GPS Coordinates embedded in EXIF

t0tor0

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all:

Wonder if any of you carry a GPS around when shooting.

I have a garmin GPS and it does track where I am in what location at what time. It is saved as a *.gpx file.

Do anyone here know of any program that can tag information from gpx file into the EXIF file of JPEGs or DNGs base on the time and date synchronization?

This would be so cool!!

You mean JoboGPS. It fits into the flash shoe of your camera, keeping track of its movements and the time. Later it will match the time to the time in EXIF and write the place or coordinates into the EXIF file.

You mean JoboGPS. It fits into the flash shoe of your camera, keeping track of its movements and the time. Later it will match the time to the time in EXIF and write the place or coordinates into the EXIF file.

Wow!. Really? The software is part of the package or seperate?

I have to check this out.

JOBO AG - photoGPS

I want one, and I want in now <grin>

Reading the blurb on the Jobo website it sits in the hotshoe and firing the shutter causes the device to store the location and 'GPS' time. The provided software (Mac and PC) can then insert the location information - grid reference, street, town etc. - into the Exif data of the images.

Price appears to be around $150, available this summer.

Hi all:

Wonder if any of you carry a GPS around when shooting.

I have a garmin GPS and it does track where I am in what location at what time. It is saved as a *.gpx file.

Do anyone here know of any program that can tag information from gpx file into the EXIF file of JPEGs or DNGs base on the time and date synchronization?

This would be so cool!!

If you use a Mac, this little shareware program will do the job nicely, using your existing GPS unit.

http://oregonstate.edu/~earlyj/gpsphotolinker/

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking at the JoboGPS more, i think it is too big for the hotshoe.

I think I prefer a garmin which i can keep in my pocket or in my camera bag with antenna sticking out. Moreover, I can use it as a map if I get lost also:p

Thanks scho for the link. I sure will try it out.

Does it help you take better photographs?

Nope. Not at all.

It does help for documentary photography. Take pictures and drawout maps later back home on their computers. Useful in countries where maps are not very accurate. There are GPS enthusiast who go round taking photos and updating maps and point of interests.

Moreover, if you see a goldmine, it sures helps u in getting back there.:)

And well, it is just nice to see places where you have been plotted on google earth.

Does it help you take better photographs?

No, but it might help you to go back if you wanted to take a better photograph :-)

I've got shots of small places in France and Germany but I can't remember exactly where I took them. This would let me identify exactly where I was when I took the original.

Actually, if you can find the location of your photo on Google Earth you don't even need a GPS unit. Geotagger will insert lat and long automatically into the exif metadata.

http://craig.stanton.net.nz/software/Geotagger.html

True. But I don't think I am going to do that manually for all 500 - 1000 photos for a trip though.:D

I tried geotagging on zoto.com. Was free at one time. It is not as easy as it sounds. View from the top, it is hard to find that exact spot especially if it is taken in a foreign country. geotagging 5 photos took me like an hour or so? and i get a headache looking so closely into the monitor.

Guest tummydoc
The provided software (Mac and PC) can then insert the location information - grid reference, street, town etc. - into the Exif data of the images.

How does it get the data into the EXIF file? Could such technology be modified to insert user-input lens data into the EXIF as well...i.e. a workaround for the menu that Leica continues to "protect" us from ;)