Lens hood thread ??

I have had the Q for 3 days - I cannot seem to unscrew or unseat the retainer over the lens hood thread to attach the lens hood.  It is very very tightly bound and I am afraid I will rupture something if I use a tool.  How do you remove ??

A 5 pound hammer , give it a couple of good wacks ;-)

Second suggestion, probably better, warm the retainer slightly with a hairdryer, the retainer well expand very slightly, just more so than the lens,

and hopefully come loose, good luck.

Edited by peterleyenaar
  • Like 1

No. Don't use any tool.  Leave the camera in a warm room.   You will need to find a soft cloth and hold he ring at two diagonally opposite places to apply an even turning motion. . Once off, the lens hood is again quite a tight fit and has to be fully screwed on to ensure that it is square to the body and gives no vignetting.    I never take the hood off, but if you are going to have any 49mm UV or clear filter protecting your lens, make sure you fit it before you put hood on.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

I think that if you grip the ring too tight you slightly misshape it and so therefor it won't unscrew because it is errr mmm misshapen  :rolleyes:

Grip it lightly but evenly around it circumference and  G E N T L Y  unscrew ...  and it will come off  :)

I have had the Q for 3 days - I cannot seem to unscrew or unseat the retainer over the lens hood thread to attach the lens hood.  It is very very tightly bound and I am afraid I will rupture something if I use a tool.  How do you remove ??

With the lens cap on, slightly push the lens cap downwards and turn counter-clockwise. Worked on my first try.

• Like 1

Had the same problem earlier this week. Rang the shop about the problem and the reply was "ah, yes - you are not the first..."  No solution other than keep trying & if no success, bring it back.  In the end I did succeed but it was interesting to note that, having unscrewed it, examined the threads then put it temporarily back on, it was then quite difficult to unscrew again.  I wonder if the thread is slightly tapered.

Oh, and it takes quite a lot of torque to ensure the lens hood is correctly aligned!

• Like 1

The best lubricant for lens rings / hoods to prevent them for "sticking" is the oil off your nose. True story.

Just smear some nose oil with your finger onto the threads every now and then and you will not have any further locking of the rings / hood.

Used this technique for many years and works a treat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The lens hood  cap is a push fit. On the positive side, at least you did not have the difficulty quite a few of us had when trying to undo the thread protector!  You should be able to gentle ease the protector out of the cap and then store it away safely.

PS - a senior moment - doh!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 2

I'm new to Leica (my Q arrived this week).  When I tried to remove the lens cap to put on the hood, it needed to be 'unscrewed' so the retainer is now part of the lens cap.  Am I being a newbie here or does that seem odd?

Its it's correct to remove the retainer.  Once you put the lens hood on, you won't need the retainer.  Put it away.

The lens hood is a push fit. On the positive side, at least you did not have the difficulty quite a few of us had when trying to undo the thread protector!  You should be able to gentle ease the protector out of the hood and then store it away safely.

The lens hood screws on to the lens.  Sorry Keith but No way is it a push fit.    I think you are getting confused with the lens cap which does slide onto the end of the lens whether you have the lens hood fitted or not. The difference between a lens cap and a lens hood is that the former stops any form of shooting, while the latter is an important part of the lens when shooting.

With the lens hood permanently fitted, you probably don't need any further protection for the lens.    

BUT If you want to use any type of 49mm filter on the lens then you will find it easier to fit the filter before you you put on the lens hood..  

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I had the same problem with mine and I used a Filter removing tool........the one that grips the circumference of stubborn filters, worked a treat:)

• 1 year later...