Don't change the mount....

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a tip from an old Leica hand:

If one mounts a lens that has other framelines that the 90, like the 135/4.0 or 135/3.4, it is always possible to bring up the 90 mm lines. After mounting, press the locking button and rotate the lens a few degrees further up to the stop and 90 mm will appear. There is no danger of damaging anything, it just goes to its stop and focus is not thrown out. Theoretically one could even Dremel and code the mount at a slight offset to show the 135/2.8 in Exif.

Guest tummydoc

We used to use a similar trick to get d.o.f. preview on Nikon bodies that lacked that facility. In that case however, the lens had to be turned in the direction of dismount which was a tad unnerving.

I knew about it (always one of the things I liked about rangefinder) but I'd still rather have the Exif data from the 135 + bring up the 90 frameline without having to push the lever - if I'm working quickly it's one less thing to worry about - and can be uncomfortable if working in portrait orientation - so worry not Guy - it was still a good thing to do...

Guest Olof

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a tip from an old Leica hand:

If one mounts a lens that has other framelines that the 90, like the 135/4.0 or 135/3.4, it is always possible to bring up the 90 mm lines. After mounting, press the locking button and rotate the lens a few degrees further up to the stop and 90 mm will appear. There is no danger of damaging anything, it just goes to its stop and focus is not thrown out. Theoretically one could even Dremel and code the mount at a slight offset to show the 135/2.8 in Exif.

Why should i mount a 135mm lens and bring up the 90mm frame ?

Guest guy_mancuso

Thanks Chris , I think so also Don't have to think about it or do anything just put it on and go. Next week I travel to NY for 4 days to actually shoot NY for a client , so hopefully I can give this setup a real spin. I need about 200-300 final images of New York for this project for them. I also have free rein to do what i want, this is one of those cherry jobs. Get paid to shoot whatever i want and guidelines imposed by me and what i need to do with the images. Now i am down to lens choices 12, WATE, 28 , 50 and may just jump to 135mm. maybe the 75 lux or 90 cron. some of the days i will be walking so i will go lighter and one full day being driven around and jump out shoot and get going again so will take most of it.

Lucky man! How many bodies? It's a big step from 50 to 135 ... Take at least the 75... I was having the same problems for a job, a bit of me felt I could do the whole thing with the 28, Period. And then insecurity set in and I took the whole shooting match - and guess what, I used nearly every lens by the end of the week.

Looking forward to seeing what you get!

Best

I knew about it (always one of the things I liked about rangefinder) but I'd still rather have the Exif data from the 135 + bring up the 90 frameline without having to push the lever - if I'm working quickly it's one less thing to worry about - and can be uncomfortable if working in portrait orientation - so worry not Guy - it was still a good thing to do...

You don't have to push the lever with this trick, Chris

You don't have to push the lever with this trick, Chris

Jaap - sorry - I hadn't read your post properly... now that's clever, and I DIDN'T know about it. Slightly don't like the idea of pushing past a designed stop though, and hey, I've already made the decision, so no going back!

Thanks for the insight thought...