Leica Q and weather

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone have any experience with using the Q in rainy weather ?  I fully realize that it is not weather sealed but can it endure some intermittent light moisture exposure - ie. some exposure to light rain ?   I am walking ~160 miles in Portugal and Spain soon and will be experiencing some rainy weather.

I have read reviews where the Q was exposed to light rain and survived after being wiped off with a dry cloth.  To be honest I would be very careful and would keep the camera in a waterproof bag.  I am pretty sure that Leica would not honor the warranty if the damage was caused by exposure to moisture.

• Like 1

I have got very light raindrips on the Q, that I wiped almost instantly; I never experienced a big drip in, say, the aperture ring -and will not try...

I am considering protecting the lens and then spraying some water repellent around the moving parts, but didn't try yet.

Edited by Herve5
  • Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have a rain sleeve for my larger cameras but may have to engineer one for the size of the Q.  Perhaps the most inventive is a patent submission I saw - see attached pic.

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum. The Q does not claim to be waterproof. Odd raindrops can be quickly mopped up. But I would protect mine until the moment of exposure then replace under dry cover soon after.The lens hood does protect the front element to a degree.

• Like 1

The main reason that I have not bought a Q is the fact that it is not weather sealed.

the other reason is the fixed lens however i could live with that. But spending £3k on a camera which is not weathersealed makes no sense. Is pretty much like buying an open top car to use in winter only.

Well I have used mine from time to time in the rain and snow and just wipe it off with a soft cloth. I certainly wouldn't compare that camera to an open topped car in winter  but of course full weather sealing would be the icing in the the cake for this near perfect camera

• Like 1

Guest jvansmit

I've used mine in wet weather plenty of times (including a typhoon), and have had absolutely no issues. I don't let it get too wet but then I don't baby it either.

• Like 1

The main reason that I have not bought a Q is the fact that it is not weather sealed.

the other reason is the fixed lens however i could live with that. But spending £3k on a camera which is not weathersealed makes no sense. Is pretty much like buying an open top car to use in winter only.

Yesterday, there were violent storms here, but today is brilliant sunshine despite it still being winter.  I have owned a sports convertible for ten years without problems.  Depriving yourself of the camera that you would like simply because the weather isn't perfect 365 days of the year, and the camera isn't waterproof seems daft to me.  Do you actually Intend to go out shooting regularly on inclement days.

• Like 1

Well so far so good - I received my Q yesterday and don't expect any weather for the next few days.  I fully understood that the Q was not weather sealed but I don't really think I needed full proofing.. I took my non weather sealed Lumix GX7 230 miles on the Camino in Spain through wind, rain, and snow - two years ago.  Although I did not purposefully expose to the elements, was kept just below my parka, which I will do with the Q, the 7 performed fine.  Of course the 7 is no Q but it captured marvelous pictures.

I took a Sony nex to Portugal in December a few years ago.  It was so susceptible to water ingress that on my return I was able to return the camera to Sony for complete refurbishment without charge.  My Leica M9 would not have suffered to the same extent and I don't think anyone should baby their Leica to the extent that it stays indoors.  I don't remember reading any post in the last three years  showing water damage other than dropping it in a lake..  Correct me if I'm wrong.    You may be asking yourself "what if it rains?"    Be positive and ask yourself "what if it doesn't rain?.   

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Kristian Dowling posted a review of the Q last year including a picture of the Q in "heavy rain" (see pic). Her weather assessment: "The Leica Q also happened to work very well in pretty heavy rainfall, proving it is somewhat resident to weather, but don't quote me on this. In my experience it did very very well."

I have just spent two months split between the Andes and the Amazon across Peru, Colombia and Brazil with my Q so extreme temperatures, humidity and altitude. No problems at all also my Filson Magnum Harvey bag fine. Camera performed well and got some nice shots. Nice piece of kit.   

• Like 4