Voigtlander 21mm f4 - so impressed

colonel

I find if I pinch the rim on one side of the hood and unscrew it by rotating it from the side, it comes off easily. When grasping the hood as one normally would, it may be binding the threads and seems locked on for me.

Bob

Never got the least problem to unscrew mine... I sometimes wonder if we talk about the same lens here... Current CV 21/4 is pretty well made the same way as current Leica wides such as 21/3.4 asph among others. Both have an external thread for the hood and an internal thread for filters.

I find if I pinch the rim on one side of the hood and unscrew it by rotating it from the side, it comes off easily. When grasping the hood as one normally would, it may be binding the threads and seems locked on for me.

Bob

Are we talking about the same lens CV21mm f/4?

My hood is some how connected to the lens body. There is no seem and it doesn't move at all.

I dont think it was designed to be removed? (see photo previous post)

Edited by ECohen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same lens as shown. The harder you grasp the hood (especially near the end), the harder it is to remove (pinching the threads?). Holding one side to rotate works for mine when it seems like it is binding. In many cases, it comes right off if I hold it hear the bottom of the hood (less susceptible to squeezing threads?).

Bob

Thanks you .....I do love this group!

The harder I tried it wouldn't budge.....I gave a squeeze at the bottom ....no good.

So I'm giving up and putting it away.... I ever so lightly hit the hood and I got a 1/3 of a turn.

Light fingers removes it easily....All is good with the world.

My dad always asked me "What did you learn today"

Thanks guys!

Edited by ECohen

Well done. Same lens with and w/o hood compared to Elmarit 21/2.8 asph:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like this tiny little lens. I shoot it mostly B&W and When I do use it for color I got the purple fringe out in LR.

I try not to get too hung up in the technical short comings, $400 and it fits in my pocket....and it's really sharp!

I wanted to put a #3 close up lens on it to shoot a ...mushroom.

And was taken back when I couldn't work around the darn "fixed" hood.

I'm also not too concerned about it not being coded...I can do it manually....If I forget

there is always Photoshop

It's worth getting the square LH-1 hood for the lens. Makes a big difference to flare (and contrast, under certain lighting conditions).

It's not easy to find but Cameraquest sometimes have them in the US and Robert White in the UK.

It will however block off some of the viewfinder but I've found the improvements to be worth this sacrifice. Photo below was shot straight into the sun.

M8 CV21/4, f8

• Like 3

I like this tiny little lens. I shoot it mostly B&W and When I do use it for color I got the purple fringe out in LR.

I try not to get too hung up in the technical short comings, $400 and it fits in my pocket....and it's really sharp!

I wanted to put a #3 close up lens on it to shoot a ...mushroom.

And was taken back when I couldn't work around the darn "fixed" hood.

I'm also not too concerned about it not being coded...I can do it manually....If I forget

there is always Photoshop

I've found that entering it as a 11134 on the M-P/240 works quite well and there is a lens profile for it in Lightroom too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought one of these little beauties on the strength of this thread. I couldn't be happier.

• Like 6

It is a fine lens, but... I have the LTM. You can see samples here, on a Fuji X APS-C camera. Then I got to use an Elmar 24/3.8. What a difference. The Elmar has the sharpness of most good modern lenses such as the Fuji X native ones - but it renders textures in a way that leaves them behind. A couple of examples here.

It's worth getting the square LH-1 hood for the lens. Makes a big difference to flare (and contrast, under certain lighting conditions).

It's not easy to find but Cameraquest sometimes have them in the US and Robert White in the UK.

It will however block off some of the viewfinder but I've found the improvements to be worth this sacrifice. Photo below was shot straight into the sun.

M8 CV21/4, f8attachicon.gifGoing home.jpg

The LH-1 hood makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to flare with the CV  21mm f4, as your image above shows perfectly well despite the post processing. The LH-1 only increases bulk.

This lens has the worst propensity for flare of just about any lens I've ever used on any format, with or without the LH-1 hood and is the main reason I got rid of my ltm version of the CV 21mm soon after I bought it. 

In it's favour, it's compact and lightweight but that's where the story ends for me.

ETA:  I bought the CV 28mm f3.5 at the same time as the 21mm and I still have that, it's one of my favourite lenses on my MP,  completely different to the 21mm in construction, materials and performance.  Others have not been so impressed with the CV 28mm as I am, so it may be that these early CV ltm lenses were prone to significant QC issues, but flare is flare!

Edited by honcho

[...] This lens has the worst propensity for flare of just about any lens I've ever used on any format [...]

I'm still wondering if we talk about the same lens here. Is yours a current version? Every lens will flare more or less, especially in circumstances of the pic above, but my CV 21/4 is not worse than the majority of WA lenses i've been using since the last century. It flares indeed a bit more than my Leica 21/3.4 asph but not by much to be honest. Lenses like CV 35/1.4 SC, Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph or Tele-Elmarit "thin" 90/2.8 are much worse than that.

• Like 1

The LH-1 hood makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to flare with the CV  21mm f4, as your image above shows perfectly well despite the post processing. The LH-1 only increases bulk.

This lens has the worst propensity for flare of just about any lens I've ever used on any format, with or without the LH-1 hood and is the main reason I got rid of my ltm version of the CV 21mm soon after I bought it. 

In it's favour, it's compact and lightweight but that's where the story ends for me.

ETA:  I bought the CV 28mm f3.5 at the same time as the 21mm and I still have that, it's one of my favourite lenses on my MP,  completely different to the 21mm in construction, materials and performance.  Others have not been so impressed with the CV 28mm as I am, so it may be that these early CV ltm lenses were prone to significant QC issues, but flare is flare!

Hmmm. We seem to have widely differing experiences. Maybe down to sample variation or just technique?

Ernst

All lenses flair.....some more than others...and as photographers we are expected to "work with" our equipment..... notice flair and change something.....move the camera..... get a card and shade a lens..... ask a friend to help block the sun from hitting the lens.......move the subject.....or simply abandon that shot and try something else,because the lights not right......or you could shoot and embrace the flair.... and  you could perhaps even create something new in post....using the flair

Its the photographer that makes the photo.....and the options are endless....aren't they?

I find many on this forum expect  perfection .....lenses are compromises.

......the only thing, perfect is the human eye....and that even flairs sometimes too.......so change something.

all right..... fine .....so the human eye isn't perfect either   :)

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

Care to elaborate on your 'technique'?

Many people, me included are very happy with this lens. I especially enjoy it with the LH-1 hood.

But you haven't got good results with it. That could be down to sample variation or the way you're using it?

My technique is simply to use the large hood and try to be prudent when there is full sun, either straight on or incident to the lens

Ernst