problems in getting Lightroom 6

leicatraveller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i was trying to download the lightroom 6, well i did all procedure, i arrive to the page of adobe (following the link sent me by leica ) where i put my license code/serial (https://redeem.licenses.adobe.com/getserial)

i do all and i m not allowed to proceed with download, i finish in a page of adobe cloude where i can only "try for 30 days " the lightroom CC

i m not so dumb (i have good experience also as webdesigner and i don't want to become crazy with adobe /leica tricks.... :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

Luke, I wish I had received your experience. Having gone carefully through all of the stages via Leica Owners site to download LR6, I ended up with no other choice but a cloud version of LR (despite the preceding screen welcoming me to a LR6 download). I have no interest in the Cloud, so will stick to my last standalone software.

Here is an amusing postscript. Faced with the choice of Lightroom CC (2015) or photoshop cc, I used the Search box to find Lightroom 6. Adobe said there were no results but asked, "Did I mean Leghorn 6?"" That is a new product to me. :)

I don't want to be an apologist for Adobe because they are not my favorite but I was really annoyed when they announced the cloud Photoshop, but did go ahead with the $9.99/month (I think it is $100 a year) program that gets you Photoshop and Bridge and Lightroom.  I have to say I ate my words because the cloud system works very well.   The program itself is not in the cloud (I didn't understand that right away)  and you do not need to be connected to the Internet to use it.   But you can easily sync settings between two computers and updates are frequent and automatic (you do need to be connected to do an update but that is no different than the old system).  The updates are sometimes bug fixes and sometimes new features. Plus, when I changed computers it was no longer a hassle to find the license number and recredential myself.  It is all now attached to your Adobe ID.   In terms of cost, it is about the same as upgrading every two years.  So CC shouldn't be rejected out of hand. 

• Like 2

I just tried to get LR6 perpetual as v.6.1.1 using the TAN with my recently purchased Leica Q. Leica promptly sends license details but when I try to download from Adobe it's only valid for CC. And for this, my Mac OS, 10.8.5, would need updating from Mountain Lion to a later OS – which I don't want to do. As others have said, with LR6 you are told that it's 'fully up to date' and for practical use it's indeed fine – except that 6.1.1 'recognises' the Leica Q. I find, for instance, that importing cropped files into LR6>Develop doesn't show the enlarged optional DNG, but processes the smaller (=35mm) crop. You can waste time trying to enter Adobe's 'chat' system for possible help but it wants to merely shunt you off to its forums… infuriating!   :(

There is a web page that tells you hown to convert a Cloud download to perpetual (only works on Mac with later OSs).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had similar issues trying to download Lightroom, the first stage of the process was to download the Adobe Software Downloader, Once that was installed the only Lightroom link on it was for CC. However, I found that when I clicked that link it did in fact download Lightroom 6, not CC.

This was on a PC, my Mac is too old for Lightroom 6 so I can't say whether it would be the same on a Mac.

Mike, I wonder how that happened? My experience was different except that LR icon appeared on my Windows desktop. But when I double clicked it, it came to nothing. (reporting some problem along the way which meant nothing to me) It is very frustrating when you have a qualifying download for LR6 but trying to download it is fraught with problems. I asked Leica Software Support who only gave me a link to the Adobe website which was equally ambiguous and unhelpful.

The withdrawal of effective LR6 download is proving an embarrassment for users and Leica. There are many users who prefer not to subscribe to Cloudland. Ironically, I had no difficulty downloading LR5 a day or so earlier, using an unused TAN for an older camera. Like microview, I would have liked a download of LR6.1.1 for Q files processing.

I just downloaded LR6.

Here are the steps I followed based on the feedback of this forum:

1. Got the redemption code from Leica by entering the TAN code on their web site

2. Went to the Adobe page to sign in (link in the Leica email)

3. Did NOT (repeat NOT) download from that page

4. Rather went to the https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html page

5. Downloaded the Mac version and installed it. The installation process asks wether this a purchased product or a trial (click on purchased) and then requires to sign in and to give a serial number. That's the number received in the Leica email.

6. Launched LR6 and upgraded the LR5 catalog (keeping a backup just in case)

7. Clicked on Help and on Updates

8. Downloaded the update and installed it.

Now running LR6.5 on OSX 10.11 (El Capitan)

• Like 2

From my own experience of downloading from that page.

The result was the download of a CC installer. So, didn't want to proceed any further as I had read in this threat http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/254803-lightroom-6-download-directly-from-the-adobe-website/ that there was a direct download available (tx Ramarren).

Mike, I wonder how that happened? My experience was different except that LR icon appeared on my Windows desktop. But when I double clicked it, it came to nothing. (reporting some problem along the way which meant nothing to me) It is very frustrating when you have a qualifying download for LR6 but trying to download it is fraught with problems. I asked Leica Software Support who only gave me a link to the Adobe website which was equally ambiguous and unhelpful.

The withdrawal of effective LR6 download is proving an embarrassment for users and Leica. There are many users who prefer not to subscribe to Cloudland. Ironically, I had no difficulty downloading LR5 a day or so earlier, using an unused TAN for an older camera. Like microview, I would have liked a download of LR6.1.1 for Q files processing.

This advice was actually taken from this thread: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/251889-leica-109-lightroom6/

It seems there are several ways to download Lightroom 6, but none of them are as easy as they should be.