcobellardinelli
  • Like 2

In my opinion it would be necessary to correct more effectively the banding in dark areas, which is virtually always known at medium and high iso, especially if pushed. This problem does not seem to have been resolved with the firmware 1.1, and looks truly unworthy for a camera of this level.

Agree, unless the are trying to emulate slide film... :) Very limited margin of error in exposure. Push the files a bit, and horrible banding. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just as curiosity, why do you like the exposure compensation as it? I never seen a camera with such implementation, all have been on / off. 

Exposure compensation or exposure lock?   I think the post to which you replied was talking about exposure lock.

FWIW I can live with it ether way.  If I truly want to lock exposure for multiple shots I use full manual.   For shot by shot I half press and recompose for exposure when necessary.  I use manual or back button for focus so there is no overlap in function.

My wish list is pretty much identical to the one SP0 posted             #13            

• Like 1

Just as curiosity, why do you like the exposure compensation as it? I never seen a camera with such implementation, all have been on / off. 

Well, the exposure lock (not compensation) perfectly suits me as it is : in my case, preset to the thumb button, cancelled if I drop that button, and if I don't use it, triggered "as usual" by half-pressing the trigger. I would not like the expo to lock, that's all...

• Like 1

1) AF square needs to be adjustable. So you get a smaller AF area. I don't know if this is possible with the current hardware, but if it is, it needs to be done. 28mm is just to wide to have such a big square.

2) EVF only mode needs to be able to access menus and previews by way of the LCD.

3) Programable movie mode button, if you don't want to shoot movies, you can program the button to do something else.

4) in EVF only mode needs to shut off the EVF when your eye is not up to the viewfinder, thus saving battery. 

There are other things. But those four are major. 

And fix the flash issues.. Make it more reliable in TTL mode. 

Edited by adamdewilde
  • Like 1

I recently sent Leica these small suggestions for firmware improvements to an otherwise fabulous camera::

1. Add an option to blank the the rear display except when menus are being reviewed, or when images are being reviewed.  I find that the constant illumination of the display is annoying - and in street work it also lets people nearby see that my camera is "live". However I still want to use the rear display for menus - it seems very unnatural to use the viewfinder for this.

2. May we please have an option (as on the M) to add a prefix to the folder/file numbering. This allows us to ensure that multiple cameras generate unique filenames - and that after a system reset (eg new firmware) we are not reusing old filenames.

3. On the remote control (iPhone) app, please could you:
- allow the shutter to be triggered using a hardware button (eg volume) as this is easier than an on-screen button if taking a self portrait with the phone out of sight
- allow Self-Timer to be locked on.  Often we take a series of self-portraits using the remote control with the camera on a tripod - and after each one we have to fiddle through five presses on the iPhone to re-enable Self-Timer for the next shot
- allow the phone to be rotated into landscape mode for a bigger preview image.

4. It would also be great if you could have an option to shoot DNG-only.  Alternatively, persuade Adobe to offer an import option which only copies DNGs to the computer.  At the moment I have to open each card and manually extract the DNGs before importing to Lightroom, as I do not want the JPGs.

5. Lossless DNG compression (as on the M) would also be helpful, although I understand that this may slow the camera down too much.

+ 1 for point n. 4

• Like 1

Time lapse and adjustable shutter speed for video. Leica SL allows you to control all three levels of exposure in video but the Q still has a fixed shutter speed. I know heating issues were why they chose not to go 4K with the Q but not sure if that extends to multiple frame rates as well. As much video customization as possible would be welcome.

• Like 1

Things I'd like to see in 2.0:

- Select focus mode on the Fn button (add it to the things that can be controlled with the Fn button)

- Re-assign the video button (I know this has been mentioned - I'll add to the hysteria)

- Enable WiFi connection to a computer, mounting the camera like a WiFi hard drive

- Aperature preview function (for DOF preview)

- Mode with rear screen for menus only

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wish we could crop to 42mm.  In other words, 35mm, 42mm, and 50mm. I consider 42mm my normal focal length - 50mm is a bit too long for me. 35mm is 15 MP and 50 is 8 MP.  42 should be somewhere in between, maybe ~ 10 MP

Hektor

I'd be interested to find our what prime 42mm lens you have been using as favourite on other full frame bodies. 

Wishlist for Q in firmware -

1. EVF for shooting and LCD for image review and using the menu only 

2. Customise Movie Record button and zoom button options.

3. Ability to shoot DNG only - lossless compression option, also

4. Make the Remote Control easier to use - it takes a long time to make it work. Sony have a much more user friendly app

• Like 1