SL for Wildlife ??

didier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I will probably have a trip to Namibia and Zambia next August.
I am a long time M shooter and shoot exclusively with my Ms. For Namibia and Safaris I plan to get a new body and longer lenses.
From what I have read, I should go for a body allowing long telephotos such as 200-500m, 300m with 2* extender, ... and maybe even with an APS-C body (Nikon D500 ??).

I'd like the idea to get a body that can also be used with my M lenses, but so far, the longest SL-zoom seems on the short side ? (and there is no extender, am I right ??)

Thanks for any comments / point of vues !

Didier

I'm going to Namibia end of April. A landscape workshop and wildlife safari. I have done endless heart searching and consulted all over but, despite wishing to take Leicas the consensus has been to take my Fuji X system - the X-T1 with X-E2 as backup with lenses 10-24, 18-55, 55-200 and 100-400. It is an APS-C system. All lenses have IS and both cameras have automatic sensor cleaning .The whole bag with batteries = 7.5kg, and less than 10kg total with the 3LT Brian tripod.

I often use my M lenses on the Fujis.

However, I am looking at ways to get my SL there as well with the Voigt Heliar III 15mm and one or more of the Summicron 50, the Summicron APO 90 or APO Telyt 135.

Edited by rafikiphoto

You could use the new Fuji XPro2 with the excellent 100-400mm. The XPro2 is APSC so you'd have the equivalent of 600mm in 35mm terms. It also has brilliant image stabilisation. There is a 1.4x converter available as well.

the XPro2 has tactile shutter and aperture controls just like your M. 24MP files and AF. It has a window finder like the M which switches to an EVF with the flick of a switch. It's the same size and shape but lighter as the M. As an M user you'd find it a reasonably easy camera to interact with.

The only issue is the aperture ring is the wrong way around (like Nikon). You'll get used to it.

There is an M adaptor available. Your M lenses would, of course, be cropped to APSC. Fuji also makes a fabulous range of auto focus primes to suit.

I am extremely pleased with my XPro2.

Gordon

I have an SL, but I rely on a Canon 5Ds + AF 100-400 L for "safari" or "wildlife" .

Main strength: It also serves for macro (minimum distance less than 1m, ca. 80 cm in my lens). To my knowledge the only "long" lens capable ot it.

The 5Ds can also be used cropped (1.3 or 1.6) so I have up to 640mm equivalent with high quality (50, 30, 20 Mpixel). Or I can crop at home in LR, which is even more flexible. If this is still not enough I can add a 1.4 extender which results in 900mm equivalent - but actually I have never needed it.

For wide-angle and "low-light" I use the SL with M glass (WATE and 35), sometimes also with the R 50 or R 80. I do not need AF in wide angles. The SL finder is very nice for this (and also offers focus peaking). I prefer this to AF because it gives me more choice where to put the focus (e.g. far off center). And in very dark conditions it is much faster than AF for me. (Often the AF assist light is very annoying and needs to be turned off.)

Bad: I have 2 cameras. Good: Because of this split setup I do not often need to switch lenses (only occasionally on the SL).

Another Good: Each camera uses its "own" lenses, which is usually optimal. I prefer the SL, but just as well you could take your favourite M.

Stephan

According to Reid Reviews a M or a SL are clearly the best bodies for M lenses. So as a long-time M enthusiast, you will probably not be completely happy with a "foreign" camera for M glass. It depends on your expectations.

Edited by steppenw0lf

To avoid any confusion, the lens is the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM .

Minimum distance is officially .98 m , with 0.31x maximum magnification.

There are older models or non-L models and they are cheaper, but not my recommendation.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all,

I will probably have a trip to Namibia and Zambia next August.

I am a long time M shooter and shoot exclusively with my Ms. For Namibia and Safaris I plan to get a new body and longer lenses.

From what I have read, I should go for a body allowing long telephotos such as 200-500m, 300m with 2* extender, ... and maybe even with an APS-C body (Nikon D500 ??).

I'd like the idea to get a body that can also be used with my M lenses, but so far, the longest SL-zoom seems on the short side ? (and there is no extender, am I right ??)

Thanks for any comments / point of vues !

Didier

If I were going on a safari photo trip and felt that I needed a very long lens with fast automation (focusing, exposing, etc) today, I'd bring my Olympus E-M1 with the grip and the ZD 50-200mm f/2.8-4 lens, and the EC-14 teleconverter. That's the smallest, lightest setup that would get me a relatively fast-lensed, 560mm effective field of view with outstanding image stabilization and 1,500 exposures on a charge of its batteries. Excellent image quality, and excellent for hand-held work from a moving Land Rover or Toyota Land Cruiser.

A heck of a lot less to carry than any full-frame camera with 600mm lens, and I think it would be better than anything available for the SL for that specific purpose until a much longer lens is available. 

To avoid any confusion, the lens is the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM .

Minimum distance is officially .98 m , with 0.31x maximum magnification.

There are older models or non-L models and they are cheaper, but not my recommendation.

But don't use the first version of the Canon 100-400 L. It is optically disappointing and a dust pump.

Actually I think by far the best long zoom ever built is the Leica-R 105-280 4.2 (with Apo-extender 1.4x or 2x if needed). It should be a fine match with the SL.

AF is highly overrated on safari, You want to focus on the eye and such, which is a hassle with AF.

I'm with you here.  I think the E-M1 with their constant 2.8 zooms are very compelling in terms of size and overall image quality

If I were going on a safari photo trip and felt that I needed a very long lens with fast automation (focusing, exposing, etc) today, I'd bring my Olympus E-M1 with the grip and the ZD 50-200mm f/2.8-4 lens, and the EC-14 teleconverter. That's the smallest, lightest setup that would get me a relatively fast-lensed, 560mm effective field of view with outstanding image stabilization and 1,500 exposures on a charge of its batteries. Excellent image quality, and excellent for hand-held work from a moving Land Rover or Toyota Land Cruiser.

A heck of a lot less to carry than any full-frame camera with 600mm lens, and I think it would be better than anything available for the SL for that specific purpose until a much longer lens is available. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your inputs !

Very interesting to see the majority is for APS-C or micro 4/3 bodies.

I've read the IQ of the EM1 is now a bit under market standard, particularly as far as high iso and dynamic are concerned. Any comments ?

Will the XT2 or OM1 mkII be released soon enough to have it in August ?

thnaks

Didier

EM-1 with Oly 40-150mm 2.8

Once good, always good. Cameras don't get worse because a new one may be coming.

(sorry, first photo attachment and its super low rez, much better when its not 63kb...)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by 349A

• 8 months later...

Some of us hope to see longer SL lenses one day. It will not be in 2017, but hopefully not too far into the future. Some of us are also eagerly waiting for an extender to be used with the SL 90-280 zoom, anything between 1.4x to 2x would be great.

In the mean time ... could those of you that have experience with, say, 300+ mm on SL, report your experience(s)?

We know that the R-280 APO f4 (with 1.4x and 2.0x APO extenders) is outstanding. The SL 90-280 is excellent as well, but in contrast to the R-lens(es), extenders are not available for the SL zoom. On the longer end (and at a reasonable cost), Canon FD 500 f4.5L works fine as well. 

Any input/views/additions/suggestions from the forum followers?

Edited by helged

Some of us hope to see longer SL lenses one day. It will not be in 2017, but hopefully not too far into the future. Some of us are also eagerly waiting for an extender to be used with the SL 90-280 zoom, anything between 1.4x to 2x would be great.

In the mean time ... could those of you that have experience with, say, 300+ mm on SL, report your experience(s)?

We know that the R-280 APO f4 (with 1.4x and 2.0x APO extenders) is outstanding. The SL 90-280 is excellent as well, but in contrast to the R-lens(es), extenders are not available for the SL zoom. On the longer end (and at a reasonable cost), Canon FD 500 f4.5L works fine as well. 

2x or even 1.4x extender would make the 90-280 lens hardly useful, too slow aperture wise

• Like 1

The R 2.8/280 with both apo extenders works perfectly on the SL.

It is bigger but also offers an additional stop. So if you already have this 4/400 and 5.6/560 there is no urgent need for a SL lens.

Norbert Rosing has been using the modular system on the SL (unfortunately far too expensive for normal users, even second-hand)

In the worst case you could use a Canon 2.8/400 with Novoflex adptr. a professional lens, with good AF. (according to Novoflex list)

Or the Nikon 200-500, or the 4/600 officially supported by Novoflex, but I have not seen any test reports.

I would like to hear about reports of them.

• Like 1

I've been very happy with the SL for wildlife, coupled with the Leica R Apo-Telyt 280 f/2.8 and extenders.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Likaleica
  • Like 8

We know that the R-280 APO f4 (with 1.4x and 2.0x APO extenders) is outstanding. The SL 90-280 is excellent as well, but in contrast to the R-lens(es), extenders are not available for the SL zoom. On the longer end (and at a reasonable cost), Canon FD 500 f4.5L works fine as well.

I also have the R-280 APO f2,8 ROM (with 1.4x and ROM 2x APO extenders).

I find it hard to use handheld. That's when I really miss an in-camera stabilisation.

Better to use it with a good gimbal head.

And for the moment the Apo-Extender 2x ROM doesn't work properly with the Leica R-Adapter SL.

You will need to use the stacked Leica adapters (R-M-SL) with it to be able to dial an equivalent focal lens in the camera.

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 1