Has anyone tried the Lomo LC-A MINITAR-1 Art Lens 2.8/32 M yet.

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lomo seem to be really pushing the boat out at the moment on Leica fit lenses. Hot on the heels of the Jupiter 50/1.5 (Zeiss Sonnar clone), is this new Lomo LC-A MINITAR-1 Art Lens 2.8/32 M. This is a tiny pancake lens and would make an M close to a pocketable camera. At the very reasonable price of just £249, I am rather tempted. It would be nice to have a Leica alternative to humping round my SL and 24-90. OTOH if the quality compared with my 35 ASPH Summicron were horrible, it would be money down the drain. I have found eastern bloc lenses a bit hit and miss. My M fit but non coupled 16mm/f2,8 fish-eye is fine but my 80mm/f2.8 R fit tilt shift Hartblei Super Rotator is not very good at all. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have it. It is very "special". I NEVER use it. It is just not that good. Personal preferences mostly I guess. Only upside is the size. But still....

For sale if you are interested :)

Edited by matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Wilson, the 28mm Skopar is generally considered to be excellent, and it's pretty tiny especially if you buy the LTM version. 

James, 

I have had such awful luck with Voigtlander lenses, I would be most reluctant to try again. In any case I have a very small and very good 28 ASPH Summicron, albeit with a loose-ish front section, like many. If I did want a pancake lens, I would think I would be much better with the Zeiss Biogon 35C. 

Wilson

I have one too. Funky colours and vignetting. It's fun to use when you are in the mood for it, but it's no substitute for a 'proper' lens. It's a bit like using one of those app effects when taking pictures with your smartphone. The good old Summaron is another option for a small-sized 35mm.

• Like 1

James,

I have had such awful luck with Voigtlander lenses, I would be most reluctant to try again........

Wilson

I can understand your comment here, although I think the Cosina Voigtlander range has finally levelled out from being an odd assortment of suck-it-and-see generally low quality gap-fillers and matured into a good range of cheaper alternative lenses to Zeiss and Leica. Earlier this week I spent an hour with David Kilpatrick going through images he had just made with some CV lenses which he had on loan from Flaghead and the results were very interesting.

The new 10.5mm rectilinear lens is incredibly good on the Sony AR7ii and the latest CV 15mm is even better. There are some good ones in the original range and for me, the 28mm ltm Color-Skopar is a keeper. It's a viable alternative to the Leica 28mm f2.8 elmarit-m asph and almost renders a Leica M 'pocketable'.

Personally, I think lenses such as the Lomo you refer to above are far from 'art' lenses in that the effects they create badly in-camera can be created far better in post processing. Probably something you'd use for a week or two and then forget about. I'd rather have a good dinner out with a friend!

Edited by honcho

Hard to find, but you could perhaps try for one of these: http://www.japanexposures.com/2011/05/25/ms-optical-super-triplet-perar-3-535-mark-ii/

The 28, 24 and 21mm lenses are even smaller.

I know both Dirk Rosler and Miyazaki San from having had discussions with them about the possibility of converting the Zeiss Contax G 35-70 lens to a non-RF coupled lens for use on the M240. Both the 28 and 35 are currently sold out with only the 24 available. The 24 is too wide for an everyday lens IMHO. I have just been using the 35 ASPH Summicron on the 240 today and in reality, it is small enough, coupled with superb optics. 

Wilson

Get a Leica Minilux 40mm lens converted to M mount! :)

I already have a 40 Summicron C, optimised for normal M's by Malcolm Taylor. This is actually my smallest M lens but it is not as good IQ and has lower contrast compared to the 35 ASPH Summicron, so it usually sits on my M4, where film is a less critical audience than digital. 

Wilson

It would be nice to have a Leica alternative to humping round my SL and 24-90.

I'm surprised you thought it was a good idea to begin with. The camera is one thing but lenses like the 24-90 are lenses that I will not carry around unless I am literally being paid to do so. Life is too short.

I have just been using the 35 ASPH Summicron on the 240 today and in reality, it is small enough, coupled with superb optics. 

The 35 Summicron (in all its flavours) is IMO the quintessential Leica lens. It's neither the sharpest nor the best behaved Leica lens (nor does it have any special "rendering") but it is an excellent lens that is the right size with the right ergonomics for the M system.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

I'm surprised you thought it was a good idea to begin with. The camera is one thing but lenses like the 24-90 are lenses that I will not carry around unless I am literally being paid to do so. Life is too short.

Ian,

Initially I would have agreed with you but after a few days of near continuous use, my left shoulder muscles must have built up because I seem to mind the weight less and less now. I thought I had got over not having zoom lenses, since I sold my Contax SLR's in 2006 but the flexibility that the 24-90 permits, becomes addictive. Even today when using the 240 and 35 to take technical photos for someone's court case, I was thinking "that shot would have been easier and more illustrative, if I had taken the SL + 24-90." 

Wilson

Ian,

Initially I would have agreed with you but after a few days of near continuous use, my left shoulder muscles must have built up because I seem to mind the weight less and less now. I thought I had got over not having zoom lenses, since I sold my Contax SLR's in 2006 but the flexibility that the 24-90 permits, becomes addictive. Even today when using the 240 and 35 to take technical photos for someone's court case, I was thinking "that shot would have been easier and more illustrative, if I had taken the SL + 24-90." 

Wilson

Wilson

I can perfectly imagine that a zoom lens would be ideal for that sort of technical shot.

It is exactly the sort of thing that the M was not conceived for.

I agree with Ian though if I understand him correctly; an M with a small and high quality lens allows a sort of imaginative and polite kind of photography that any large camera, despite all its technical qualities, would struggle with.