Leica dioptre

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

10 hours ago, jaeger said:

my new prescription is +1.75 but I cannot find +2.5.  Does Leica not making +2.5 diopter? 

My prescription is +2.5.  A +0.5 diopter is slightly too weak and a +1.0 is slightly too strong.  A +0.75 would be perfect.   Unless you want to acquire a collection of $100 plus correction eyepieces (as I have) you might want to visit a store that will let you try them.  Magnifiers are another issue.  If I mount either my +1.25 or +1.40 magnifier I need a different diopter correction than without it.  Perhaps it is unique to my vision, but I have to use a progressively stronger diopter with each magnifier. 

Edited by Luke_Miller

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

Only possible to mount it on the magnifier. You may need a slightly different one, though.

How did you determine +2.5? For laymen the best way is trial and error.

Yes I just reckoned the diopter mount on magnifier only.

Other forum members mentioned that the M240 RF has default -0.5 am I correct?  To cancel that I need to add +0.5 then my prescription +1.75 = +2.25 since Leica diopter has increment of 0.5 therefore I guess I need a 2.5?

However when I wear my progressive eyeglasses with a +1.5 diopter seems to work fine now.  The middle of my progressive eyeglass has some juice left probably make up to somewhat +2.something 

Edited by jaeger

3 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

My prescription is +2.5.  A +0.5 diopter is slightly too weak and a +1.0 is slightly too strong.  A +0.75 would be perfect.   Unless you want to acquire a collection of $100 plus correction eyepieces (as I have) you might want to visit a store that will let you try them.  Magnifiers are another issue.  If I mount either my +1.25 or +1.40 magnifier I need a different diopter correction than without it.  Perhaps it is unique to my vision, but I have to use a progressively stronger diopter with each magnifier. 

interesting... my case is some simple mathematics.  The diopter works as expected with or without magnifier. 

Edited by jaeger

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, jaeger said:

Yes I just reckoned the diopter mount on magnifier only.

Other forum members mentioned that the M240 RF has default -0.5 am I correct?  To cancel that I need to add +0.5 then my prescription +1.75 = +2.25 since Leica diopter has increment of 0.5 therefore I guess I need a 2.5?

However when I wear my progressive eyeglasses with a +1.5 diopter seems to work fine now.  The middle of my progressive eyeglass has some juice left probably make up to somewhat +2.something 

Yes, but the -0,5 must NOT be cancelled. It is needed to facilitate the eye focusing at 2 m which is the virtual distance of the framelines and RF patch and is introduced specifically by Leica for a person with perfect vision or perfectly corrected eyesight.

The value must be calculated to allow your specific eye to accommodate between 2m and infinity. If that is not possible (any more ;) ) the focus must be at 2 m.

Unless you are a skilled optometrist  with knowledge of rangefinders you cannot calculate the correct value. The best way is to determine it empirically. Visit an optometrist or good optician and use his try-out lenses to determine the correct dioptre value.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

Unless you are a skilled optometrist  with knowledge of rangefinders you cannot calculate the correct value. The best way is to determine it empirically. Visit an optometrist or good optician and use his try-out lenses to determine the correct dioptre value.

That is really the only way to do it. I took my cameras to my optician and simply tried different diopters between my eyeglasses and the viewfinder, in my case a +0.5 is what was needed for me to properly see through the vf.

On 12/14/2018 at 9:15 AM, Jean-Michel said:

That is really the only way to do it. I took my cameras to my optician and simply tried different diopters between my eyeglasses and the viewfinder, in my case a +0.5 is what was needed for me to properly see through the vf.

just curious, what is your reading prescription indicate? 

2 hours ago, jaeger said:

just curious, what is your reading prescription indicate? 

Hi, 

I don’t have my prescription at hand;  my eyeglasses are multifocal and even have a prism in them. I don’t think that it matters to know the prescription value in order to calculate the diopter needed for the finder, unless you know exactly the value at the spot in you eyeglasses that you use to look through the finder. So, your optician is your friend in this case, it only takes a few minutes of trial and error with their diopter set and you camera to find the correct diopter.

I prefer to wear glasses to correct for astigmatism (and distance).  That way I can see everything even when my eye isn’t against the VF.  With age, the addition of a +.5 diopter makes M viewing ideal.  

Each person needs to figure out not just the best option for sight, but also for comfort and viewing preference.  It’s a personal thing, not just mathematics.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jean-Michel said:

So, your optician is your friend in this case, it only takes a few minutes of trial and error with their diopter set and you camera to find the correct diopter.

In my case I ended up purchasing a set of various diopter Leica corrective eyepieces in order to select the one that worked the best for my vision.  One factor I did not consider was subject distance.  Normally I shoot events and the camera-subject distance would be somewhere in the vicinity of ten feet or less.  I found the perfect correction for that distance, but the first time I had a shoot at, or near, infinity I found I could not see clearly enough to focus and had to remove the corrective eyepiece.  My current diopter selection works for near and far, but is not as good at near subjects as my initial choice.  For those with younger eyes that don't need reading glasses this may not be an issue.

1 hour ago, Luke_Miller said:

In my case I ended up purchasing a set of various diopter Leica corrective eyepieces in order to select the one that worked the best for my vision.  One factor I did not consider was subject distance.  Normally I shoot events and the camera-subject distance would be somewhere in the vicinity of ten feet or less.  I found the perfect correction for that distance, but the first time I had a shoot at, or near, infinity I found I could not see clearly enough to focus and had to remove the corrective eyepiece.  My current diopter selection works for near and far, but is not as good at near subjects as my initial choice.  For those with younger eyes that don't need reading glasses this may not be an issue.

Hi,

Do you remove your glasses when photographing?  I don’t and once I installed the diopter, my view through my glasses and diopter is fine at all distances; same as with using the diopter adjusted EVF on my M-P 

Hi There

two points

1. shooting a rangefinder with glasses is a pain

2. shooting a rangefinder fitted with a diopter is a pain (reduces the light etc).

Solution (if you can), wear a disposable contact lens in your shooting eye, and if you can do monovision that's even better (ie have distance lens in your right eye, reading lens in your left)

My eyes are also sensitive to light, so prescription sunglasses are more effective and practical than contacts, which I dislike anyway.  For me, thin and flexible frames make M viewing easy, especially with good eye relief and the bigger VF opening on the M10.  The diopter doesn’t bother me at all; it makes focusing clearer.

Whatever works...

Jeff

9 hours ago, Jean-Michel said:

Do you remove your glasses when photographing?  I don’t and once I installed the diopter, my view through my glasses and diopter is fine at all distances; same as with using the diopter adjusted EVF on my M-P 

No, I don't use glasses for photographing.  I often use both eyes and my reading glasses would make that difficult.

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Ok, I am not having a chance to go to Leica store anytime soon. My prescription is -0.5. What diopter strength would I need in such case?
Thanks.

Many local opticians stock trial diopters that you can try for free.  That’s what I’ve done to ensure optimal experience despite knowing my prescription, which needs to factor in the M’s built in -.5 diopter. 

Jeff