SF-60 Flash?

jto555

Sadly, anything but "Metz  for Leica" these days.. :(

Unfortunately you are correct. I used a 45CT4 then a 60CT4. They were bullet proof and it is only now that other manufactures have caught up with those units in terms of power output. Metz last offerings feel very plastic and are overpriced compared to some of the quite reliably Chinese flashguns.

I have the Leica SF58 (really a Metz 58) and I find the menu system just gets in the way of using the flashgun. Trying to change the power output while shooting in manual is a pain. Drilling down in a menu to find the menu to change the power setting and then set it takes too long on a busy shoot. While with my Chinese cheepie flashgun, a Godox V560, I just turn a wheel at the back and carry on shooting.

Metz just didn’t keep pace with the competition.

I hope that Leica can add the wireless reeiver equilivent to Nissin's Air R for Leica application. this way the earlier Leica flashes SF40, SF58 & SF64 can be used as OCF as well.

The Nissin transmitter reaches only upto a distance of 30 meter, probably under optimal circumstances, while a comparable Elinchrom transmitter reaches upto 200 meter.

The Nissin transmitter reaches only upto a distance of 30 meter, probably under optimal circumstances, while a comparable Elinchrom transmitter reaches upto 200 meter.

Well, I think 30m is good enough for portraits and events :) .

Nevertheless, I'm off to the Photography Show this morning, if the roads are clear of snow, and will be looking at the Godox/Pixapro options to replace my manual Nikon/Pocketwizard off camera system for the SL.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Well, I think 30m is good enough for portraits and events :) .

Nevertheless, I'm off to the Photography Show this morning, if the roads are clear of snow, and will be looking at the Godox/Pixapro options to replace my manual Nikon/Pocketwizard off camera system for the SL.

For the record, and because this low cost equipment has been discussed often on this forum..........

I bought (all as Pixapro-branded equivalents) two AD200 strobes, one V850ii speedlight, and one Xpro Canon-specific hotshoe wireless controller.

They all work as they should straight out of the box (no TTL and no HSS, of course ), on both the CL and the SL: I can trigger both the AD200s using either the Xpro controller or the V850 (in master mode) on camera, and I can control the power settings of all three lights (V850 in slave mode) using the Xpro on camera or handheld. I can also use the XPro handheld to trigger the lights, which is useful for flash metering.

In the hand they all feel robust, but these days it's the innards that can go wrong, and only time will tell what they're like (2-year guarantee FWIW). The three things that attracted me to Godox are:

- the power of the AD200s in a compact package, ideal either for big locations or for softboxes

- the easy and intuitive interfaces, based on dials to control manual power and clear buttons on the Xpro for selecting and controlling individual lights. Godox has put some good work in here. The only trick I couldn't work out easily was switching the V850 from master to slave mode - but it's easy enough when you know how.

- chunky Li-ion batteries, which should cover most of my uses without needing spares (he says hopefully).

Time to put the old kit (multiple sets of Nikon SB28s and pocketwizard triggers) on ebay!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone come up with a guide number for the Profoto A1?  Since there's nothing on the internet I can find about that; it might be better or easier to compare power output between the Leica SF-60 and the Profoto A1 via it's watts per second.  The Profoto A1 is rated at 76 W/s.  If that's not possible, is there a way to come up with a guide number for the Profoto A1?  

Not talking about guide number, the Magmod Sphere light modifier will produce the effect of soft light closest to the Profoto A1.

I'm now waiting for SFC1 & SF60 + Magmod modifiers to provide 'fill light' needs for outdoor daylight potrait shoots.

I'm starting to be sold on this Magmod modifier, particularly after watching their video.  I like the magnetic feature of it as it reminds me of Profoto's A1 magnet system. 

I discovered Magmod light modifiers by accident, as I saw magmod modifier in one of Sal Cincotta's video (Profoto A1 ambassador). I was curious and checked out the magmod site and numerous videos and magmod community in Facebook. And eventually ordered the Magmod modifiers.

I was trully impressed by the Profoto A1 video results of the soft light effect it could deliver out of such a small package. I'm not a pro, so cannot afford to hire a donkey to move bulky lighting gears around. Besides, it would make sense to travel compact by air. The Profoto A1 also has the convinent feature of TTL memory that could be switched over to manual mode by the flick of a switch. Since Profoto A1 do not support Leica, thus the TTL & HSS function of Profoto A1 cannot be used on my SL & M10. As Leica replied my email in 2017 promising to deliver a wireless flash trigger for TTL & HSS solution in 2018, I strated planning and waiting. I asked myself what can duplicate the effects of Profoto A1 for my Leica camera gear? I found that in theory, the Magmod Sphere on the SF60 should be duplicating close effect of Profoto A1. Only concern at this point is the power of SF60 at HSS application which I intend to use it as fill light for outdoor shoot. So only after I get my hands on the SF60, SFC1 with magmod sphere can I determine if I have a close enough solution to Profoto A1.

Btw, Another video clip by B&H showing the soon to be released Leica SF60 & SFC1. You can see the make shift Leica logo on the Nissin Flash I60A (probabily a working prototype):

https://www.bhphotov...-a-lot-to-leica

In the video, you can see the SFC1 toggle between TTL mode to Manual mode by the press of the lower left button. This is the useful feature to trial the shot with TTL follow by locking the light setting when it switches to manual mode + fine adjustments. Convinent feature to replace the cumbersome light meter taking on subject to determine the proper light intensity through F stop interpretation.

Unfortunately the link does not take me directly to the video your talking about.  I do like the idea of it keeping the TTL setting when it's turned to manual for easy tweaking up or down if necessary like what happens with the Profoto A1.  In fact I'm shocked this new Leica flash would even come close to that feature.    However, I shoot film with the Leica R9; meaning I don't have a preview window to show me if the TTL mode it working the way I want it to...so for me; I'll just have to trust the system, or do a quick check with a incident meter to see how it's performing.  And, of course I'm assuming it will work with the R9. 

The HSS feature probably will help tame bright ambient light only somewhat, say like 1.5 stops.  And, probably with a aperture that's hot quite wide open since the new flash won't be that powerful so depending on the lens; there may not be too much out of focus area past the subject (again; based on the length of the lens.)   On the other hand, one should be able to shoot wide open in HSS mode while controlling the ambient light as long as they are in a good shaded area.  Otherwise the best one might hope for in blistering sun is either equaling out the light, or controlling it somewhat, but only if the aperture is somewhat less than wide open. 

• 4 weeks later...

I tried searching for new news, but couldn't find it. 

By the way about controlling ambient light, since I'm sure it's not possible to control ambient light with the aperture wide open (as I would like it to do;) so I'm guessing it might be very possible in the most harshest light if the aperture is small.  So we'll see if it's powerful enough to do that. 

It says "Available from April 2018." 

It's still April, so it should not be too long from now even if it's sometime in May. 

I still have my fingers crossed it will be compatible with my R9.  It's not listed as one of the compatible cameras, but the R9 does do TTL with an older Leica flash I bought some years ago.  The R9 I believe is capable of HSS, but I never upgraded my current Leica flash for that feature. 

At least with the SF60, it will do both and is wireless all at the same time!

Edited by thebarnman

• 1 month later...

I contacted Leica last week - answer was begin of June. I contacted an owner of a shop today, he does not know more.

Therefore I expect availibility in course of June/ begin of July. Nissin has this flash for more than one year in production for other brands under the Nissin trademark. For Leica they had to change some things - mainly the software.

The information I've received from Leica 2 weeks ago was also the release date for SF60 & SFC1 will be early June. No information from Leica Stores as yet. The Leica websites are currently undergoing maintenance now. So when it gets revived, hopefully there will be info on SF60 & SFC1. There could be a possibility of announcement on 4th June 2018.

My contact to Leica directly on this subject started last year Q4. It is now middle of 2018. A conceived mother would have already given birth,...yet Leica is still figuring when to release a rebadge existing Nissin product. 

You people are all so impatient.

You fail to appreciate the delicacy and precision and the rigourous control processes needed to fit a Red Dot in precisely the correct place to give that perfect balance and handling which makes the Leica brand stand for the ultimate in qaulity.

You people are all so impatient.

You fail to appreciate the delicacy and precision and the rigourous control processes needed to fit a Red Dot in precisely the correct place to give that perfect balance and handling which makes the Leica brand stand for the ultimate in qaulity.

I will agree with you if it were a Leica developed product.

For this SL40, SL60 & SFC1 are all existing Nissin product available in the market for other camera brands (Canon, Nikon, Fuji,....) for more than a year ago. 

I must say your patience is wrongly placed for this item.

• Like 1