green cast in M9 with new firmware 1204

pibitller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/25/2018 at 5:22 PM, lysardman said:

I've contacted Leica UK and got these replies, both within an hour of sending my email. Well done Leica UK.

''The problem you’re seeing is sometimes referred to as ‘The Italian Flag’. It’s the reason Leica initially told everyone a digital M was impossible.

It occurs because the lenses being used are not ‘telecentric’. Many M lenses were designed in the days of film, when telecentric design was not important. 

But even when lenses are designed today, it’s difficult to make M lenses telecentric due to the small diameter of the M bayonet. 

I sometimes wondered if there was any difference between the ‘new’ and ‘old’ M9 sensors, but (apart from that one guy and yourself) no one has ever commented on this. 

I would say the probable cause is either due to a change in the sensor, or (more likely) down to the new IR cover glass being used. 

It’s not really a firmware fault as such. The revised firmware will try and correct any colour shifts as much as possible. But there may be limits.''

Then later:

'' Leica say the 28mm f2.8 Asph is the most ‘demanding’ of all M lenses in terms of delivering light rays to the sensor at an oblique angle. 

It’s partly due to its’ small size; quite a few optical tricks had to be pulled to make it small.

This lens was developed during the film era, years before Leica offered a full-frame M. 
The later sensors on the M (240) and M10 handle non-telecentric lenses better than the M9. So the Italian Flag problem is not really an issue…''

I said I'd get an older Elmarit 28mm fo compare when money allowed and here's his reply:

''The older type IV 28mm f2.8 is comparable to the new lens in terms of sharpness and contrast, and better in terms of telecentricity, but it’s also much larger… 
Longer lenses (like the 135mm) are telecentric simply by virtue of the long distance between the rear element and the sensor. ''

I hope this helps people who're having trouble. When I'm up to it I'll get the RGB numbers from the different areas  in the different lenses from Photoshop. But my findings just show how good at this the ancient, 1958, Summicron , is compared to the 1973 135mm Elmarit and the brand new 28mm Elmarit. 

'

Another explanation: the Italian Flag can also be caused by the lens and sensor not being aligned properly. This can be in the order of 1/1000th of a mm. Have Leica check the alignment of the new sensor.

• 1 year later...

I also have this issue on my M-E. I see this is an old and almost dead thread, but any recommendations for alternative lenses? I love the 28 focal length and I appreciate the size of the elmarit, but having to correct in LR with FF is becoming a hassle that is starting to outweigh the joy of this lens. 

Are you using the original (2006-2015) version of the 28mm Elmarit ASPH (plastic clip-on hood) - or the current version?

The current version (since 2016) with screw-on hood has a slight optical revision, notably to change (improve) corner resolution - and that may not be as compatable with the old CCD cameras and their firmware.

You might try to find and test a pre-2015, plastic-hood copy of the ASPH.

Some previous versions of the 28 Elmarit (v.3 1980-90, v.4 1990-2006) are supported by Leica in the lens selection menu (or for a price, factory upgrading to 6-bit coding) and should show no green problem, if correctly identified to the camera. The v.4 was the most compact 28mm - prior to the ASPH (46mm filters - size of the 28 Summicron). The v.3 is the largest 28 f/2.8 (49mm filters).

Additionally, the quite old v.2 (1973-1980), while not supported by 6-bit coding or the menus (too old) seems to be fairly free of corner color problems. This is the lens introduced to allow metering with the M5/CL, and thus is strongly retrofocus in design, which counteracts the tendency to produce tinted corners. Medium-size (48mm filters) - and not the sharpest 28 Leica ever made (until f/5.6).

• 2 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone!

I’d like to share my experience. I recently purchased Biogon ZM 28mm F/2.8, 6-bit coded to ELMARIT 28 ASPH to use on my M9. Was surprised to see these horrible green corners on my images. To make this story short try to use on your M9 lens detection--MANUAL -----35 f/2 ASPH 11879/11882---- profile. Yes, there is some magenta cast but it’s big improvement (left side image) compare to what you can see on the image from right side. Both shot on wide open unadjusted DNG. I shoot only DNG and use Adobe Camera Raw to process my images, you can also change EXIF embedded profile back to Elmarit 28 ASPH in Adobe Camera Raw but change are very subtle only a tiny bit in barrel distortion. Let me know about the results you’getting with your Elmarit 28mm when you have a chance. Hope it will work the same as with Bigon ZM 28mm.

Cheers from snowy Toronto, Canada;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

8 hours ago, rusphoto said:

Hello everyone!

I’d like to share my experience. I recently purchased Biogon ZM 28mm F/2.8, 6-bit coded to ELMARIT 28 ASPH to use on my M9. Was surprised to see these horrible green corners on my images. To make this story short try to use on your M9 lens detection--MANUAL -----35 f/2 ASPH 11879/11882---- profile. Yes, there is some magenta cast but it’s big improvement (left side image) compare to what you can see on the image from right side. Both shot on wide open unadjusted DNG. I shoot only DNG and use Adobe Camera Raw to process my images, you can also change EXIF embedded profile back to Elmarit 28 ASPH in Adobe Camera Raw but change are very subtle only a tiny bit in barrel distortion. Let me know about the results you’getting with your Elmarit 28mm when you have a chance. Hope it will work the same as with Bigon ZM 28mm.

Cheers from snowy Toronto, Canada;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Were your pictures deliberately under-exposed?  It makes for difficult analysis.

• Like 1