WIFI SD card for M Type 240

dugby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought to share the following:

I have successfully installed and using the Toshiba WIFI FlashAir (W-03) SD memory (32GB) card in my M240.

Installed onto my iPhone 5S (iOS is v9.3.1) the free FlashAir app from the Apple Appstore.

The FlashAir W-03 card quickly connects via WIFI to the iPhone.

After taking photos on the M240, thumbnails of the photos appear immediately in the iPhone FlashAir app.

Then upon selecting a photo for upload to the iPhone, the upload takes about 10secs

• Like 2

The M9 is not suitable for use with WiFi cards. The body is practically impenetrable to the radio waves. With luck, you will have a reach of rather less than half a meter.

It still lets you access you pictures (slowly) with the camera on a tripod.

I use my flashair card in the M240 so i can access photos quickly and email them back to the office, i dont need to stop and open the laptop, i can do it standing up with the camera slung over my shoulder.

Does the use of the Wifi card have any other effect or can you use is as a permanent alternative to traditional SD cards?

I'm about to replace one or two tired old cards that present the wrong (old) images in LR in Library mode though the correct DNG is there in Develop mode, which is a serious pain, though not totally catastrophic.

Wifi cards would be interesting if there's no downside.

Does the use of the Wifi card have any other effect or can you use is as a permanent alternative to traditional SD cards?

I'm about to replace one or two tired old cards that present the wrong (old) images in LR in Library mode though the correct DNG is there in Develop mode, which is a serious pain, though not totally catastrophic.

Wifi cards would be interesting if there's no downside.

The incorrect preview images are due to a badly designed unique ID generated in camera. It is provoked by such things as using cards in multiple cameras. New cards won't fix it. One card, one camera and format in camera before use might sort it out.

The incorrect preview images are due to a badly designed unique ID generated in camera. It is provoked by such things as using cards in multiple cameras. New cards won't fix it. One card, one camera and format in camera before use might sort it out.

I think that even the same camera can (and will) multiple images with the same ID, though not usually within the same session. I think.

• Like 1

The Wifi card is an ordinary card except that it will send your files over the Wifi as soon as they are stored on the card. Most cards send only the JPG images, a few send the DNGs as well. 

Wifi cards are more expensive, often have a smaller storage capacity than plain storage cards and - above all - are very power hungry. I think they're technical marvels, but I haven't used mine often enough to be worth it.

• Like 1

Strange, because I only ever use card in one camera, bought new with the camera three years ago. I never swap cards between cameras. And I format it in camera after every upload. The problem hasn't happened with other cards.

And the problem hasn't happened with other cards.

It's looking like the card to me. But I know nothing about these things and will do some testing.

See Pop's post 15, above. There are other other ways the unique ID is reused.

Just a minute - the problem hasn't happened with other cards? So you used more than one card in the camera?

Edited by Exodies
  • Like 1

See Pop's post 15, above. There are other other ways the unique ID is reused.

Just a minute - the problem hasn't happened with other cards? So you used more than one card in the camera?

Only since the problem started, to find out whether it happened with other cards.