Raw vs JPEG image quality.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find that Capture One shows more brilliance for Leica images than LR .

The difference in file size DNG 41MB ,versus jpeg 8.5 MB, both approximately, should tell you that a little something is missing in the jpeg files.

My point is simple ; If you are satisfied with average quality , use jpegs , be it Leica Q or smartphone , not a large difference .

If one has invested in quality Leica gear, at considerable expense, having invested in photographic learning, including PS, LR, Capture One over many years, why not produce the very best one can.

I  very much doubt that Leica intended the jpeg file to be used for serious work, in fact , I have seen many requests of people on this forum to eliminate jpegs , which is impossible as jpegs are an integral part of the DNG format.

Peter, I feel your frustration trying to explain DNG.  Think many don't get what DNG is or haven't invested the time to appreciate post processing, or maybe even understand digital.  I find the whole discussion of JPG vs Raw nonsensical.  And trying to explain it to someone who just looks at one and then the other and decides the JPG is better......ha! Gotta love 'em!

• Like 1

Billinghambaglady.

I totally agree. Mostly. I'm a DNG guy. I import all the photos into LR then immediately select and delete the jpeg's. I don't even look at them. Why should I? They are by definition a lesser quality image and not one that I want to spend time post processing. But, I enjoy bringing out "my best" from an interesting image using mostly LR and occasionally Photoshop.

I do however see a value in the jpegs. If I was a commercial photographer and had a deadline to meet, the OOC jpegs are a great time saver. The iPhone app for the Q is superb and utilizes the jpegs. I cannot imagine at this point wanting to download DNG's to my iPhone with the possible exception of backing up on a trip. Even then, it's not made to operate in that way. There are much better backup methods available.

We do live in a world where social media is ubiquitous. That reinforces the value of OOC jpegs and I say more power to them. Not for me, but the diversity of Leica users worldwide is one of the aspects I love about this camera.

Anyway, I see a need for jpegs and I have a need for the DNG's.

• Like 5

Billinghambaglady.

I totally agree. Mostly. I'm a DNG guy. I import all the photos into LR then immediately select and delete the jpeg's. I don't even look at them. Why should I? They are by definition a lesser quality image and not one that I want to spend time post processing. But, I enjoy bringing out "my best" from an interesting image using mostly LR and occasionally Photoshop.

I do however see a value in the jpegs. If I was a commercial photographer and had a deadline to meet, the OOC jpegs are a great time saver. The iPhone app for the Q is superb and utilizes the jpegs. I cannot imagine at this point wanting to download DNG's to my iPhone with the possible exception of backing up on a trip. Even then, it's not made to operate in that way. There are much better backup methods available.

We do live in a world where social media is ubiquitous. That reinforces the value of OOC jpegs and I say more power to them. Not for me, but the diversity of Leica users worldwide is one of the aspects I love about this camera.

Anyway, I see a need for jpegs and I have a need for the DNG's.

Yes, I agree. And I use both.  I kind of look at JPGs as the same as a developed photograph on paper or other medium from film, and the camera does a great job.  Of course, can still manipulate the JPG image but so much information is missing.  I also understand the frustration of trying to explain the difference to someone who doesn't take the time to learn digital and you scratch your head a bit wondering why they bought such a powerful tool!  But gotta just accept people out there are going to use these sometimes like a smart phone.  That is fine too.  So, I agree.

"The T and Q systems have two functions: first to show that Leica is present in the lucrative high-end aficionado domain of buyers who refuse to accept that any current smartphone will produce comparable pictures". quote from Erwin Puts Blog on X T and Q.

https://plus.google.com/communities/116421737082773038237