cross body strap for m240?

doublev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for a cross body strap for m240.  I like the Barton Vector or the Artisan & Artist ACAM310.  I probably like the latter better with the silk cord design.  However, when I do my measurement if i was to wear cross body the camera would be right under my arm and not down at my hips (or even better, if i can push more towards my back so i dont bump it everywhere).  I am 6' tall. anyone have a camera strap that they use like this?

I have other straps like the blackrapid.  I have tried the adjustable strap ones, but they are not as discreet as these silk cords.  I definitely dont want to wear the camera around my neck.  I am surprised there is not a big market for these?  I think the silk cords could work great if they were much longer (you can always tie them shorter).

Let me know if any of you have solved this.  thanks!

I not a fan of silk but it you like soft strong leather.......take a look at Harry Benz  ......If you don't mind the price.

Any size you want...no metal buckles, I wear mine across the chest with a lot of extra strap so I can pick it up and shoot ...the longer the better for me ...to a point

http://www.harrybenz.com

Quote from the website:    http://www.harrybenz.com/strap-length/

When it comes to camera straps, length does matter.

Here's how to determine the ideal strap length for yourself: Take a long piece of packing string (or any other non-stretchable string) and tie one end securely to the metal ring of your current strap.

The other end loop through the second ring and keep holding on to it tightly.

Put the camera around your neck, across your chest or any other way you'd like to carry it. Because you have the loose end of the string in your hand it's very easy to adjust and experiment with different lengths. Just make sure not to let go of the string.

Keep doing it until you find that perfect fit. 

Once you have it give it a little test run. Tie the loose end of the string to the ring – make sure you are not accidentaly altering the length in the process – and walk around the house.

Don't forget to spice things up: Put on a jacket or if you like, even a winter coat.

When you are happy with the result measure the final length of the string (excluding the rings of course) and voilà, you have the ideal length for your new strap.

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 2

I custom built my own strap, using the stock leica end links, and a mechanism like the adjustable artisan and artist "slider" strap.

I have a good camping store nearby that has good webbing and buckles, and i have a good old cast iron sewing machine.

I am 6'6" and it will adjust from tucked up under my armpit, all the way down to below belt line.

Will post some pics, if i can find them

If not i will have to take some, and it may take a day or two

Edited by Echo63

I normally use a wrist strap and camera bag. However, when I was in Rome the other week I wanted to be free of a bag and have the M240 on a long strap, across my body, so my hands could be free. I'm over 6ft and found that this Annie Barton extra long strap let the camera rest just on my hip.

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/annie-barton-straps/4569-barton-ex-long-1972-braided-pitch-black-leather-neck-strap.html

Of course, the braided design might not meet your ideal requirements. However, I found it very comfortable.

Mike.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is another vote for Harry Benz straps.  I have one of Harry's 13 mm wide B straps in 142 cm. length on my Safari M-P.  I cannot recommend this strap too highly.  When I wear the strap diagonally, the lens on my camera sits dead center in the palm of my right hand.  When I adjust the camera a few inches aft, it rides right at the top of my right hip.  Absolutely perfect fit.

The craftsmanship is another matter.  It is flawless; simply outstanding.  The water buffalo leather that Harry uses is soft and supple but does not stretch like some kinds of leather.  This strap is beautifully tasteful yet low key.  It does not shout "designer luxury at a blindingly high price" in the manner of the Louis Vuitton N58027 camera bag.  Harry's B strap is more along the lines of a Fogg, Billingham or perhaps a Filson camera bag - classic, sturdy, functional and tasteful.

Edited by Carlos Danger

I vote for Gordi. You can measure the length needed and he will make it to exact length. His website gives you detailed instructions.

Pros:

- Rugged and light

- Very comfortable for M's weight. I am surprised every time.

- Thin but strong and indestructible. I have even used in rain couple of times and it survived (not recommended though). I am in my third year.

- Easy to wrap around on the wrist if carrying camera in hand for some time.

Cons:

- there are many other good looking straps there, Gordi is not for looks.

What I like is that it is almost invisible. See the picture below. I am at the wheel in the center. My M240 (in black Velcro pouch) is resting on my right hip, strap on left shoulder running across my body over life jacket. I carried the camera across my body all day while manning the boat. Love my Gordy strap.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great pic Jayant...I love yachts too. And on that the traveller is not in the way...what yacht?

I'm with you a very long strap, push camera behind...even use a small case.

Thanks David... yes, it is great to be out in the water. Specially in good weather. :) This one is Hunter 31. Family friendly and moving stuff is mostly out of the way.

I am happy with my strap/cam setup. I don't like short strap with camera on the chest. M240 is too heavy for it to be comfortable (to me).

Here is another angle and a zone focused posing shot :) of my friend. It is convenient to pull camera out with least effort, shoot in between activities, and then push it back on the hip.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 2

Off the topic of straps.....but since this thread prefers to wear the camera across the chest.

Are you concerned with scratching your LCD ? I've never given it a thought but now I noticed it rubbing on my jacket pocket zipper (which is covered by a flap) or the seams in my jeans pocket.

I try to throw the camera around to my back.....How scratch proof it the Gorilla glass?.....Do you across the chest guys consider it an issue?......I'm not sure how I feel.

Thoughts welcome

Edited by ECohen

Off the topic of straps.....but since this thread prefers to wear the camera across the chest.

Are you concerned with scratching your LCD ? I've never given it a thought but now I noticed it rubbing on my jacket pocket zipper (which is covered by a flap) or the seams in my jeans pocket.

I try to throw the camera around to my back.....How scratch proof it the Gorilla glass?.....Do you across the chest guys consider it an issue?......I'm not sure how I feel.

Thoughts welcome

Yes, I am concerned of scratching the LCD, this is why I have the camera in a Velcro pouch. Having said that, I won't worry too much since I used to carry my Canon 40D unprotected in a similar way and it didn't cause many scratches in 4 years of ownership. M240's LCD glass is better than that. You will have to be aware of any metal touching it though. Metal to glass, however tough is not a good rubbing surface.

Wearing the strap across my body is normal for me. It spreads the (small) load evenly and makes getting over a stile so much easier. If you live in an urban environment then stiles won't be a problem. In this area they are frequent obstacles. No scratches om my Gorilla glass after loads of distance covered. Camera normally to the left and behind.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I know this is a very old thread.  But quick question on the Gordy’s strap. If I was to choose a long strap to carry cross body so camera sits at hip - do you recommend the neck pad? I’m wondering whether the neck pad would inhibit movement of strap to bring the camera up to shooting position. Please let me know your thoughts. 
aman

Edited by apatel

7 hours ago, apatel said:

I know this is a very old thread.  But quick question on the Gordy’s strap. If I was to choose a long strap to carry cross body so camera sits at hip - do you recommend the neck pad? I’m wondering whether the neck pad would inhibit movement of strap to bring the camera up to shooting position. Please let me know your thoughts. 
aman

You’d need the strap to slide across your shoulder, so without the neck pad as its purpose is to keep the strap in place and disperse the camera’s weight. I love Gordy’s straps but don’t think they work particularly well worn across the body. I have a couple different peak design straps and the material seems to slide really well over all kinds of fabrics. 

• Like 1

• Like 1

On 3/29/2016 at 12:53 PM, doublev said:

I am looking for a cross body strap for m240.  I like the Barton Vector or the Artisan & Artist ACAM310.  I probably like the latter better with the silk cord design.  However, when I do my measurement if i was to wear cross body the camera would be right under my arm and not down at my hips (or even better, if i can push more towards my back so i dont bump it everywhere).  I am 6' tall. anyone have a camera strap that they use like this?

I have other straps like the blackrapid.  I have tried the adjustable strap ones, but they are not as discreet as these silk cords.  I definitely dont want to wear the camera around my neck.  I am surprised there is not a big market for these?  I think the silk cords could work great if they were much longer (you can always tie them shorter).

Let me know if any of you have solved this.  thanks!

I love the Artisan & Artist ACAM-25ER Easy Slider Camera Strap (and especially in the Khaki colour)

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=189

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/ufiles/1448247699.jpg

Another favorite is the Leica Rope Strap Desigend By COOPH, with O-Ring - 49.6"/ 126cm (prefer the red one, but many colours to select from)

https://store.leica-camera.com/uk/en/rope-strap-red-designed-by-cooph?number=18597

https://www.leica-store-muenchen.de/en/product/15587/leica-rope-strap-designed-cooph-olive-126cm

Edited by martinot

On 5/9/2021 at 9:59 AM, apatel said:

aman

I don’t use neck pad because camera lens doesn’t weigh enough to cause any issues. I like simple looking thin strap. It also wraps around my wrist easily if I want to carry my camera with one hand. I also like the fact that it’s flexible and very light. I have tried straps made of rope (climbing rope) and didn’t like the thickness.

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1