tiff vs jpeg

photophile

Depends on the end use. TIF contains more information and should probably be used for printing or exhibiting. JPEG are handier for the net and emailing to friends. Some just use JPEG and make it do for both. I always save as TIF, convert to JPEG as necessary.

TIFF stores all the information in the file and does not discard any data in the compression, so it's better for keepers; JPEG makes usually smaller files, but the algorithm used degrades the image, and every time you save a JPEG some information is lost and artifacts will eventually appear, so it is better to keep the original TIFF files. If there are modifications to be done I usually copy the TIFF and work with the copy, and then, as said before, if you want to email, put on the web, etc. usually JPEGs are the best way to go, as the resulting files will be lighter.

A good analogy would be like having the WAV files from a CD (= TIFF) and the compressed MP3 files in the iPod (= JPEG).

Hope this helps.

Save as TIFF. If you are having a process/CD package then they may only save onto the CD as Jpegs in which case if you work on an image and then save it to your pc/other, convert and save to TIFF at that stage. If scanning yourself then TIFF. You can convert any to jpegs for web use etc after.

you have all given me good advice. another question. if my c-41 processed film is scanned and saved to disc.. is there any reason to save them as TIFF files vs. JPEG or is the information transferred from the original neg the same either way?

thanks.

If you use lossless JPEG compression you can go with JPEG - otherwise you lose detail. Also, if you open and save a JPEG the results will be a NEW compressed file so you may reduce image quality with every save.

Secondly, on your screen and for RAM the JPEG requires as much memory to open as the TIFF - after unpacking both are the same size.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Doesnt make the blindest bit of difference untill you save as, and if you save as jpg, only then if you compress heavily. While jpg saving any editing changes will cause the algorithm to recalculate I would defy anyone to identify even after a hundred saves uncompressed.

While you are image editing, you will find any default temporary saves are tagged in the photoshop or corel extension or whatever format your image editor is.