Leica dioptre

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Many local opticians stock trial diopters that you can try for free.  That’s what I’ve done to ensure optimal experience despite knowing my prescription, which needs to factor in the M’s built in -.5 diopter. 

Jeff

So I just lean it on the back of the camera? I mean, I need to go and ask, i better know what I am asking for :)

10 minutes ago, mirekti said:

So I just lean it on the back of the camera? I mean, I need to go and ask, i better know what I am asking for :)

I lightly taped it to the top of my camera. The optician was very interested in the concept and process and was happy to help (and provided tape...although it could more awkwardly be held in place by hand)... he also correctly predicted the best diopter given the built in correction (and the corresponding 2m virtual viewing distance. I also wear glasses to correct for distance and astigmatism, so a +.5 diopter correction above and beyond is fairly common for aging eyes like mine.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

This is from Leica US page which basically  means I don’t need a diopter as my prescription is -0.5:

They are available in grades of +/- 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2 and 3 diopters. Please note that the Leica M-Viewfinder is preset by default to -0.5 diopters, so anyone wearing glasses of 1 diopter strength would require a +1.5 diopters correction lens.”

Edited by mirekti
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering if @Rick is still posting or if anyone can help me. I'm an M2 shooter and am not getting on well using my glasses. I'm wondering is a Diopter would help ? I asked my Optician which would be suitable and they recommended a +3. I bought a cheap one for my Nikon and it seems to be ok. However for my M2 I want to be sure. I wear Varifocals. I have the following measured results

Sph.            Cyl           A               Add

+3.0            -0.5         163            1,50

+3.0            -0.75        160           1,50

I shoot with my left eye so from what you posted early on in this thread I guess I would need

+3 + (-0.75/2) + 0.5 = +3,125 Diopter ? So I guess +3 is the correct diopter for me ?

By the way @Jono I was really interested to read your LSD post because I do a lot of work on the computer. Sometimes I notice that I can't focus on a letter, then I get a shimmering circle that expands and slowly over 20 minutes drifts out of my vision. Like a Pink Floyd live show ! I was pretty scared when that started but understand it is a type of migraine and only happens when I've been working too hard.

Edited by Big Jim

21 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I'm wondering if @Rick is still posting or if anyone can help me. I'm an M2 shooter and am not getting on well using my glasses. I'm wondering is a Diopter would help ? I asked my Optician which would be suitable and they recommended a +3. I bought a cheap one for my Nikon and it seems to be ok. However for my M2 I want to be sure. I wear Varifocals. I have the following measured results

Sph.            Cyl           A               Add

+3.0            -0.5         163            1,50

+3.0            -0.75        160           1,50

I shoot with my left eye so from what you posted early on in this thread I guess I would need

+3 + (-0.75/2) + 0.5 = +3,125 Diopter ? So I guess +3 is the correct diopter for me ?

By the way @Jono I was really interested to read your LSD post because I do a lot of work on the computer. Sometimes I notice that I can't focus on a letter, then I get a shimmering circle that expands and slowly over 20 minutes drifts out of my vision. Like a Pink Floyd live show ! I was pretty scared when that started but understand it is a type of migraine and only happens when I've been working too hard.

It won't work by calculating unless you are an expert, there is too much variation in the accommodation ability of the eye between individuals.
Not only must you be able to see the RF patch clearly, the telescopic image must be clear at the focussing distance too The simplest way to be sure that you get the right dioptre is to visit your optometrist and use his try-out lenses to find the most comfortable dioptre strength. You cannot just throw the native .5 strength of the system into the calculation. That value is there to make it easier to see the patch at a virtual 2m. The value will change once you start correcting. Rick was indeed able to do the sums correctly.He still visits occasionally.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, jaapv said:

It won't work by calculating unless you are an expert, there is too much variation in the accommodation ability of the eye between individuals.
Not only must you be able to see the RF patch clearly, the telescopic image must be clear at the focussing distance too The simplest way to be sure that you get the right dioptre is to visit your optometrist and use his try-out lenses to find the most comfortable dioptre strength. You cannot just throw the native .5 strength of the system into the calculation. That value is there to make it easier to see the patch at a virtual 2m. The value will change once you start correcting. Rick was indeed able to do the sums correctly.He still visits occasionally.

Yesterday I tried a +3 diopter in a Leica store with my M2. I didn't have long to test it and wasn't really sure what and how I should be testing it ? 

What I can say is that without glasses the viewfinder seemed clear. I was able to focus at infinity and close up. Is there something more than this I need to do ?

Are there any alternatives to the very expensive Leica dioptrine attachments ?