Leica 28mm Summicron ASPH 2016 #11672-- Owners Thread

stump4545

Advertisement (gone after registration)

By f 4 the difference is gone - so old and new look the same. Below f 4 the difference is clear (old has soft sides, new delivers sharp sides) . Is that clearer?

Thanks so much for the effort! Kinda what I was expecting. Any chance you could post the shots here so we can do the comparison ourselves? And would you say you did not see any difference in the center of the frame?

Edited by Tmuussoni

In my memory of the old one the bo-keh wasn't that smooth as in the new one, which I showed here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/255578-rumor-three-new-leica-m-lenses-tomorrow/page-11

This is just an impression and completely unproven, I wonder if someone has a bo-keh example of the older one.

Speaking of flare resistance, here are two trials to produce flare:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

second

• Like 3

Ok, so the new lens has more focus shift, slightly better corners wide open, and is a sh$t-load more expensive.  But, all of the technical things are yet to be demonstrated here with examples.

The old one is on sale, has a better clip-on hood (one that actually works) and at the very least can utilize any number of different hoods, while the new is stuck with the screw in type that does not provide the coverage of the old and is a pain to use with filters.  

I'd say the jury is still out on this lens.  My suspicion is that we really aren't going to know how much better this new lens is until we see it on the new M360 with thicker filter glass?

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find it annoying when I am using the M lenses with focus shift for close and medium distance with shallow DOF.  Why?  Because I have to remember to refocus the lens each time I change f/stops to account for the shift in focus.  A lens should not do this and many Leica lenses do not and are superb.  I have only really found this to happen in the 28s, 35s and now 50s Lux and APO.  I just sent my two 50s to Leica for calibration along with one of my M bodies.  Last, Unoh7 is correct, if you are shooting f/8...the DOF for landscapes, focus shift won't make a difference.  But if you are shooting portraits etc, and change f/stops while shooting and not refocusing at a shallow DOF..your images will most likely have focus shift at close or medium distance if you don't take it into account by refocusing each time.

I have no focus shift from my 2007 50mm/1.4 APO Summilux.  Absolutely an exceptional lens.  I see no reason to go back and try to deconstruct the excellence of this lens.  The best 50mm lens made ever made in toto.  

Rick

• Like 1

which lens hoods can one use with old 28mm summciron besides the big plastic one it comes with?

12589:

12588:

12466:

• Like 5

I have got the new Summicron 28mm. You can shoot directly into the sun. But use do not use the lens without its hood if the sun is right outside of the frame. You will lose contrast. However, this lens performs very well. And you can focus and adjust aperture without being disturbed by a big plastic hood. If Leica has improved the optics, I do not know. But until now I have not had any issues with focus shift or Italian flag syndrom. On the contrary: It just draws colors beautifully and is sharp from corner to corner (if they are in focus).

Wide open, M240, processed in Capture One:

• Like 4

Ok, so the new lens has more focus shift, 

Rick

Please do not spread nonsense rumors; as has already been said and tested by an owner here (#27), there is no focus shift on either 28asph cron. Nor on mine.

Edited by otto.f

Please do not spread nonsense rumors; as has already been said and tested by an owner here (#27), there is no focus shift on either 28asph cron. Nor on mine.

May i ask you the same question as above? At what focus distance(s) have you tested focus shift please? Also at what aperture(s)? Thanks in advance.

Edited by lct

I do not see any posted results about focus shift in post #27 and I do not see yours posted here.  That's all.  I'd like to get to the bottom of it and be objective.  Some lenses have been reported to exhibit focus, glad yours is fine.

The reason for my statement is from post #9 which was not a rumor.  Lloyd Chambers has posted results (photos).  None here, just hearsay.  

This is from post #9:

"I tested the new Leica M 28mm f/2 Summicron in a Leica Store using their Lens Align.  The two copies I tested showed the 28mm Summicron had focus shift.  I also reported my findings to Stefan Daniels at Leica.   Lloyd Chambers (website) also tested both new 28mm M lenses and found the M 28mm f/2 Summicron had severe focus shift.  Which you could clearly see from his test shot comparisons."

Rick