Nikon Lenses on M240

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am very happy with the results so far. Up to now, I used the AIS 2,8 55 micro-nikkor, the AIS 2,8 135 mm and even the AIS 4,0 200 mm coupled with the 2,0 converter. The results are constantely better than in analogue times - using higher ISO is easier now and the shutter of the Leica M is much more forgiving than the F2AS. I'll try to show some pictures here but oploading with an IPad is not so easy.

Best regards

Stephan

Out of interest... can we see some examples of the results of Nikkor lenses on the M240?

There's an example in the third post in this related thread: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/256458-mount-nikon-ai-s-glass-on-m-p-240/

Yesterday I purchased a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 that appears to be in mint condition, and I've ordered a Fotodiox adaptor. Should have both later this week, and I'll try to find time to post some photos. Like one of the people in the above thread (eighth post), I also want to try using the 180mm Nikkor f/2.8, to which I have ready access. Will probably also try the Nikkor 24mm f/2.8.

Note the comment in that third post about the rather expensive Novoflex. Part of what you're paying for is aperture control, which is pointless if the Nikkor lenses one wants to use have aperture rings.

Edited by STB

My Fotodiox adaptor arrived yesterday. It's very well made and fits both the M mount and the F flange perfectly.

Focus peaking works very well, infinity focus works and metering is as normal.

Here is a photo from my Nikkor NC 24/2.8(from 1972, so 44 years old). This was shot at f8. I haven't changed the contrast or sharpening in Lightroom, so you can see the results direct from the lens.

There is quite a bit of vignetting, as you can see. I need to check that I was using the correct lens hood.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ernstk
  • Like 1

There is quite a bit of vignetting, as you can see. I need to check that I was using the correct lens hood.

I think the correct lens hood is the fairly diminutive HN-1; at least that is the right hood for my more recent version of this lens (24mm Nikkor f/2.8 AF-D). Link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=37598&gclid=CK2Z28SOmMwCFdFZhgodTUIOwA&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&A=details&Q=

Edited by STB

I'm using an HN-3, which is listed as an acceptable alternative to the HN-1.

It may be the combination of lens and M240 sensor.

I'll try some shots without the hood and I'll share the results.

UPDATE: The hood is causing the vignetting. Time to get an HN-1...

Edited by Ernstk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is the reason, the automatic focus helper isn't working when using non-Leica lenses?

With non-Leica lenses I have to press the Leica-M2-button-rewind-button to enlarge the view for focussing.

With Leica M lenses this view is brought up automatically the moment I move the focus ring on the lens.

Has it to do with how the adapter is coded?

I bought a Novoflex adapter with aperture control to play around with my Nikon lenses on the Leica MM2 - so far nothing really useful to do really.

What is the reason, the automatic focus helper isn't working when using non-Leica lenses?

With non-Leica lenses I have to press the Leica-M2-button-rewind-button to enlarge the view for focussing.

With Leica M lenses this view is brought up automatically the moment I move the focus ring on the lens.

Has it to do with how the adapter is coded?

I bought a Novoflex adapter with aperture control to play around with my Nikon lenses on the Leica MM2 - so far nothing really useful to do really.

I don't follow all of what you are saying, but I can tell you that the Novoflex adaptor is a waste of money if you are buying it to control the aperture of a Nikkor lens. The exception is Nikon G lenses that don't have an aperture ring, which I suspect are not an issue for most people who want to use a Nikkor lens with a Leica camera.

Edited by STB

Leica M lenses have a cam that is moved by the focus ring and which connects to the arm that moves the rangefinder patch.  Nikon lenses lack that connection so the body has no way of knowing the focus ring is being moved.

• Like 1

Leica M lenses have a cam that is moved by the focus ring and which connects to the arm that moves the rangefinder patch.  Nikon lenses lack that connection so the body has no way of knowing the focus ring is being moved.

I wasn't aware that this feature is indeed triggered by a sensor, recognizing the rangefinder mechanism at work.

Is there any reference to this new mechanism ?

I wasn't aware that this feature is indeed triggered by a sensor, recognizing the rangefinder mechanism at work.

Not that I have seen, but I can't imagine how it would work otherwise.  The rangefinder is the only part of the body that can recognize movement of the focus ring.  Easy to test if one is inclined.

Edited by Luke_Miller

This is not a new mechanism, it (the mechanical linkage between focus and rangefinder) been part of the M since the M3. A quick google search provides this link, with the correct answer at the bottom http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/64359/how-exactly-is-the-focus-distance-of-a-leica-m-lens-mechanically-transmitted-to

Edited by JeffWright

This is not a new mechanism, it (the mechanical linkage between focus and rangefinder) been part of the M since the M3. A quick google search provides this link http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/64359/how-exactly-is-the-focus-distance-of-a-leica-m-lens-mechanically-transmitted-to

This is not the mechanism which causes the focus assist of the M to kick in. This needs another kind of "mechanism" which senses the motion of the mechanism you point out.

So guys, you have me a bit confused.

I am aware how the mechanical rangefinder of the Leica M works up to the M9 generation of cameras and have worked with them.

Does the M10 generation of digital M cameras introduce a sensor to the mechanical rangefinder mechanism to sense motion of the focus ring and if this is the method, where does this sensor sit (illustrations / drawings)?

Is it a sophisticated sensor (potentiometer, linked to software, "knowing" about focal length, … ) or just a dumb sensor, sensing motion of the RF arm?

So guys, you have me a bit confused.

I am aware how the mechanical rangefinder of the Leica M works up to the M9 generation of cameras and have worked with them.

Does the M10 generation of digital M cameras introduce a sensor to the mechanical rangefinder mechanism to sense motion of the focus ring and if this is the method, where does this sensor sit (illustrations / drawings)?

Is it a sophisticated sensor (potentiometer, linked to software, "knowing" about focal length, … ) or just a dumb sensor, sensing motion of the RF arm?

A simple switch. Live View or the EVF must be on.

• Like 2

This afternoon, received the FotodioX adaptor and tried it with Nikkor lenses for which I don't have a Leica equivalent, specifically the 24mm f/2.8 AF-D and the 180mm f/2.8 AF-D IF-ED.

The adaptor seems robust - no problem bearing the 760g/1.67lb weight of the 180 - and you can buy 6 1/2 of them for the cost of Novoflex's adaptor.

I should receive the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 (made ~1978) tomorrow or Thursday, and will post some test shots at some point in the next week. I hope also to have a Nikon M2 ring, which will take this lens from half life size (1:2) to life size (1:1).

Edited by STB

Here's my final set up and cost for a close-up lens (1/10th life size to life size) on an M 240:

Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 (circa 1978) from E-Bay in mint condition: US$85

Nikon M2 extension ring from Adorama in E- condition (takes the lens from 1:2 to 1:1): $7

FotodioX Nikon to M mount from B&H Photo, new: $40

Total cost: US $132

This entire set-up costs just over half the cost of a Novoflex adaptor alone, and the lens itself cost many hundreds of dollars less than what many Leica users would look to first.

Edited by STB
  • Like 1

I'm using an HN-3, which is listed as an acceptable alternative to the HN-1.

It may be the combination of lens and M240 sensor.

I'll try some shots without the hood and I'll share the results.

UPDATE: The hood is causing the vignetting. Time to get an HN-1...

Yes HN-3 is for 35mm, I have had it on 35mm and 40mm for years, you need HN-1 for a 24mm with 52mm thread.

Gerry

Edited by gyoung