film in checked flight luggage

MarkP

So idiot me put about 8 rolls of ISO 50 & 800 Cinestill in my checked flight luggage, both exposed and unexposed...

Has anyone's film survived this?

Here you go: 

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml   

http://filmadvance.com/2013/10/how-to-flying-with-film/

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/support/ServiceSupportProductContent.do?dbid=670359&prodcat=495907&sscucatid=664277

From the second link:

In summary:

- Never put your film in a checked bag.

- Keep your film in a clear, plastic baggie and request a “hand check.”

- Avoid traveling with film faster than ISO 400.

- Include one roll of old, fast film in your supply.

- Be polite when dealing with security personnel.

Regarding your already xrayed film, I would get it developed and see how it comes out.  The cost won't be horrid - it's eight rolls, not two hundred.

Edited by Carlos Danger

(...)

- Be polite when dealing with security personnel.

(...)

Maybe this is a key point. Typically, I get my films hand-inspected. If it is declined, this is normally, because it is too busy. I don't bother then, just want to avoid that multple exposure is adding up to a visible amount.

Most scanners have a sticker, telling they are safe up to 1600 ISO. I didn't have any issues yet (travelling with 800 ISO maximum).

Stefan

...and once, security even offered hand-inspection, since Portra boxes come with a "Professional" sticker, they said, they didn't want to spoil pro-material.

I have my film in transparent plastic bags, if they have to go through the scanner, I make sure they go with the coat, not with the camera bag; I've seen several times, that they turned up the intensity (could be post processing only), since brass camera bodys appear to be rather intransparent to X-ray.

Stefan

• Like 1

...and once, security even offered hand-inspection, since Portra boxes come with a "Professional" sticker, they said, they didn't want to spoil pro-material.

I have my film in transparent plastic bags, if they have to go through the scanner, I make sure they go with the coat, not with the camera bag; I've seen several times, that they turned up the intensity (could be post processing only), since brass camera bodys appear to be rather intransparent to X-ray.

Stefan

It's post-processing - there's no way they'll allow the operators to monkey with the x-ray levels. If they can't see what's in your bag on the scanner, they open it up for a visual inspection.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know one guy who looses a lot of Fuji Pro 160NS (120) and FP100C instant films on a trip from Germany to Japan and back again. We couldn't figure out where this might have happened. Not all his film was affected. But he put some of them in the checked baggage, so we guess this are the spoiled ones. Since it is only 100/160 ASA film the radiation must have been quite strong. The film has a strong white fog allover and reaches only about 25 ASA afterwards, and was unusable.
He was there during the Tsunami. Since not all films are affected I don't believe in radioactivity as a reason.

In 2008 I worked on an airport in Berlin and they checked me daily. Some times, not always, my equipment and with it the films was x-rayed. All stuff from 135, 120 up 4x5" sheet-film in cassettes and up to 800 ASA. They even put my large-format box in the scanner. Unfortunately it was about 2 cm to small. Otherwise it won't have fit in there. So I guess some films get scanned about 4-5 times. Often there was no time to separate the films from the cameras, so it was scanned all together.

Since I get the films developed in a pro-lab every day I had a good control, if there was some damage. Since there was none I though there stuff should be save.

In the end I got in there with my Leica bag and two Fuji Superia 800 X-tra. Unfortunately this films get's spoiled a bit. They looked like underexposed and was rather grainy.

Some maybe wouldn't have noticed that there was a damage at all, since it was absolutely even, no flares or such. But I used other films with the same batch before and after and they where all ok. I don't believe that I underexposed these two rolls by mistake. If so they would be the only ones in all the years I used my Leica. So I would suggest never to x-ray your films together with your Leica.

If the scanners discovered one their X-ray eyes seemed to get rather bright ;)

With my Mamiyas and Sinar all went well.

• Like 1

On that basis, expose/use the suspect films, on something non-critical, if you are going to process anyway. You have a good chance of success.

Are we talking colour or B&W btw?

I'm with erl on this, having grown up under a regime of eat everything that's on your plate. I would:

1) Develop all rolls that have been exposed (shot). Little downside to this compared with never knowing.

2) Take the unexposed rolls and go and shoot for fun.

3) If (2) is not to your want, give the films to someone who will go and shoot them.

I hope your films were not affected.

• Like 1

I would just throw away the unused rolls, it is some unwritten law that you will get a great capture and then find the film was ruined. How is the price of one roll of film, given you own and use Leica equipment, possibly a critical amount of money to take this risk? I could live without ever knowing whether the film was ruined.

• Like 1

Fact is, Mark has, I believe, more than one camera. Not really risky loading one of them with a "Russian Roulette" roll of film.

Unwritten laws are unwritten for a reason! :D

• Like 2

So far so good wit the 100 ISO film. Haven't scanned the 800 Iso film yet....... :)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/254971-australian-cityscapes-open-thread/page-7

Posts #130 & 131

It should be pretty obvious from the negs if they've been affected - I'm assuming there's nothing immediately obvious?

• Like 1

I'd process a portion of each roll and see, too tight to sacrifice a whole roll. You'd need to find a lab that will do this though [...]

My old professional lab would charge a whole lot extra for that.

I have been using a Domke lead lined bag and was surprised to see the film inside the bag evident on the screen when it was recently scanned at Manchester Airport. It was more of a 'shadow' rather than a detailed image, but clearly some of the x-ray appeared to be getting through the lead.

Lead is not completely x-ray proof. Since they use a very thin (relatively) sheet of lead in these bags it is enough to increase the intensity of the X-Ray beam to see inside. In turn, higher intensity beam can cause damage to films. So according to my experience, no need to have a lead bag for films in carry-on luggage. 

• Like 1

I touched on this earlier in this thread that back in the, good old, film only days there was a great deal of concern regarding fogging of films. I never have had any problems over many years. I seem to remember that one of the photo magazines, at the time, ran some tests and found no problems. The consensus was that someone was making a lot of money selling x-ray proof bags when the danger was not proven.  

• Like 1