Lens Hood on the 24-90mm Zoom Lens Cuts off Corners of the Frame

MikelM10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I'm new to the SL and I've just acquired my new camera together with the 24-90mm zoom lens. I've just been reviewing my first images on my Mac using Finder and I notice that when I look at the DNG file in Finder for images where I am zoomed out all the way to 24mm on the zoom, the very corners of the frame are badly darkened by what I take to be the edges of the Lens Hood! How can that be I wonder!? This darkening doesn't appear n the JPEG which accompanies the DNG so I guess it is being preprocessed out before the jPEG is saved. Does anyone else see this behaviour?

Regards

Mike

Are you sure it's the hood and not uncorrected internal vignetting?

I assume you've checked that it still happens without the hood.

I'm not a Mac person, but I assume Finder applies no vignetting corrections - Lightroom or some other decent converter will do this.

Hi All,

I'm new to the SL and I've just acquired my new camera together with the 24-90mm zoom lens. I've just been reviewing my first images on my Mac using Finder and I notice that when I look at the DNG file in Finder for images where I am zoomed out all the way to 24mm on the zoom, the very corners of the frame are badly darkened by what I take to be the edges of the Lens Hood! How can that be I wonder!? This darkening doesn't appear n the JPEG which accompanies the DNG so I guess it is being preprocessed out before the jPEG is saved. Does anyone else see this behaviour?

Regards

Mike

It sounds like you are either not running El Capitan or have not yet installed the latest Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.18: 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205272 for camera support

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1855?locale=en_US download the installer

The SL used with the SL24-90 lens applies lens corrections, which you see in the JPEGs out of the cameras. These corrections require you to use the updated raw processing engine from Apple or Adobe (Lightroom 6.4 or greater, etc). The corner darkening is a matter that the corrections eliminate, particularly at the short focal length end of the zoom's range. 

Edited by ramarren

Why would you 'hope to use uncorrected files?

The SL24-90 lens was designed to be used with the lens correction parameters supplied by its designer. 

I don't think ZagatoV12 was hoping to use uncorrected files. I suspect he was just curious as to why the corners of his photos were dark. They are dark because the processing that was defined for them by the lens designer had not been applied. Simple.