An update to my saga!

KallumR

Well, it's official. I just bought a used M8.2 for 2200AUD (1511EUR) with 9mths warranty and only 6211 on the shutter. I've still got 1100-1200AUD to get a lens with! 

Those 8.2's are black paint? Should brass nicely.

A picture of the camera, please.  And good luck with this one... ;)

Dave S

Edited by david strachan

All great choices.  You also might like to consider the Canon 35mm f/2 ltm - a lovely compact lens, and for image quality it compared very well to the v4 Summicron 'King of Bokeh' when I had the opportunity to try both.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by easy_action
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cost of ownership of all digi cams is sky hi.  Same as computers. 

When you send one in, you get "no parts."   Leica normally will offer a discount on new model.

People think they they save by buying older right up to can not get parts or that battery is no longer available.  

The sole advantage of digi is instant picture and not having to buy film.   Low volume amateurs lose at this.   High volume pros win.  If you be a poor amateur,  stay away from Leica of any kind and especially digital. 

When you send one in, you get "no parts."   Leica normally will offer a discount on new model. ....

Cost of ownership of a computer is high? Not true. 

You do not "normally" hear "no parts" from Leica. I did hear so once, and that was for an entirely mechanical item, a lens they couldn't adjust any more.

It's nice for you if you amuse yourself by inventing stuff, but it's invented, all the same.

With all due respect, tobey bilek, that's complete bollocks.

Digi cams pay their way (for a pro snapper) in a matter of days. Perhaps a week or so for a decent system.

Anyhow;

The M8 (and M8.2) is a fantastic tool.

One oft-overlooked "adavantage" of the smaller chip is that the sensor uses the finest rendering part of the lens so things are almost always scarily sharp edge-to-edge and corner-to-corner.

Digi-wise I have both an M8.2 and an M9-P and I have no intentions of giving up the 8.2.

It's also 'brassing-up' very nicely....

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 4

Well, it's official. I just bought a used M8.2 for 2200AUD (1511EUR) with 9mths warranty and only 6211 on the shutter. I've still got 1100-1200AUD to get a lens with! 

Good decision. While the Sonys and Fujis are good cameras, they're not rangefinders. (They're computer gizmos with lots of buttons and functions and, IMHO, poor haptics.) And it seems you have wanted to go in the RF direction for quite a while. Please enjoy--and (knock on wood) I hope this M8 holds up better for you.

Edited by ramosa
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A quick lazy snap of it after my 28mm Zeiss Biogon f/2.8 arrived, gotta fly and take some pics with it! 

Those 8.2's are black paint? Should brass nicely.

A picture of the camera, please.  And good luck with this one... ;)

Dave S

Brassing on an M8? That might work...

Coooee Ernst...that's been ground through the anodizing, and the nickel down to the brass.  I see it is an original M8 in "black chrome".(has the 8000 speed)

I've never seen one down to the brass...plenty of steel wool?

I have very abrasive thumbs Dave. Especially when they're on a Dremel!

Steel wool wouldn't even touch the nickel. It's very tough.

Ernst

• Like 1

You did that on purpose??? I cannot believe it.

Gary

You need to understand the background first.

The camera was damaged and the screen was not repairable. It had no resale value and was hardly ever used. My main camera is an M-P (240)

I like the used brass look and I'm actually very happy with it. I'm now using it more than I did previously. I have found another broken M8 which has a working screen and I'll swap the camera parts over, but the brassed M8 will be the one that will be repaired.

Ernst

• Like 2