Good lens for portraiture, 75 or 90 mm?

Sigurd18

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would anyone please share their views on which lens to choose for portraiture with an M8? I am hesitating between the 75 mm Summicron 2,0 and the 90 mm Elmarit 4,0. As price is an issue, I tend to think 90 mm Elmarit, but does the 4,0 aperture give as narrow depth of field as the 2,0?

Thanks beforehand

Sigurd

90 mm Elmarit 4,0. As price is an issue, I tend to think 90 mm Elmarit, but does the 4,0 aperture give as narrow depth of field as the 2,0?

I have the Elmarit, it opens at 2.8, not 4.0, I think you mix up with the 90mm Macro Elmar.

The 90 Elmarit is a great lense, probably the most surprising lens in my bag :-) for portrait it is a bit narrow, I have a CV75 for indoor portrait. 90 for outdoor, if you have enough space to leave distance between camera and model, then the 90 is perfect.

Eric

I echo the recommendation of the 90 'cron and the 75 'lux. Both of these lenses are warm and are also slightly soft when wide open. Stopped down, they sharpen up. If you can choose the light intensity then you can soften or sharpen the lens to suit the subject (older folks wide open, kids sharp -- the kids will tell you they are sharper than their parents, as well).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having already made the investment this year in the M8, the Noctilux and the 28/2.0 but wanting something longer for portraiture I opted for the CV 75/2.5., largely based on Sean Reid's excellent review of the 75 lux and CV 75. I've been quite happy with the lens, it's draws a very warm picture with nice soft tones and beautiful bokeh. At $299 it's a real bargain.

I'm with you for wanting a comparison on these two lenses - the 90 f.4 for the macro, and its small size; the 75 f. 2 for the extra speed, not quite so long, maybe more depth of field (and less difficult focusing?).

I ahd thought to copy the odd document or page, the 90 would make sense, but the 75 goes to a 1:7 ratio at close focus, supposedly 169 x 254 mm image size (film). For digital, that would be about 120 x 200 mm, or 5" x 8", a good close-enough ratio.

Anyone got any experience along these lines?

Geoff

I'm with you for wanting a comparison . . . Anyone got any experience along these lines?

Geoff

I have both lenses. Both are outstanding performers. The 90 has less contrast wide open (an advantage with portraits) but is less good at isolating backgrounds than the 75 at f2. Either could work for portaits - choose on the basis of your preference for focal length, max f-stop, and compact form factor (which favors the 90, but not by much). The close up feature on the 90 is a bonus - if you do bugs and flowers .5 meters at 90 is a lot closer than .7 meters at 75. The 75 is more "special" - it can make images that take your breath away. But it may be too crisp for classic portaiture.

I prefer the 75 - wide open the images remind me of the Canon 85 f1.2, one of my favorite lenses ever - but I use both.

First two are with a 75 'lux @ 1.4 and 4 (possibly 2.8) respectively and the latter with apo 90 at 2.8 (iirc) - not of particular merit, but they are images from some of the lenses under discussion here

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

apo 90 @ f2

I'm with you for wanting a comparison on these two lenses - the 90 f.4 for the macro, and its small size; the 75 f. 2 for the extra speed, not quite so long, maybe more depth of field (and less difficult focusing?).

I ahd thought to copy the odd document or page, the 90 would make sense, but the 75 goes to a 1:7 ratio at close focus, supposedly 169 x 254 mm image size (film). For digital, that would be about 120 x 200 mm, or 5" x 8", a good close-enough ratio.

Anyone got any experience along these lines?

Geoff

Hi Geoff

Yes - I have both lenses.

I find the 90 macro fiddley with the separate hood and having to pull it out. Of course, it's a great deal lighter than the 75 'cron, but not so much smaller.

My feeling is that the 'cron is a MUCH better lens - it has a sparkle about it which really isn't present in the macro, and of course it's f2, which is better for when you want small dof. The combination of this and the shorter focal length means you can hand hold at slower speeds too.

Sorry - I haven't got any comparison shots (I suppose I could do some).

I also do a lot of 'close' shots (rather than macro) - the magnification of the two lenses is very similar, and I find that being a little close with the 75 is helpful (I think the 75 is 1/7 and the 90 is 1/6).

IMHO unless you are planning to get the macro adaptor to go with the 90mm, then the 75 'cron is a better bet in every way.

If price is an issue, don't rule out the 90 Elmarit or a 50 Cron. Great portraits can be attained from either of these lenses. Both have "bargain" prices (well, for Leica at least).

I'm not a huge fan of the 90 Macro. If you must have a 90, the Cron or the Elmarit are better choices. I love the 75 Cron, but don't ignore the classic 50. Just take one step closer to get a similiar look.

Good luck.

David

Dont have the 75/2.o but the 75/1.4 (which is a beautiful lens IMO) and the 90/2.8 and now 90 macro.

Of the three lateley I mainly use the 90macro.

Why?

1) lightest and smalles which is a big reason for me (I use it with the smaller hoof of the 50/2.8 which stays on the lens)

2) it can do both macro, portrait, and it also a little longer for some sports stuff etc., combines better with a TE than a 75

cheers, tom

If price is an issue, don't rule out the 90 Elmarit or a 50 Cron. Great portraits can be attained from either of these lenses. Both have "bargain" prices (well, for Leica at least).

I'm not a huge fan of the 90 Macro. If you must have a 90, the Cron or the Elmarit are better choices. I love the 75 Cron, but don't ignore the classic 50. Just take one step closer to get a similiar look.

Good luck.

David

I totally agree. I do quite a bit of location portrait work, both environmental and head shots, and I would say the 50 lux ASPH (66.5 on the M8) has become my favorite lens for this kind of work.

The 75 Lux is getting a bit hard to find, but here is one at Leica Camera Berlin:

Leica Berlin: Summilux-M 1,4/75mm (link valid for one week).

It is, let's say, well used, but the glass is meant to be clean, and it is the new edition. 1785 Euro seems a little on the high side, given the condition, but maybe this is just the new market reality?

Just got a 75 lux. And I absolutely love it, particularly the way it renders images when used wide open. The only drawback is the size and weight. It's not the sort of lens I'll be tossing in the bag when I'm trying to travel light. It is significant enough for me that I'll probably keep my CV75 (or get a 90 elmar-C) for my travel kit.

Still, I can't imagine ever letting the lux leave my possession.

Hi,

I have both on M8, Summilux 75mm and Apo Summicron 90mm asph, and i would say i like the Cron very much.

It is so sharp you could think the picture has been taken with a large format camera.

Alfred-2.jpg

M8 + apo Cron 90 asph

But, you are not going to make girl friends with that lens. :p

Better would be an old Thambar 90mm f/2.2 :D