Summar 5cm variations

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, eastwestphoto said:

I am only interested in the Summar's Bokeh, as its a double Guass lens. No other, there is a Bokeh group on Facebook and believe me its an eye opening photo group, full of education. Give it a try. Regards, Don

For those obsessed with bokeh:

William

• 1 month later...

A couple of pictures taken with a normal 1935 chrome 50mm Summar I recently acquired that suffers from the problem of an over cleaned front lens.

Interesting spread of light in the highlights. The top picture of the boats was taken on a 60th at f9 and the lower one of the boat at the back of the boatyard was taken wide open on a 20th at f2.

Both on a Leica 111 with Pan F in Moersch Tanol. Scanned from darkroom prints.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Pyrogallol

• 9 months later...

I bought it a few days ago. Leica III outfit with SOOMP Lens Hood and really nice Summar. 🤩 Camera and Lens from 1935.
The Summar has 12 blades and both lenses, front and rear are coated. No scratches!
Inside there is a light haze and some dust. It will then be cleaned by me.

That Summar looks like it has been coated. Nothing wrong with that. I am going to have the more modern of my Summars, the 1937 Chrome one coated at some point. I will leave my early nickel 1933 one that sits on my 250FF, uncoated. 

Wilson

• 6 months later...

Hello

this is the latest one to arrive today. The glass. are clean without haze and scratches.

SN 186302

Alain

• Like 2

3 hours ago, atex said:

Hello

this is the latest one to arrive today. The glass. are clean without haze and scratches.

SN 186302

Alain

Nice Example. Here is my Rigid Summar SN 186431 (slightly later than yours) on a contemporary II model D.

William

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned a 50mm f2 Summar for several years which when extended and locked into the taking position has the aperture settings upside down although the rangefinder focus is accurate. Obviously someone has had it apart over the years and then re assembled the optical unit upside down and it annoys me.

Am wondering if anyone knows a easy way of correcting  this problem please?: Thanks, Don

tube of Summar consists from 2 parts, when lens is extended (left photo) only the upper part can be seen. Both parts are fixed together with 3 screws, one shown on left picture. You need flat scredriver 1-1,5mm. After loosing the screws you may turn upper part so that aperture marks will be in correct position. For this excercise lens shall be locked and it could be easier to rotate upper part clockwise until it will be correct.

But there could be as well one or more places where the lens was not assembled correctly - all this does not have impact on focusing but impacts position of aperture marks and retracting the lens.
Right photo shows lens in locked position. Watch position of black arrow on the tube in regard to black line on the mount (orange arrow). When unlocking the lens you turn CCW until the other arrow on the tube (not visible on the photo) will be in line with the mark on the mount - this helps to find the position when lens may be retracted. Is this correct now? If yes, than after rotating upper part for having aperture in correct position these arrows will not match anymore with the mark on the mount. Then corrections need to be done in other paces but this requires at least partial dismount.
If however these arrows are not correct now than you have a good chance that they will be afterwards

Edited by jerzy
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Reviving the thread to document an early Summar I stumbled upon. Sn°167211. Happy to know if it is a rehoused one or not.

Cheers,

Simon

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb All3g0ry:
Reviving the thread to document an early Summar I stumbled upon. Sn°167211. Happy to know if it is a rehoused one or not.

Cheers,

Simon

It was rehoused pretty sure. I have a 167812 and I have written proof from Leica Wetzlar that according to their books it was delivered as a rigid lens and a few more ths later turned in and converted to a collapsible Summar.

• Like 2

Lens 167211 is not in the rigid list (attached image)or converted lenses list either. In my opinion this is an original collapsible, but produced in the ‘non black rim’ era, with an unused serial number

167218, currently on ebay is the same, missing off both lists which points to an original regular version collapsible. 

• Like 1

Hello all !

I was lucky to find a Rigid Summar at a local auction and recently had it cleaned  by Will Van Manen .

It still bears various marks on the glass elements yet the rendering is very nice !

Some test shots taken on a M10-P:

Best wishes !

Jean-Marc.

• Like 2