Black paint M4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was recently in Tokyo with my family. A wonderful experience and more so given the Sakura already in bloom.

I visited a very few camera shops that stock Leica. One of these, in Shinjuku, had a near mint black paint M4 at a very reasonable 300,000 Japanese Yen.

I held it. I inspected it. I couldn't find any mechanical flaws. If felt beautiful. As solid as a gold ingot (I expect a gold ingot would feel remarkably solid!). Incredibly smooth. Much more so than my M2 or MP. It was amazing. Everything I thought a black paint classic Leica could be.

I left the shop with my family. The M4 stayed behind.

I simply couldn't justify the price of a new lens on another Leica body.

Now I'm completely gutted. I feel like that was my chance to acquire a beautiful black paint M4, and I let it go.

Family comes first and we need so many things more than an(other) indulgence in my hobbies. Still, I was close to saying "why not!"

What Leica related purchase did you let slip away?

You got over it, right!? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I

I left the shop with my family. The M4 stayed behind.

I simply couldn't justify the price of a new lens on another Leica body.

Now I'm completely gutted. I feel like that was my chance to acquire a beautiful black paint M4, and I let it go.

Family comes first and we need so many things more than an(other) indulgence in my hobbies. Still, I was close to saying "why not!"

What Leica related purchase did you let slip away?

You got over it, right!? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you never really get over it, until the next time :unsure:.

Il n'y a pas de quoi.

Even if some M4 BP are "used" and customised ( by a customer of Maison du Leica, Paris, not for sale ! ), they are lovely.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

If I had these M4, I would take care of rust :ph34r: .

The Sour Grapes attitude might help. :) Seriously, some black M4s are repaints, not the original real thing and some are not enamel, so tell yourself that what you found was a fake repaint or lesser and feel good that you didn't buy it. Also remind yourself that the paint doesn't make it better. Or have a shot of whiskey and say, "Ef it"; repeat until better.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Around 30 years ago, in my student days, I had a summer job in a small, local, camera shop. One of the 'regulars' who was getting on a bit knew I had an old Model 1 / IIIa conversion and mentioned that he had a Thambar which he would be happy to let me have for a very reasonable price.

I couldn't fathom out why anyone would want a lens which took out-of-focus photographs and, very politely, declined his generous offer.........

eusa_wall.gif

Pip.

Edited by pippy

The Sour Grapes attitude might help. :) Seriously, some black M4s are repaints, not the original real thing and some are not enamel, so tell yourself that what you found was a fake repaint or lesser and feel good that you didn't buy it. Also remind yourself that the paint doesn't make it better. Or have a shot of whiskey and say, "Ef it"; repeat until better.

Thanks Pico. I like your thinking!

Unfortunately the serial number and paint bubbles pretty well confirmed authenticity, so I'm going with "Ef it" and a shot :)

Cheers

J

Edited by Mute-on

M3 and M2 are the rare black paint beasts, not the M4. There are actually no BP M4 repaints, or at least not nearly as much as M2 repaints.

I wanted to say that there are no M4 repaints that are being passed on as "original BP" (or at least I've never witnessed it) while many M2 and M3 are trying to be passed on as such by their owners.

Still, M4BP are so sexy.

I wanted to say that there are no M4 repaints that are being passed on as "original BP" (or at least I've never witnessed it) while many M2 and M3 are trying to be passed on as such by their owners.

There are some black M2s with serial numbers placed closer to the front of the camera. I don't know if this makes them more rare or just a curiosity.

M3 and M2 are the rare black paint beasts, not the M4. There are actually no BP M4 repaints, or at least not nearly as much as M2 repaints.

Things are changing - try 172170423169 and I've seen another recently with a UK dealer (also stated to be a repaint). I suspect that they are increasing in number and given prices ......

Call the shop in Japan and buy it.  At the end of the day it's only money.  And what is money?  Pieces pf paper with pictures of dead people on them.  You can earn more money.  A chance to acquire your holy grail Leica M may come only once in a lifetime; twice, if you are very fortunate.

Now go call the shop and get your M4.  We pass this way only once and when we are dead, we are dead.  ;)

(JMHO/YMMV/offer not good in Alaska, Hawaii or Samoa)

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Ok, a little update. The shop selling the BP M4 that I spotted still appears to have it for sale. I've been checking on it every few weeks. Alas I am no longer in Japan, and an international transaction directly is not practical.

In any event, I have been in touch with a gentleman who may assist me to acquire my Black Paint M4. Perhaps it will be the same one I saw, perhaps another. We shall see.

I look forward to providing an update to this thread ...

Cheers

J

Call the shop in Japan and buy it.  At the end of the day it's only money.  And what is money?  Pieces pf paper with pictures of dead people on them.  You can earn more money.  A chance to acquire your holy grail Leica M may come only once in a lifetime; twice, if you are very fortunate.

Now go call the shop and get your M4.  We pass this way only once and when we are dead, we are dead.  ;)

(JMHO/YMMV/offer not good in Alaska, Hawaii or Samoa)

Totally AGREE!!!