Changing the Q Light metering from right to left

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is my first Leica and I have been using Nikons. I know Nikon can change the direction for the light/exposure metering from right to left or vice versa. I am not even sure if the term I use is correct. It is basically to meter the exposure. Just wondering if anyone changed it before, could not find it in the manual or websites. Thanks guys :)

This is my first Leica and I have been using Nikons. I know Nikon can change the direction for the light/exposure metering from right to left or vice versa. I am not even sure if the term I use is correct. It is basically to meter the exposure. Just wondering if anyone changed it before, could not find it in the manual or websites. Thanks guys :)

You can not move direction of the light metering in the same way as with the Nikon.
You can select "Spot metering" and move the focus point to the point where you want the exposure meter, and then lock the measurement with thumbs button.
See the manual page 186 and select AEL. So you can measure exposure, then move the camera to the focus point and press the shutter release half way down for focus

Hope you can use this tip
Edited by Albert Andersen

Ben, Why would you make such a change to metering? It doesn't look like it's available on the Q. I've used Canon DSLR's for more than a decade and have not encountered this feature. Perhaps it's unique to Nikons. Just curious about what you hope to accomplish. Thanks and welcome to the forum. Many, many great folks who love photography and are very knowledgeable and love the Q.

As far as I can determine, the point being raised here is whether the exposure compensation (and sometimes other variables) increase or decreases as the thumb control is directionally turned forward or backward.  Marchyman correctly pointed out that he interpreted the question in the same way, and the answer is no!  I'm In favour of a single standard across all makes, but Nikon allowed users to reverse the operation. It's very confusing if you have two different bodies set up differently to each other.   If I remember correctly, my Olympus    variables changed values in the opposite direction to rotation of controls.

Rather than me add to the confusion with a bad explanation, I have found a well illustrated description of the reason why Nikon offer this feature as an option in the menu, here.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've used Canon DSLR's for more than a decade and have not encountered this feature. Perhaps it's unique to Nikons. Just curious about what you hope to accomplish. Thanks and welcome to the forum. Many, many great folks who love photography and are very knowledgeable and love the Q.

My Canon 7D has an option named "Dial Direction during Tv/Av" AKA C.Fn IV-2.   The options are normal and reverse direction.  Since the dials are not in direct control of the aperture or speed which way they rotate to change a setting is somewhat arbitrary.

Thank you so much everyone for taking your time to respond to my queries. As this is my first Leica and I have been using many Nikons throughout the years, it will take some time for my mind to adapt to the new change. 

Lucerne - Thank you, Spot On!, that is exactly what I was enquiring. If Leica Q do not have the function as Nikon, it would be okay, I just needed to know if there is a feature in there that I wasn't aware of. I will be happy to adapt because I am pretty sure my next camera will be another Leica.

Thanks again everyone :). Really helpful.

Cheers

• Like 1