Capture One - Profile for SL

Ingo

It seems like the SL just isn't much of a priority for Phase One. Or there's baggage between Phase One and Leica that is getting in the way. 

Adobe supports the SL, Apple supports it, Iridient Developer supports it. So do others ... 

Yup.  Here's the difference:  You'll see a new profile for developing DNG files, "Leica SL Generic,"  which gives this (white-balanced with a click on the grey card at left):

instead of this (using the previous default "generic DNG" profile:

scott
  • Like 1

So, what's the upshot?  Does it work as well, better or worse than Lightroom?

How accurate are the colors?

Thanks

Yup.  Here's the difference:  You'll see a new profile for developing DNG files, "Leica SL Generic,"  which gives this (white-balanced with a click on the grey card at left):

instead of this (using the previous default "generic DNG" profile:

scott

So, what's the upshot?  Does it work as well, better or worse than Lightroom?

How accurate are the colors?

Thanks

I don't use LR, so perhaps someone else will answer that part of your question.  The ColorChecker colors are cleaner in the new profile, as you can see above.  The concern that I had was with skin tones with fairly light complexioned people (too reddish before).  I've gone back and reprocessed a few of those, and see improvements, so the new profile does more than just increase saturation.

scott

It seems like the SL just isn't much of a priority for Phase One. Or there's baggage between Phase One and Leica that is getting in the way. 

I guess not supporting the S is their statement about Leica.  They did seem enthusiastic about getting SL support in the release.  I got my SL back from Denmark the same day that 9.1 was made available for download.

I guess not supporting the S is their statement about Leica.  They did seem enthusiastic about getting SL support in the release.  I got my SL back from Denmark the same day that 9.1 was made available for download.

S as an MF camera is in direct competition with their own camera backs, that's why it is not supported, unfortunately. But to they think not supporting S will push people towards XF? Me thinks not, rather it would draw people into the C1/XF ecosystem and possibly make the curious.

• Like 1

I am delighted as a confirmed C1 liker and LR hater, that FINALLY Phase One have got round to an SL profile. I arrived back home yesterday evening from over two weeks in Myanmar with over 2000 SL shots (and about 250 C112 shots) and was not looking forward to having to tweak them all manually as the DNG default profile was very hit and miss.

I feel sorry for S users that this is still not supported. I can only suggest that you should do as I did, organising an email, support site and Facebook pressure campaign (on Phase One's Facebook page) for C1/SL users, to shame them into SL support. I did this via posts on the LUF, various Leica pages on Facebook and Phase One's own Facebook page.  P1 admitted to me just before I left for Myanmar, that they had had to cave in on the SL due to the pressure applied to them and that Version 9.1 would include SL support.  

Wilson

I'm glad for you all, whatever silliness there was about Phase One and Leica support. 

I still prefer Lightroom anyway, however. When I've tried it, I find C1 to be a workflow mess... I get exactly what I want out of LR with very little effort. The defaults in LR 6.4 for the SL seem to be spot on to my eye.    :rolleyes:

I'm glad for you all, whatever silliness there was about Phase One and Leica support. 

I still prefer Lightroom anyway, however. When I've tried it, I find C1 to be a workflow mess... I get exactly what I want out of LR with very little effort. The defaults in LR 6.4 for the SL seem to be spot on to my eye.    :rolleyes:

Just like I feel about LR  :) 

I agree the workflow on C1 can seem a bit quirky but as user for around 14 years, I am very used to it. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Tried both...  Lightroom and c1.  It seems to be very clear when it comes to shadow recovery and sharpening....  When in lightroom the Details of the sl files are already falling appart c1 still has room for processing....    Also the sl files opened in c1 look contrastier and sharper as opened in LR without beeing touched.

Wonder why there is such an difference.

Tried both...  Lightroom and c1.  It seems to be very clear when it comes to shadow recovery and sharpening....  When in lightroom the Details of the sl files are already falling appart c1 still has room for processing....    Also the sl files opened in c1 look contrastier and sharper as opened in LR without beeing touched.

Wonder why there is such an difference.

I alomost never use any sharpening: I usually decrease it from the LR defaults, which are too aggressive IMO. 

I've pulled shadows up 5-6 stops with no problems. If I'm farther off than that, I need to reshoot anyway. 

LR defaults are neutral on contrast, C1 seems to have contrastier defaults. 

Not ot a lot of difference in the end products for me, which is what matters. I only rarely use the defaults ... If I were going to do that, I'd use in-camera JPEGs and save the trouble of raw conversion!

Edited by ramarren

I use a lot of the old canon FD Lenses.... and unfortunately they are a bit soft...  so need a little bit of sharpening.

for some works i would like to choose the inCamera jpegs... but unfortunately there is a bug in the in-camera jpeg conversion with 

strange coloring of the highlights.... i think there is already a thread somewhere here about this issue.