Anyone has or had both the T and Q ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a Leica Q available to me , however , I do have the Leica T with 4 lenses , including the 11-23.

If you have both these cameras or had them , what are your comments.

I am very attracted to the Leica Q , since I acquired the 11-23 , I shoot mostly with that lens.

Thanks

Peter

There is a Leica Q available to me , however , I do have the Leica T with 4 lenses , including the 11-23.

If you have both these cameras or had them , what are your comments.

I am very attracted to the Leica Q , since I acquired the 11-23 , I shoot mostly with that lens.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter.  I have both now.  Liking the Q so far, especially after figuring which settings worked best, which are not the default.  The T though is a far more versatile camera.  I also am not a big fan of 28mm(about 18mm T lens) so finding that to be sometimes annoying on the Q.  But the images out if the Q are excellent.  But not replacing the T.  Having interchangeable lenses is a huge plus. 

• Like 2

Hi Peter.  I have both now.  Liking the Q so far, especially after figuring which settings worked best, which are not the default.  The T though is a far more versatile camera.  I also am not a big fan of 28mm(about 18mm T lens) so finding that to be sometimes annoying on the Q.  But the images out if the Q are excellent.  But not replacing the T.  Having interchangeable lenses is a huge plus. 

Absolutely, having interchangeable lenses is a big plus, combined with the anticipation of a possibly T2 probably by the end of the year, can you comment on the comparative image quality, or would it only make a difference if one prints frequently ?

• Like 1

Hello Peter:

Goggling 'Leica T vs Leica Q' produces many results.

===

You may find it difficult to give up your 11-23 range!!

I did google Leica T versus Leica Q , it did bring up some comparative stats, however, none where one had actually used both.

You're quite right , the 11-23 is a fantastic lens, and I am really at a quandary whether I should spend C$6000 on the Q, being reluctant

to sell the T, mostly what I am interested in is Image quality, in addition to convenience , it seems  rather nice to have one compact unit, rather than a sack of lenses , changing lenses in the field or outdoors is always a hassle, not to speak of dust or possible damage.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do not have a T system. But surely the full-frame Q will always have a quality edge over a camera with a smaller sensor, even when slightly cropped. There is the added simplicity of no lens-changing which in many situations is an advantage.

Edited by wda

I currently own and shoot with a Q and a T. Over the course of the last year, I've accumulated the 4 T lenses. I typically shoot architecture, street and general urban photography. I tend to default to the Q, except when the quarters are close, them I use the 11-23. I also shoot my kids sporting events and use the 55-135 in that scenario. I couldn't work with just the Q, but I am counting on the T to improve because the image quality just isn't as good. If T2 doesn't provide a substantial bump in specs, I may need to walk away from the T entirely. In summary, I find I NEED the flexibility of the T, but I WANT the image quality of the Q.

I currently own and shoot with a Q and a T. Over the course of the last year, I've accumulated the 4 T lenses. I typically shoot architecture, street and general urban photography. I tend to default to the Q, except when the quarters are close, them I use the 11-23. I also shoot my kids sporting events and use the 55-135 in that scenario. I couldn't work with just the Q, but I am counting on the T to improve because the image quality just isn't as good. If T2 doesn't provide a substantial bump in specs, I may need to walk away from the T entirely. In summary, I find I NEED the flexibility of the T, but I WANT the image quality of the Q.

These are pretty much my thoughts, it looks like I'll be acquiring a Leica Q, The Camera Store in Calgary has a liberal 14 day return policy, so I'll have some overlap, however , I live 5 hrs driving from Calgary, through snowy mountain roads, so not a great incentive to return it.

Thanks for your comments

Peter

Absolutely, having interchangeable lenses is a big plus, combined with the anticipation of a possibly T2 probably by the end of the year, can you comment on the comparative image quality, or would it only make a difference if one prints frequently ?

The Q images, to my eyes, are as good as the M in most cases.  Hands down, better images than the T.  But comes with limitations where if I had to make a choice, would pick the T.  If the Q were 50mm, I could conceivably be happy with just the Q.  It is that good.

I have both. Q and T with 18-56 and 55-135. I sold the 23 Cron, as that was the overlap I saw with the Q. 

The Q is a different animal to me. Spectacular in every way, but closer to an AF M, than a possible system replacement. 

The T doesn't get nearly the same use but that has to do mostly with my style of shooting. I've been toying with the idea of selling it, but I still need a casual zoom and AF system, and any equivalent replacement would be little saving compared to what I can get for my system. I don't think one replaces the other, they compliment each other. If the T2 has a built in EVF and IBIS, I'm keeping it forever as IQ to me is top notch. 

I had both when the Q came out but sold the Q and kept the T system. However I also have Leica M.

The Q is a very nice camera but for me the 23/2.0 is the more usefull focal length.

And the ability to switch lenses is such a big plus. In regards of image quality I did not see a big advantage for the Q. Maybe in regards of dynamic range, however in regards of color I even prefer the more natural default look of the T images.

One more note: The Q has the advantage that the viewfinder is included, but the T visoflex is larger and IMO the better viewfinder.

(I am also one of those who do not prefer the Q sensor- output over the M sensor output by the way.)

I have both and I usually carry both with me as well, the T in that case equipped with the 18-56 zoom for additional versatility. 

If you love the 28mm focal length you will adore the Q and it might very well be the only camera that you need...

Compared to the T the Q has better high ISO capabilities and in general it is a faster camera.  Its files are closer to the M9 than they are to the M240 and I personally like to think that is a good thing...

Both are well balanced and a joy to shoot.  They both also fit my hands perfectly.  

I personally would not sell one to buy the other but if you can own both you should definitely go for it!

Edited by JorisV

I have both and I usually carry both with me as well, the T in that case equipped with the 18-56 zoom for additional versatility. 

If you love the 28mm focal length you will adore the Q and it might very well be the only camera that you need...

Compared to the T the Q has better high ISO capabilities and in general it is a faster camera.  Its files are closer to the M9 than they are to the M240 and I personally like to think that is a good thing...

Both are well balanced and a joy to shoot.  They both also fit my hands perfectly.  

I personally would not sell one to buy the other but if you can own both you should definitely go for it!

I may very well keep both cameras, although I might sell some of my 4 T lenses , which ones will be hard to decide, all of them are outstanding , the 11-23 is my favorite T lens , which of course overlaps with the Leica Q.

Thanks for your comments

Peter

I may very well keep both cameras, although I might sell some of my 4 T lenses , which ones will be hard to decide, all of them are outstanding , the 11-23 is my favorite T lens , which of course overlaps with the Leica Q.

Thanks for your comments

Peter

If were me, I would hang onto those T lenses since you are as invested in it.  Question.  Have you owned or shot with an M?   If not, you might consider getting a used M240 and M lens for what the Q might cost?  The 28mm Summicron Asph is very reasonable on the used market.  Just food for thought.

Edited by billinghambaglady

If were me, I would hang onto those T lenses since you are as invested in it.  Question.  Have you owned or shot with an M?   If not, you might consider getting a used M240 and M lens for what the Q might cost?  The 28mm Summicron Asph is very reasonable on the used market.  Just food for thought.

Hi, I actually have had a number of film M's and a M8 a few years back, really enjoyed those cameras (if I only had kept all those lenses).

I just drove down from Kimberley B.C. to Calgary and picked up the Leica Q from The Camera Store, I have used the Leica Q before, but again it was

"love at first sight"

An M240 is an attractive suggestion, however, I really like the AF of the Q , I most likely keep the Q and for the moment keep all my T equipment and see how I use them.

Thanks

Peter

Hi, I actually have had a number of film M's and a M8 a few years back, really enjoyed those cameras (if I only had kept all those lenses).

I just drove down from Kimberley B.C. to Calgary and picked up the Leica Q from The Camera Store, I have used the Leica Q before, but again it was

"love at first sight"

An M240 is an attractive suggestion, however, I really like the AF of the Q , I most likely keep the Q and for the moment keep all my T equipment and see how I use them.

Thanks

Peter

Sounds good, Peter.  Your going to like the Q.

Yes Peter, do keep us posted in this thread.

Would love to see the Q counterpart of some of those gorgeous 11-23 shots that you posted a few months ago, esp the one of the broad valley floor. Yup, I can wait until the valley snow is gone.