Advice before buying a Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of my shots trying to do Macro on this Lalang.

Even at F2.8(Macro Mode) when I was shooting near, the Background Bokeh still diffuse off nicely leaving the area of focus sharp enough for audience to appreciate.

However, there was some cropping done but still looks good IMO :)

I think the Q is decent for flower shoot if u can set up your camera at the right position.

25786427833_fd4375e3cd_k.jpg

Edited by turbonetics
  • Like 1

Without a doubt the Leica Q is the most fun, satisfying, pure photography tool that I've ever used. Ever! 58 years of being an amateur / hobbyist photographer. I sold a Fuji X100T and bought the Q. What a difference! Everytine I pick up the Q, its a joy. The feel in the hands is superb. The operation, while taking a little time to learn the subtleties, is a joy. Always having the macro with you is a huge plus. Yes, the 28 mm focal length is not the best for close up work and creating nice bokeh in the backgroubd, but every combination is a bunch of tradeoffs. This is the PERFECT travel camera. Focus is fast. Sharp. IQ is stunning because of the combination of the very capable sensor and very sharp 28 mm Summilux f/1.7 lens. This camera has brought excitement and pure photography back to my life. I love it. I guess you can detect that from this post. Get one. Get out. Get focused. Get great images!

A friend took this yesterday of me with the Q. I normally don't like photos of me, but this looks great because of the camera.

IQ is stunning? Do you like the banding of your Q image in the background? This is really not stunning. Do you use firmware 1.1?

Edited by jmschuh

I agree with all the other comments. It is great for street, architecture and landscape at all times of the day and night. You will like the feeling and handling very much.

Macro photography functions well if the subject has the right size and you can manage a good composition. Bokeh is nice and pleasing.

You should consider if you are ready to work with only one focal length. This is a challenge. This will keep you busy with creativity. In the end there will be better results in composition. The image quality is superb. I have a Leica X1 and use an assortment of Leica R lenses on my Canon 5D MKIII. The Leica Q is the best camera I have. On my last trip I took my Olympes Em5 with Leica glass and my Leica Q. The Q was more busy and almost did the whole job.

Good luck with your decisions!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping my thread up as I will ready to buy a Q by the end of the month. (Please don't increase the price again, Leica!)

I am still planning to buy and enjoy every photo posted in the picture- and macro-thread, but a few last thoughts I'd like comments on:

* I see several of you comment on the 28mm FL. I would prefer a 35mm lens if I could choose, but I'm thinking I'll adapt because the camera itself is better than anything else I've ever tried, and I'm quite sure I'll enjoy the Leica quality feel very much. If Leica every makes a 35mm Q, it seems to be a while before its release, and also before it would be available to me.

Anyone else considered buying a Sony RX1r mk II instead due to the 35mm FL? Why did you still choose the Q?

* I am wondering if I might be hesitant to use the camera, either because I'll break it being clumsy, or because its red dot attracts unwanted attention from thieves.

Anyone got any comments to this? -It is probably just me being silly, but I don't think I've ever owned anything this expensive apart from cars and flats...!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

* I am wondering if I might be hesitant to use the camera, either because I'll break it being clumsy, or because its red dot attracts unwanted attention from thieves.

Anyone got any comments to this? -It is probably just me being silly, but I don't think I've ever owned anything this expensive apart from cars and flats...!

I just dropped mine onto a marble surface - not a scratch or sign of damage - it is a solid camera. I have never had attention from the red dot, except for those enthusiasts in the know. Don't over think it - -just get one and get out and enjoy it. It's a wonderful camera.

• Like 2

Here's a flower.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2