Summilux TL available

Here we go: first thoughts on the Summilux-TL:

What a lens. it is big, especially a large diameter. It is quite heavy, but does not feel unbalanced when mounted on the T. The massive hood is really nice, though it looks a bit frightening to people - would recommend removing it indoors. It locks already after about 30 degrees of rotation, compared to the 90 degrees on the other T lenses. Without the hood, the T is stealthy as always.

Let's talk about focus: the AF is fast. Fast as in really fast. This is due to the f/1.4 aperture. As soon as some daylight is available, it locks in <0.5s when moving from infinity to about 0.5m. At smaller differences it is even faster. When it gets darker, things get slower, but not by much, i feel it is still very usable. Speaking of usable, the touch AF comes in really handy when working somewhere close to minimum focussing distance - the DOF is tiny and focussing and recomposing won't work very well at f/1.4.

Image quality is one of Leica's favourite points when talking about their lenses, and this baby has it:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is a quarter of the original image (4.3MP), shot at f/1.4 and ISO 1250 (the lens arrived really late that day)

It has been rainy since then, so i'll give you some more images later on, for now i'm adding a few more samples.

So far, i can really recommend this lens for T users, compared to the 23mm it is in its own league, The only T lens that can rival the quality of these images is the APO-Vario-Elmar-T 55-135.

• Like 5

Outdoors (f/2.5)

f/1.4 ISO 1600

• Like 4

f/1.4 ISO 1250

Guest Alxndr

PS1: For some or the other reason the link in my last message is not working; but you know where to find it.

PS2: There seems to be a much smaller lenshood available for the lens, but it's not included. I've seen it somewhere, but I can't find it right now.  It's a bit an M-like hood.

Edited by Alxndr

Guest Alxndr

PS3: Found it!

Best and latest rumours here: http://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-T/Lenses-for-Leica-T/Leica-Summilux-TL 35 mm-f-1.4-ASPH

Links to technical data here: http://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-T/Lenses-for-Leica-T/Leica-Summilux-TL 35 mm-f-1.4-ASPH/Downloads

Compatible cameras: All Leica T models, Leica SL (Typ 601)

How many T models are there? 

Guest Alxndr

It's an amazing lens...

• Like 3

Here's my write-up about the Summilux-TL! I have real-world samples as well: https://fstoppers.com/originals/hands-new-leica-summilux-tl-35mm-f14-lens-121465

Thank you for this, I was going to ask today if anyone had written any reviews about it. Good to hear the AF is good in good light, because when I used it for a few minutes in low light I found the  AF very slow. I will have the chance next week to try it again. I also found it heavy and long and maybe a bit unbalanced on the T, but I like the fact that you found it well balanced after you started using it. Do you have maybe some DNG files you can share?

By the way, one minor correction. On your What's good section it should be "Works on all TL-mount cameras".