Problem with the EVF!

• 2 years later...

Obviously, but let me re-phrase:

Anyone with this problem had the repairs carried out after warranty had run out? If so, did you pay for the repairs or where they free of charge since this seems to be a common problem, possibly a flaw in the design of the evf?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update: just handed to the local Leica representative my camera. They say they've never seen anything like that on a Q EVF. The camera will be shipped to Germany this pm and they expect news from Weitzlar in two/three weeks.

Crossing fingers.....

On 4/17/2019 at 8:55 AM, olarsson said:

Obviously, but let me re-phrase:

Anyone with this problem had the repairs carried out after warranty had run out? If so, did you pay for the repairs or where they free of charge since this seems to be a common problem, possibly a flaw in the design of the evf?

1 hour ago, faxao said:

Update: just handed to the local Leica representative my camera. They say they've never seen anything like that on a Q EVF. The camera will be shipped to Germany this pm and they expect news from Weitzlar in two/three weeks.

Crossing fingers.....

Leica has both a reputation of being quite generous in these cases and at the same time  of going all German-formal on some customers. I would advise you to keep in telephone communication with Leica CS Wetzlar, personal contact works very well with this company.

59 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Leica has both a reputation of being quite generous in these cases and at the same time  of going all German-formal on some customers. I would advise you to keep in telephone communication with Leica CS Wetzlar, personal contact works very well with this company.

Thanks Jaapv, will certainly follow your suggestion

Had the same problem with Q. Looked very similar to your image.  Beyond warranty. Sent to Allendale (US) and they replaced VF and did CLA, cleaned sensor, adjusted autofocus. Total was $594. Heavy usage and travel since then and all well. On a waiting list for Q2.

• Like 1

The affected area has now spread to cover the entire left edge of the evf and about 10% of the width. If it continuous like this the whole viewfinder will become blurred in a few days. It doesn’t look like a crack, more like some kind of delamination. I’m on the waiting list for a Q2, hopefully it gets here soon and then the faulty Q is off to Leica...

1 hour ago, olarsson said:

The affected area has now spread to cover the entire left edge of the evf and about 10% of the width. If it continuous like this the whole viewfinder will become blurred in a few days. It doesn’t look like a crack, more like some kind of delamination. I’m on the waiting list for a Q2, hopefully it gets here soon and then the faulty Q is off to Leica...

That's exactly what happened to my Q. In my case after having progressed for roughly one month the affected area eventually stopped and it is now permanently covering circa 50% of the EVF area (diagonally). 

My Q has been shipped to Wetzlar yesterday, waiting to hear back from them (hopefully) soon.

On 5/20/2016 at 6:30 AM, HenrikP said:

Update!

It is now back from Leica, 3 weeks and 2 days, with a new EVF. :) have a nice weekend all :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Henrik, I’m happy that you received your Q back with a new EVF. Did they replace it with a sealed one like the Q2? I’m just curious. I have the same issue with my Q 116 and I need to send it to Leica NJ  

I was also told by Leica NJ that they will fix mine FREE of charge as part of their Goodwill program. 

Im also curious if there is a way to prevent this issue from happening again? 

Thanks for sharing your story with us. 

Joey

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, faxao said:

That's exactly what happened to my Q. In my case after having progressed for roughly one month the affected area eventually stopped and it is now permanently covering circa 50% of the EVF area (diagonally). 

My Q has been shipped to Wetzlar yesterday, waiting to hear back from them (hopefully) soon.

UPDATE: I have finally received an e-mail from the Leica italian customer care and, to be honest, it is not what I was hoping for.

They are informing me that substitution of the EVF is needed and that would cost me a total of € 511,59 (VAT included). They are basically charging me € 230,46 for the new EVF + € 173,88 for the manpower time (the rest is VAT+shipping costs).

Frankly speaking, I was expecting that for damage that is entirely due to a clear failure of the specific item (EVF) and not caused by any wrongdoing or misuse on my side on a € 4.300 camera bought new after little more than two years could have been repaired free of charge by Leica or, at least at a reduced cost.

I understand that the 2 years warranty period has expired but I do not think it is normal that an internal part of such a reputable premium brand is out of order after such a short period of time. The fact that a certain number of Q owners are reporting here the same type of problem is reinforcing my opinion of a structural failure of the supplied part. A bit of disappointment for a Leica fan like myself (IIIc, CCD Monochrom, M10, Q, CL + several M and TL lenses)...

I will reply to their e-mail stating all my points and see what happen.

Edited by faxao
typo

No luck with my request. Leica Germany (through their Italian support service) stated that "in order to guarantee the same conditions of service to all clients" they have to apply a price for the components that need to be fixed or changed.

Needless to say that I am utterly disappointed with this reply, definitely not the kind of support I would have expected from a premium brand like Leica.

I will shave my € 511,59 contribution to the glory of the brand and deeply reconsider my Leica enthusiasm.

BTW could someone suggest me what is the right e-mail at Leica Wetzlar where I can address my complaints on this?

Thanks

1 hour ago, faxao said:

No luck with my request. Leica Germany (through their Italian support service) stated that "in order to guarantee the same conditions of service to all clients" they have to apply a price for the components that need to be fixed or changed.

Needless to say that I am utterly disappointed with this reply, definitely not the kind of support I would have expected from a premium brand like Leica.

I will shave my € 511,59 contribution to the glory of the brand and deeply reconsider my Leica enthusiasm.

BTW could someone suggest me what is the right e-mail at Leica Wetzlar where I can address my complaints on this?

Thanks

When I called Leica New Jersey about the dust or condensation in my EVF, the person I spoke to said that I can send in my Leica Q for a FREE Goodwill cleaning for the first time even after the 2-year warranty was done. Thereafter, a $200-$250 will apply.

They sent me a repair form via email to fill out exactly what is wrong with my Q. I am in the process of sending my Leica Q in in about a week or so  as I need to use it for a trip. I am hoping that when they replace the EVF, they would replace it with the same one as the Q2 which I believe is sealed being water resistant itself. However, I doubt that. I will just be more careful that I don't expose my Q in damp areas. 

Have you sent in your Leica Q already? If you haven't, you might want to send it to Leica NJ. I can provide you will all the right info. I just don't know how much the shipping charges would be. They want my Q sent via UPS (Preferable) or Fedex. Please let me know.

I apologize I don't have the right email of the person in Wetzlar to address your complaint. 

Good luck and thanks for your message.

Aloha.

I apologize I did not see your first message here that you have already shipped your Leica Q and have gotten an email back. You might want to tell them that Leica New Jersey USA is giving a FREE Goodwill cleaning for first time repair even after the 2-year warranty is done to all Leica Q owners. That is probably something that is not being relayed to them. 

I hope they would honor that and reconsider their decision to help you fix your Leica Q in your favor.

Good luck, Faxao.

Thank you joeyfab4, I will certainly report to them what you just told me.

IMHO it is weird, to say the least, that Leica is adopting such different support strategies on the two sides of the pond, considering that clients are investing the same (relevant) amount of money to buy the same products all over the world.

3 hours ago, faxao said:

Thanks

I have a feeling that you might succeed going the legal route. This appears to be in violation of European customer protection law. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 12:21 AM, faxao said:

Thank you joeyfab4, I will certainly report to them what you just told me.

IMHO it is weird, to say the least, that Leica is adopting such different support strategies on the two sides of the pond, considering that clients are investing the same (relevant) amount of money to buy the same products all over the world.

UPDATE: The baby is finally back from Wetzlar with a shining brand new EVF. After a series of back and forth emails with Leica support service (both Milan and Wetzlar) they have offered to me the replacement of the EVF + CLA at € 320,00 (slightly less than the initial request of € 511,00). I have accepted the offer and now I have my Q back ready to make me happy again. Not exactly what I have hoped and insisted for but still a decent result. 😋

• Like 2