90-280/2.8-4

cpclee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jaapv,

don't take it as an insult, but I never liked the 105-280, I always found it ugly and unwieldy. (No offence please).

I was actually always quite glad that I never had the money to buy one. (One of the few times that missing money made me happy).

And it is not even Apo (again no offence).

I always liked the 250 and 350 instead, though especially the 350 is quite poor in image quality compared (contrast !).

As this is not the first Apo from Leica, I expect only the best, and cannot see a reason why they should fail. (Size and weight of the 90-280 are probably quite conventional and not out of the ordinary, so not a risky construction at all). For example not as advanced as the Nikon fresnel lense construction (AF-S 300mm PF ED) or the Canon DO (diffractive optics) construction in the EF 4/400.

Stephan

No offense here,  but I did buy an Apo-280 4.0 in the nineties when it came out, and always regretted not getting the zoom lens, mainly because I use the lens from fixed positions and a zoom lens allows me to frame precisely.  Although the Apo 280 is marginally the better lens, the Vario Elmar is close enough to give quite similar results.

• Like 1

I keep telling myself that I won't want this lens - too big, too heavy, too expensive and I'll never use it.  This is based on prior flirtations with a Nikon 100-300 zoom (? I think? bought and sold in the 1980s) and Nikon's phenomenal Nikkor AF-S 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 ED VRII lens.

But then again ...

• Like 1

I think I'd use it (I use the 80-200R now) but I'll wait to see and hold it first. I don't expect to use it for all day street shooting  :D .

I also need to draft a position paper for my finance director - get her onside before the final decision.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

yes, the price is correct. I have one preordered. But I didn't know it will arrive already at the end of March. I rather expected a wait of several months. Depends probably on the waiting lists, and I usually manage to be in the longest ...

Edited by steppenw0lf

I live in Switzerland, europe. So I perordered in a Leica shop here.

I think you can probably preorder in any Leica shop and in many of the online shops. Many Leica shops are actually online.

Just ask, they cannot charge you for the question. Then you will also hear your local price.

Stephan

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

My gut tells me that this lens will be a lot more comfortable to hold when there's actually a hand grip on the SL.  To me, the height of the SL body is a little small and I am anxiously awaiting the grip to make it more "normal" sized for my hands.  I'm used to using DSLRs and the Leica S that at this point the SL seems not quite there yet.  But close.  A bigger body will offer a more stable platform for the 90-280.

I read it is 4650 including VAT.

Here are some specs:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1