Just found the "Dust detection" option

Echo63

When I first found this feature  I thought it was a cool idea. Only to learn how crazy, knowing exactly where the dust was made me .....for no practical reason. 
I am now convinced its a feature for the Leica technician to check their work. I must confess that I almost never wet clean my sensor.

I cant say for sure but I think this feature will make the user over clean their delicate sensor.

Can any educated techie tell me if a camera sensors filter is as tough as the front element of a lens?

In my experience a lens front element and modern coating is pretty tough.

Edited by ECohen

I am not a techie, neither could I be described as educated as I started full time employment aged 16.That was normal in those days.

Your lens is tough. If you have a filter over the lens then it is super-tough. 

The thing with sensor dust incursion is that, however tough and clean your lens is, there will be blobs on your negatives. Get dust on your lens and you won't notice it. Get dust on your sensor and you will always notice it.

I am not a techie, neither could I be described as educated as I started full time employment aged 16.That was normal in those days.

Your lens is tough. If you have a filter over the lens then it is super-tough. 

The thing with sensor dust incursion is that, however tough and clean your lens is, there will be blobs on your negatives. Get dust on your lens and you won't notice it. Get dust on your sensor and you will always notice it.

When asking about how tough the sensor is. Relating it to the front element of a modern multi coated lens, I have found that a lens element is pretty tough. And can stand up to quite a bit of over cleaning and abuse.....I'm guilty of sometimes using my shirt tail.

A sensor is not that durable and can very easily be damaged. In the early days of digital (2000) I've personally seen $1500 repairs from wet cleaning, causing permeate sensor damage. If its dirt and not dust that's stuck  on your sensor, you really don't want to drag from one side to the other, even with the proper tools.

I'd rather retouch than use anything more that a "Rocket Blaster"....occasionally.

I was wondering if anyone knew if sensor tech these days has extended to making them more durable?

I also realize that some on this forum will readily take the proper tool and adjust their rangefinder.....I'm just not one of them.
Seeing how easily a sensor can be ruined makes me not want to wet clean.....or at least to avoid it ....if I can.
Edited by ECohen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with @Exodies, nothing can defeat a good force of air. The camera body needs to be held so that the blower is pointing upwards and the lens orifice is pointing downwards.

I suspect the rocket blower technique simply redistributes the dust; some may fly out, but some will be redistributed within the light box and it's only a matter of a few shutter operations for the dust within the light box to be redistributed recontaminating the sensor. It may be better to identify where the dust is, ie on the sensor, then use an aerosol vacuum (green machine or a similar sounding name) to 'Hoover up' and then use the sticky pad device (can't remember the name of that either) as used by Leica.

I will need to do something for sure, I've just checked my M240 that I purchased new in 2016 and there's an enormous amount of stuff on the sensor. Far too much to spot in post production.

• Like 1

Sometime ago I posted that it might be wise to use the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner near the orifice, with a few caveats about maybe putting a muslin guard over the nozzle. IIRC, that cunning stunt was met with derision. I still stand by it.

As @:Steve Ricoh says the blower can simply redistribute dust. Having a nearby vacuum will get rid of the dust. Also please remember that the dust on a sensor will be totally transposed by the detection tester. What looks like the dust is in the top left means it is bottom right.

Use of a vacuum nozzle needs care. You may need an assistant as your hands will be full holding the camera in one hand and the blower in the other.

Just good maintenance.

• Like 2

The sensor vacuum device I was trying to remember http://www.green-clean.at/en/products/cleaning-systems/camera-cleaning-system/sensor-cleaning-system.html

The sticky cleaning devise is from Eyelead https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyelead-Sensor-Cleaning-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B017M0O8XU I believe the one for the Sony is recommended for the M240.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

<snip>Also please remember that the dust on a sensor will be totally transposed by the detection tester. What looks like the dust is in the top left means it is bottom right.

<snip>

The detection test displays the image flipped. Look at the dust pattern on the lcd, speck in top right corner, turn camera round (rotate it around an axis going through the hot shoe and tripod hole) and the dust will be in the top right corner.
  • Like 1

The sensor vacuum device I was trying to remember http://www.green-clean.at/en/products/cleaning-systems/camera-cleaning-system/sensor-cleaning-system.html

The sticky cleaning devise is from Eyelead https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyelead-Sensor-Cleaning-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B017M0O8XU I believe the one for the Sony is recommended for the M240.

I can't find any conclusive evidence on the eyelid version, lol. It's maddening.

Use smallest aperture, lowest ISO, slow shutter (~1/8), find a uniform target - clear sky, flat clouds, evenly lit ceiling, etc and move the camera while the shutter is opening. You will get a picture of the sensor as seen from the front of the camera with the dust as little black dots.

You need a bright homogenous (all the same) background for the test. A blank white wall, a fridge door, a sheet of white paper and the detector will work.

It's not difficult to find a light background in most modern houses. It may be difficult in a cluttered old house ... so go to a neighbour and ask to take a photo.

You could go to a neighbour and ask to take a shot. If they get out the whisky decanter then you have won a prize!

10 minutes later, after setting the world to right. you'll be best mates.

When asking about how tough the sensor is. Relating it to the front element of a modern multi coated lens, I have found that a lens element is pretty tough. And can stand up to quite a bit of over cleaning and abuse.....I'm guilty of sometimes using my shirt tail.

A sensor is not that durable and can very easily be damaged. In the early days of digital (2000) I've personally seen $1500 repairs from wet cleaning, causing permeate sensor damage. If its dirt and not dust that's stuck  on your sensor, you really don't want to drag from one side to the other, even with the proper tools.

I'd rather retouch than use anything more that a "Rocket Blaster"....occasionally.

I was wondering if anyone knew if sensor tech these days has extended to making them more durable?

I also realize that some on this forum will readily take the proper tool and adjust their rangefinder.....I'm just not one of them.
Seeing how easily a sensor can be ruined makes me not want to wet clean.....or at least to avoid it ....if I can.

I remember way back, with the DMR, a Leica rep taking his tie and wiping the sensor clear, to demonstrate the toughness of the coating.

I can't find any conclusive evidence on the eyelid version, lol. It's maddening.

I'll check the M'240 dust threa(s) again, I'm almost certain the one recommended was the version marketed for the Sony. The thread I'm looking for contains a video of a Leica technician using the device. Sticks it on, and rolls the stick to the side to unstick it. Knowing my luck, I'll pull the sensor clean off. :)

I have seen enough of Leica technicians working without gloves, hair nets, face masks and goggles to alarm me. Humans shed skin cells constantly. Such is the source of most dust.

Leica must step up.

Edited by pico

Jaap, you may remember this thread, https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/270401-typ-240-sensor-cleaning/ post #3

Which points to this: https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick-for-sony

It says half way down or so that the one for the Sony is suitable for M digital cameras.

Edit: Jaap, I've just looked at the link you attached, can't see mention it's suitable for a digital M. Where did you hear that Leica use that particular version. I'm guessing it's all about degree of stickiness, needs to be just right.

Edited by Steve Ricoh