Attention: price hike!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear fellow T users,

i was just in the process of debating an order of the Summilux-TL from lecuit in Luxembourg, when their price increased from 1900€ to 2150€ this morning. Same happened at an Italian dealer. I was lucky enough to find one for a bit less than 1900, just after i gave Leica in Wetzlar a call - they confirmed that the retail price will be 2150€, so feel free to call all dealers you know right now to get it for 250€ less ;-)

• Like 1

It is $2,395 now in the US... out of the blue a price increase of about 20% before the lens is even available in the stores, I guess it must be selling well but it is not exactly very customer friendly of Leica...

I was thinking of buying the silver version, I might reconsider that now...

• Like 1

It's not exactly in good faith that Leica initially set the price and our expectations to be lower, and then increased the price by 20% before the lens was released.  I think this should at least require some explanation.  After all, they also just dropped the price on the T bundle that many of us paid significantly more for...

I think this should at least require some explanation.  After all, they also just dropped the price on the T bundle that many of us paid significantly more for...

+1.  I can understand the bundle as the Leica T is about 2 years old but adding around 23% to the lens price (was $1,950) seems stretching it a bit...

Just got my Summilux TL from the local Leica dealer. They were customer friendly and sold it for 1900 € since I had it on order for quite some time, when it still was 1900 €

From a marketing perspective a strange decision. You hit especially those customers, who are the most loyal, waiting by the door step for the next lens to be available. I don't like to be skimmed as marketeers suggest.

From a value for money perspective the new TL lens is the best T lens of all. It comes right out of Wetzlar (whereas the other T lenses are made in Japan by a subcontractor).

It is a 1:1,4 compared to the Summicron 23mm which is 1:2 and foremost, the IQ is unbelievably better. In that respect, 2150 € vs. 1600 € for the cron are better value for money. But my full understanding for everybody who is p.o.-ed at this policy

• Like 1

I bought a T with the sole intention of mating it to a 50mm Summilux-M and have loved that camera combo for the last near 2 years, but having AF is something that I have started to really want, especially as I have a newborn. I tried a few of the native T lenses on my T and the focus speed was OK not great, and they had a Q to let me compare and it's light years ahead, so even though I really wanted the 35mm Summilux-TL for the T to get a classic 50mm FOV, it seems a compromise to pay that much to get a system that is slow.

So please don't hate me, but given the price of the new 35mm Summilux, I've just spent the same amount of money to have a Sony A6300 and the Sony 35mm FE Distagon f/1.4 lens. Same FOV, the camera+lens is only a bit bigger than the T + 35mm TL (I always factor in that ridiculously large TL hood), and the AF speed is faster than a Q, too.

I'm ambivalent about this, though: I really, really wanted to build a system around the T, and I agree that the Leica approach of making a camera with great IQ with a very intuitive interface geared to letting you take pictures is brilliant, but unless you're a professional photographer with demanding clients, all the tech talk about images needing to be corner-to-corner sharp and in-camera correction, pricing things at this level when your competitor is kicking your ass in the sensor department becomes contemptuous of your customers.

Now, I have available to me both FOVs without having to worry about changing a lens while I'm out and about.  ;) 

IMG 1542

IMG 1541

Guest Alxndr

I bought a T with the sole intention of mating it to a 50mm Summilux-M and have loved that camera combo for the last near 2 years, but having AF is something that I have started to really want, especially as I have a newborn. I tried a few of the native T lenses on my T and the focus speed was OK not great, and they had a Q to let me compare and it's light years ahead, so even though I really wanted the 35mm Summilux-TL for the T to get a classic 50mm FOV, it seems a compromise to pay that much to get a system that is slow.

So please don't hate me, but given the price of the new 35mm Summilux, I've just spent the same amount of money to have a Sony A6300 and the Sony 35mm FE Distagon f/1.4 lens. Same FOV, the camera+lens is only a bit bigger than the T + 35mm TL (I always factor in that ridiculously large TL hood), and the AF speed is faster than a Q, too.

I'm ambivalent about this, though: I really, really wanted to build a system around the T, and I agree that the Leica approach of making a camera with great IQ with a very intuitive interface geared to letting you take pictures is brilliant, but unless you're a professional photographer with demanding clients, all the tech talk about images needing to be corner-to-corner sharp and in-camera correction, pricing things at this level when your competitor is kicking your ass in the sensor department becomes contemptuous of your customers.

Now, I have available to me both FOVs without having to worry about changing a lens while I'm out and about.  ;) 

Apart from the (apparent) size, I don't know Sony's A6300/35 mm combo. Nevertheless... there are not many people who have used the T and consider it a "slow" camera (especially not with the latest firmware installed). Apart from that: you could have taken the long view, and invest in the T-lenses in the on certainty bordering probability that each new T will be a faster camera.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of people who consider owning two camera's more fun than one.  :D

Regards,

Alexander

• Like 1

@soundsgoodsg - Best wishes with your new born.  Take lots of photos, with whatever camera you use.  Kids do grow up quickly.  Enjoy every moment!  Cheers.