An update to my saga!

KallumR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If one has a fully functioning M8 to use as a reference/standard for comparison, i.e. use to figure out type and number of button presses, it might not be such a bad thing- if price was right- to purchase a second M8 having a failed LCD.......maybe even purchase two or three. Generally, I try not to use the LCD on mine. It makes it feel almost like using a film M.

And hey, because it is has minimal value, why not get out the Dremel tool and do that thing you have always wanted to do. :)

If one has a fully functioning M8 to use as a reference/standard for comparison, i.e. use to figure out type and number of button presses, it might not be such a bad thing- if price was right- to purchase a second M8 having a failed LCD.......maybe even purchase two or three. Generally, I try not to use the LCD on mine. It makes it feel almost like using a film M.

And hey, because it is has minimal value, why not get out the Dremel tool and do that thing you have always wanted to do. :)

I've bought an M8 with a broken shutter but with a working screen. I'll swap the back parts of the 2 cameras and put the working back on mine.

I've been using my M8 in 'film' mode for some time but I'd still prefer to have a screen.

And yes, I've already done the brass work with the Dremel!

The main problem here is that to get at the LCD you have to dismantle the camera completely, including removing the sensor - and the sensor must be adjusted to IIRC 1/1000th of a mm, which cannot be done without the proper measuring equipment. You will probably be better off swapping out the shutter on the other camera.

The main problem here is that to get at the LCD you have to dismantle the camera completely, including removing the sensor - and the sensor must be adjusted to IIRC 1/1000th of a mm, which cannot be done without the proper measuring equipment. You will probably be better off swapping out the shutter on the other camera.

My understanding (from the M8 anatomy thread) was that the camera splits into 2 main parts- front and rear. My plan was to take the rear half of the camera (containing the LCD) and swap it with my existing rear part, with the damaged LCD.

Is this not the case? If it's not then I need to devise a plan B...

Ernst

Like this (this is the body of the M240- slightly different), but you can see that the whole interior, including the sensor, must be removed for access. It should be much simpler to exchange  the shutter assembly on the body you bought.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Copied from the 'Anatomy of the M8' thread. The M8 doesn't have the same 'single body' construction as the 240. The body has 2 separate clam shell parts. The rear part can be separated by removing 3 screws on either side...

" Splitting the Clam-Shell

This is pretty much all you can see without splitting the front and back castings. This involves peeling back the synthetic leather to expose 3 screws at each end. Remove them and the front and back halves of the camera separate.

Here’s a picture of the back half..."

Edited by pop
copyrighted picture