photolandscape

Will Leica do a Q with a 35mm focal length instead of a 28?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Q 28mm lens will give you certain perspective distortion and DoF based on your focus distance regardless of the "crop mode" That function is no substitute of a longer lens; nor is a TRI-Elmar. (Unless the Q has some special feature to correct that automatically which I doubt) Considering you have the X100 you can buy the Fuji 28mm wide converter and see how do you like the field of view, maybe you will be happy with the current Q.

Or are you planning on using a camera like the Q for billboards?

Haha. No billboards in my future, but I also don't see a future of 8mp images taken at 50mm Edited by ramosa

Really hard to say if Leica will produce a Q with 35mm or 50mm - although they have hinted that they may venture to do so if there is significant interest and demand.  Funny thing is that the rumors of the Fuji X200 indicates they are looking at replacing the 35mm with a 28mm.

The street/reportage photographers seem to be split.  I've run into those who love 35mm and those who love 28mm.

Although my personal favorite is 50mm or 75mm, I've initially had problems getting use to 35mm.   Odd enough, when I obtained the Q (decided on this versus buying the 28mm Summarit), my objections and learning curve wasn't too great.  In fact, I've come to appreciate the extra width while on the street.  As someone indicated in the forum, you can always go to 35mm in crop mode and retain the same megapixel size as the X100t.  X100's are really great cameras.  I use one in lieu of taking out an M when I am in areas where it isn't too safe OR when I want to stay as light as possible.

My favorite lens on the Leica T was the 11-23 mm , 28mm on the Q works for me, one can always crop to 35mm or 50mm and if one doesn't print large

and displays on a computer screen , it doesn't make any difference.

I hope they don't.  Because then I'd want one!

Just got a Q, about 24 hours ago.  

I of course considered the focal length in deciding whether to buy it.  I have had Leica Ms a long time, now have an M9 as well as a Monochrom M.  35 and 28 lenses.  A 24 too, but that one to me is only for more unusual situations, different conversation.  

The 35 is by far the lens I use the most.  So while I'm not a stranger to the 28, and do use it sometimes, the 35 is the clear winner for me.  So would I want a fixed lens camera in spite of the fact that it didn't have my main lens?  What I decided was that I wanted the Q not in spite of, but because it didn't have my main lens.  It's a different camera from my Ms, and a different lens than I normally use fits into that.   Lots of other reasons for wanting the Q, I'm just talking about the focal length aspect here.

No one lens is perfect all the time.  When doing the kind of photography that many do with Leica Ms (and now Qs) I think a lot of us adapt our shooting to the lens on the camera in hand rather than think about changing the lens from picture to picture.  Exceptions to that of course, especially in professional situations, but as a general idea for all around picture taking, I think it has some truth.  People with an SLR often have a zoom lens on it, different approach.  And therefore different pictures.  

Edited by stevieboy