Using Pentax K-mount lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but cannot find it; please just point me in the right direction if it has.

So, I've finally made it to the M-system (M3 at present), and am really enjoying it.  However, I started my 'serious' photography with Pentax, not least because the glass was so good.  In particular, I have the 3 Amigos, the 31mm, 43mm and 77mm Limited primes.

My M-mount lens collection totals just one (a 50mm Cron).  I've seen a K to M mount, but it was expensive.  Before I take the plunge, does anyone have any experience, tips or comments regarding K-mount lenses on an M film body, And in particular any experience with the Limited primes?

Edited by kentishrev

​None of the Pentax SLR lenses or adapters will operate the rangefinder of the Leica, so you have to focus by estimating the distance and set the lens scale accordingly. Of course the digital M with live view could focus them that way. I also started with Pentax, but that was 1966. Still, I have a large collection of Pentax lenses from the film era, from 20 to 200 mm. I use them on the MX and LX for film, and with adapter on the Sony A7 for digital. I don't care for the Pentax dSLR - finders are terrible for manual focus.

i recall that Pentax once made one of their lenses in Leica mount with RF coupling, but I don't remember which.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 1

Honestly, if you've got that trio I think they deserve to be mounted on a body they were designed for. As Tom mentions, MX and LX would be a good bet if you don't already have a Pentax 35mm body hanging around...

i recall that Pentax once made one of their lenses in Leica mount with RF coupling, but I don't remember which.

It was the 43mm Ltd, although I think it was in LTM mount, not M (or perhaps both?). 

• Like 1

Honestly, if you've got that trio I think they deserve to be mounted on a body they were designed for. As Tom mentions, MX and LX would be a good bet if you don't already have a Pentax 35mm body hanging around...

Oh, don't worry, they get use on an MX and P30N.  Also a K-30 for family digital shots.  If I wasn't using them elsewhere, I'd sell and buy a couple of M lenses.  Just kinda hoped I might be able to get some further economy from them :)

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I exhume this post because I'm in the same situation of kentishrev and I'm interested in using Pentax K lenses on digital M body (in particular Leica M-D).

I know that using adapters such as Novoflex will not give the possibility to focus but I have another strange idea: maybe using Visoflex III combinend with Novoflex adapter (or some other adapter) will get focusing work?

Thanks,

Michele

I exhume this post because I'm in the same situation of kentishrev and I'm interested in using Pentax K lenses on digital M body (in particular Leica M-D).

I know that using adapters such as Novoflex will not give the possibility to focus but I have another strange idea: maybe using Visoflex III combinend with Novoflex adapter (or some other adapter) will get focusing work?

Thanks,

Michele

Michele,

Visoflex III would add about 40mm and would act like a 40mm "macro ring" + thickness of adapter K to M.

So only macro or near object use only with Visoflex + SLR lens.

Not for general use for distant subject.

If you have lenses less than 35mm the plain K to M adapter may be used.

Focus with distance marking on the lens and aperture from f/5.6 and more .

Before Tri-Elmar-M 28-35-50, I used with my analog M6 the trusty zoom in K mount Pentax 24-50mm ;) .

The framing may be difficult because of finder blockage of bigger/larger SLR lenses.

M-D don't have liveview to help.