Black and White Image Thread

kalifornier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Playground

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

[ M10 ; Heliar 10 mm ]

• Like 18

• Replies 21.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frame-it

• mikozia

• stephan54

• Suuumm55

Fallen angel.

[ M9 ; Apo 90 asph ]

• Like 7

Fraport

• Like 15

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i like it very much

Yes, I like it, too. "Private" begins in focus, then reading, you go out of focus . . . to the private zone of blur. Cool composition.

Thank you both very much.

Rog, you always express so well what my subconscious is thinking before I take the shot.

I read somewhere recently that our peripheral vision is processed by the right hand side of the brain; the subconscious loves it there. I look straight ahead subduing the natural behaviour of the left hand side of the brain trying to process central vision. I then wait for the right hand side to kick-in and pick the shot.

• Like 3

Mannequin Door Diptych

M246 APO-Summicron-M 50mm LHSA

• Like 9

Thank you both very much.

Rog, you always express so well what my subconscious is thinking before I take the shot.

I read somewhere recently that our peripheral vision is processed by the right hand side of the brain; the subconscious loves it there. I look straight ahead subduing the natural behaviour of the left hand side of the brain trying to process central vision. I then wait for the right hand side to kick-in and pick the shot.

Wow, do you have a handle on the circus of synapses, and it's all happening in a nanosecond! Thanks so much for the footnote on peripheral vision because that is something that gets marginalized and falls to the wayside when thinking about focus and vision. I love it that the subconscious has a time share on the sunny shores of the righthand side of the brain. I swear a lot of the time I'm just trying to wake up my unconscious and lucky enough to get a blink or two on film. BTW Thanks so much for giving birth to the "Abstract" thread. So cool.

Cheers,

Rog

• Like 2

Louis Vuitton in Paris

Leica Q

• Like 13

Ghost train running.

• Like 12

Wow, do you have a handle on the circus of synapses, and it's all happening in a nanosecond! Thanks so much for the footnote on peripheral vision because that is something that gets marginalized and falls to the wayside when thinking about focus and vision. I love it that the subconscious has a time share on the sunny shores of the righthand side of the brain. I swear a lot of the time I'm just trying to wake up my unconscious and lucky enough to get a blink or two on film. BTW Thanks so much for giving birth to the "Abstract" thread. So cool.Cheers,Rog

I think it was Baroness Susan Greefield who likened the subconscious to a discordant orchestra with the synapses firing randomly without a conductor, until they resonate like the individual members of the orchestra eventually playing in harmony on their own. Although this somewhat goes against the grain of the second law... in the short term at least. (In the long term the 2nd law will win.)

All I know is that our peripheral vision has the potential for picture making, if we allow it, especially if, like me, you have a tendency for analysis, which can lead to paralysis with too many choices to be made.

• Like 1

SL with 28mm lux

Postprocessing LR

• Like 17

This is very nice. It's very tall, did the 28 require a lot of cropping?

Thank you!

I did not crop this picture, just some upright (auto upright) after converting the picture in BW. Probably is that the reason why the building looks "tall"

There is also  a good italian restaurant at the top of the building called  "la cupola" - Brunswick- Germany

• Like 1

Thank you!

I did not crop this picture, just some upright (auto upright) after converting the picture in BW. Probably is that the reason why the building looks "tall"

I like the framing and the b/w conversion. However, I am rather old-fashioned in my views on LR perspective control. To me, it feels too much like cheating (no offence meant!) - I feel that either a view camera or a tilt/shift lens should be employed. I love my 24 PC-E, but that would have to be in another forum ;)

• Like 2

I like the framing and the b/w conversion. However, I am rather old-fashioned in my views on LR perspective control. To me, it feels too much like cheating (no offence meant!) - I feel that either a view camera or a tilt/shift lens should be employed. I love my 24 PC-E, but that would have to be in another forum ;)

I do have a shift (Pentax 28mm shift, not tilt/shift) lens, but as i did not use it for a long time i just put it on "sell" a few day ago. It might be a better idea to keep and play with it .... :)

• Like 2

Ditto for me. I use a 24 PC as well but now that I've gone over to the Q side, the 28 lens offers me less and less really good architectural shots where plumb lines are essential (in my view). I don't do any post processing except for B&W conversion and cropping(really old fashioned). So I back up and back up and try not to tilt the camera and end up cropping to reduce the enormous foreground that results, hence, my question about cropping.

By the way, BlackDoc, that image should be posted in the Architectural Thread, as it really could use the high quality input.

• Like 2

Ditto for me. I use a 24 PC as well but now that I've gone over to the Q side, the 28 lens offers me less and less really good architectural shots [...]

Special lenses like the tilt/shift, macro, ultra-tele are the main reason (besides the occasional rough traveling) for me to cling on to my battered Nikon DSLR, although again and again I vow to de-clutter my gear park ;)

• Like 1

Stuttgart

Summilux 50asph on M10

• Like 11